Oops Miles Austin?

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I was watching highlights on NFL.com and noticed something about Patrick Crayton's TD catch... Luck? maybe more than we think? Right place, right time? Maybe more than we realize?

3rd and 11 from the 15. Austin is outside, Crayton to his right. Both run up and to the endzone and turn. As Romo moves away from the pocket he motions for somebody to go out (to his left) before he throws.

Looking at the routes they ran, it'd seem he was motioning to Crayton, maybe for a fade. Austin was coming in and in front of Crayton and had to leap for the ball. Thankfully it hit off his hands and into the hand of Crayton.

here's the video: http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80b61876

YIkes did we get lucky?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you are referring to the tip by Austin, I think everyone is aware of that and it has been talked about.

As for Romo motioning, the receivers did what they were supposed to. Crayton ran to the left as Romo requested and Austin did what receivers are taught to do when the quarterback leaves the pocket and that's to come back toward the line. The only problem was the ball was high (if thrown to Austin) and he wasn't able to grab it.

However, given the height and speed of the throw, I thought it was meant for Crayton all along and not Austin but it looked like Crayton slowed his route slightly and I'm not sure he would have caught it had Austin not tipped it.

-Reality

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I read an article where Crayton said that TD play is one they ran in training. Just because that he has a chance to catch the ball too. That's why he knew he had a chance on it and was concentrated.

Take it for what you want could be Crayton talking also.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
This stuff happens all the time in the NFL. It is luck if it benefits the Cowboys. Skill if it is someone against the Cowboys according to Aikman.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Ball hit Austin in the hands, and could have easily bounced into a Bungals hands. His mits have worried me since the game in Washington last year.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
EPL0c0;2318080 said:
YIkes did we get lucky?

FYI: Any tipped ball thats caught by your team is as you said, "Lucky". The fact that it was for a TD is even more so.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Austin should have caught the ball. He didn't jump for it much. It was off his hands and he barely left the ground.

Stuff like that is there all game long. On that simple pattern, Austin was wide open. He and the other WRs have to do better at catching the ball, and Romo has to be more accurate.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Double Trouble;2318257 said:
Austin should have caught the ball. He didn't jump for it much. It was off his hands and he barely left the ground.

Stuff like that is there all game long. On that simple pattern, Austin was wide open. He and the other WRs have to do better at catching the ball, and Romo has to be more accurate.

ROMO MORE ACCURATE?

His NFL passing % and QB ratings is right up there with best ever in NFL history

superpunk

Reaction score
I doubt there's ever a situation where the idea is for two receivers to be that close. Miles was at fault IMO, but there's no way to know. I observed the same thing to my wife right after it happened, just using common sense on Romo's motion and where Crayton ended up - that was where Tony was trying to go, Miles just got in the way, lol.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
I kinda took it from Romo's post game news interview that the ball was intended for Austin. Crayton said something that he was ready for it because they have a "Distraction" drill run by Ray Sherman in Practice.

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
dmq;2318168 said:
This stuff happens all the time in the NFL. It is luck if it benefits the Cowboys. Skill if it is someone against the Cowboys according to Aikman.

:laugh2: too true

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
This is the last piece of austin's development. He makes mental mistakes. He ruined a drive against the Commanders on a 3rd and 7 that should have been an easy pitch and catch, he didnt read the defense correctly and we had to punt.

He did it again in the 4th.

As soon as he gets the mental aspect of the game down he will be a very good player, but for now what I think is limiting his snaps is his mental breakdowns.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I don't care who it was too, who wound up catching it for the Boys, or if it was luck or what. Crayton caught it, Boys won, that's all that matters to me. :p