Opinion: Best Case Scenario for Cowboys Defensive Line

Jumbo075

Reaction score
In my opinion, the best case scenario is for the Cowboys to have their top drafted defensive linemen playing. And more often than not, the draft pedigree of the player in question points to their skilled level. Of course, there are exceptions we can all point to. But it is more likely that higher drafted players will be the better players on your team.

Here is the draft order of the Cowboys existing roster of defensive linemen:

• 3rd - 1st round, 2010 - Gerald McCoy - DT, Oklahoma
  • 7th - 1st round, 2011 - Aldon Smith - DE, Missouri
  • 11th - 1st round, 2012 - Dontari Poe - DT, Memphis
  • 34th - 2nd round, 2014 - DeMarcus Lawrence - DE, Boise State
  • 58th - 2nd round, 2019 - Trysten Hill - DT, Central Florida
  • 60th - 2nd round, 2015 - Randy Gregory - DE, Nebraska
  • 81st - 3rd round, 2012 - Tyrone Crawford - DE, Boise State
  • 82nd - 3rd round, 2020 - Neville Gallimore - DT, Oklahoma
  • 116th - 4th round, 2018 - Dorance Armstrong - DE, Kansas
  • 165th - 5th round, 2019 - Joe Jackson - DE, Miami (FL)
  • 179th - 5th round, 2020 - Bradlee Anae - DE, Utah
  • 241st - 7th round, 2019 - Jalen Jelks - DE, Oregon
  • Undrafted - 2015 - Justin Hamilton, DT, Louisiana-Lafayette
  • Undrafted - 2016 - Antwaun Woods, DT, USC
  • Undrafted - 2020 - Ron'Dell Carter - DE, James Madison
  • Undrafted - 2020 - LaDarius Hamilton - DE, North Texas
  • Undrafted - 2020 - Garrett Marino, DT, Alabama-Birmingham
Here is the best case scenario for the 8-man, game-day rotation on the Defensive Line for the Cowboys:
  • LDE - DeMarcus Lawrence (2nd round pick), Tyrone Crawford (3rd round pick)
  • 3DT - Gerald McCoy (1st round pick), Neville Gallimore (3rd round pick)
  • 1DT - Dontari Poe (1st round pick), Trysten Hill (2nd round pick)
  • RDE - Aldon Smith (1st round pick), Randy Gregory (2nd round pick)
A starting line-up of three 1st round picks, and one high 2nd round pick, backed up by two 2nd round picks and two 3rd round picks should be a good scenario for the Cowboys. The Cowboys starters will be older, but still talented - much like to older, talented Oline the Cowboys had under Jimmy Johnson.

(Yes, I know some people already think Trysten Hill is a wasted pick, and he might be. But even the most jaundiced evaluators thought he would be a solid 3rd round pick a year ago. If he can be developed under the Cowboys new coaching staff, it is still too early to give up on him. It would be in the Cowboys best interest to develop his raw talent into a productive player.)

Let the other 9 Defensive Line players battle it out for the last 1-2 positions, and may the best men win. If one of them turns out to be a James Harrison, Jay Ratliff, or John Randle, then fantastic. But the safest bet is to count on those players who everyone thought had the greater amount of talent on draft day. Give me some top 100 draft pick players for my rotation, and I'll bet on those over long-shots like 3rd day picks and undrafted players.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Here is the best case scenario for the 8-man, game-day rotation on the Defensive Line for the Cowboys:
That's how I would have the best case, but I think the most likely case is Antwuan Woods as the backup 1T initially.

Also on Trysten Hill, doesn't it seems like older leaders like McCoy will have a big influence on Hill? One of the things they said about cutting Taco was that he was a bad influence on guys like Hill, you have to think McCoy could get through Hill's skull more than Marinelli did.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I really like the mix of young and not so young at DT.

I also think they've collected a handful of guys that can get to the QB if used properly.

I'm counting on Nolan to put it all together in the right rotation (and I think he will), but I've gotta give the FO props for the vast improvement in this area on paper anyway.

The Gallimore pick really capped it off.

cern

Reaction score
In my opinion, the best case scenario is for the Cowboys to have their top drafted defensive linemen playing. And more often than not, the draft pedigree of the player in question points to their skilled level. Of course, there are exceptions we can all point to. But it is more likely that higher drafted players will be the better players on your team.

A starting line-up of three 1st round picks, and one high 2nd round pick, backed up by two 2nd round picks and two 3rd round picks should be a good scenario for the Cowboys. The Cowboys starters will be older, but still talented - much like to older, talented Oline the Cowboys had under Jimmy Johnson.

(Yes, I know some people already think Trysten Hill is a wasted pick, and he might be. But even the most jaundiced evaluators thought he would be a solid 3rd round pick a year ago. If he can be developed under the Cowboys new coaching staff, it is still too early to give up on him. It would be in the Cowboys best interest to develop his raw talent into a productive player.)

Let the other 9 Defensive Line players battle it out for the last 1-2 positions, and may the best men win. If one of them turns out to be a James Harrison, Jay Ratliff, or John Randle, then fantastic. But the safest bet is to count on those players who everyone thought had the greater amount of talent on draft day. Give me some top 100 draft pick players for my rotation, and I'll bet on those over long-shots like 3rd day picks and undrafted players.
Hard to argue logic. With the possible exception being crawford.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Hill better improve..
It would be nice if he gave us anything at all at this point.

On the other hand, the guy is a very young rookie and had to deal with Rod.

My sympathy on the last part.

I just question whether Hill wants it or not.

Seems like the typical kid that has a few bucks in his pocket for the first time and thinks itll last forever.

I can see this guy five years from now (at 26 yo) being a decent rotational DT somewhere in the league.

I'm doubting its here. They'll probably need his roster spot before the light goes on.

Either way I'll never be able to hear this dudes name without envisioning Marinelli dancing in the draft room.

Pure dysfunction.

glimmerman

Reaction score
It would be nice if he gave us anything at all at this point.

On the other hand, the guy is a very young rookie and had to deal with Rod.

My sympathy on the last part.

I just question whether Hill wants it or not.

Seems like the typical kid that has a few bucks in his pocket for the first time and thinks itll last forever.

I can see this guy five years from now (at 26 yo) being a decent rotational DT somewhere in the league.

I'm doubting its here. They'll probably need his roster spot before the light goes on.

Either way I'll never be able to hear this dudes name without envisioning Marinelli dancing in the draft room.

Pure dysfunction.
I am not sure about our new DC. If he is no nonsense then Hill will be cut if he slacks. I actually wonder if there won’t be a example player. Someone that tries MM, a player that tries to get away with not respecting the HC. MM needs to show he is in charge and you can’t simply bypass him and go straight to JJ.

Could be a vet on the team. D-Law was telling rookies not to worry about JG because he didn’t run anything. Or that’s what I heard. I am not saying MM will cut D-Law but he may catch a fine or ride the pine for a minute.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Wonder who take the empty randy spot, armstrong or Bradley?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
  • Here is the best case scenario for the 8-man, game-day rotation on the Defensive Line for the Cowboys:

But for the drug issues, Gregory was consensus Top Ten.

The position line up distorts the best case. And it's better to separate base run defense from nickel.

DE - 3 man rotation of Smith, Gregory, and Lawrence
Run DT - 3 man rotation of McCoy, Poe, and Gallimore. (Hope Gallimore can backup both spots.)
Pass DT - 3 man rotation of McCoy, Crawford, Gallimore (maybe some Smith?)

I can't bring myself to include Hill in this. He was picked high, but was just *bad* last year. Best case scenario for him is that he *begins* to develop into an NFL player this year.

*If* Hill is supposed to live up to hype, I'd switch him and Gallimore. I can't see Hill at 1T. Even at his developmental best, he's burst over strength. Gallimore played 1T and is built like one. Best case for him is 1T with snaps weighted toward nickel.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
That's how I would have the best case, but I think the most likely case is Antwuan Woods as the backup 1T initially.

I think so too, but Jumbo seemed to want to get the guys with the highest ceilings on the field.

The practical ideal for 1T
Run - Poe, Woods
Pass - Gallimore, Poe

Woods is ignored too much. We've got two legitimate run stoppers at 1T this year. Marinelli would just carry 1, and we only got a legitimate one with Woods. When Woods got hurt, it was a debacle at 1T. We're protected for injury, and should be much more stout against jumbo packages, playing both. Gallimore should help there too.

Beaker42

Reaction score

Jumbo, do you not remember T-Craw absolutely BLOWING at DE? A corpse gets more pressure.

plasticman

Reaction score
Some past Cowboy linemen may disagree.

Jethro Pugh - played next to Bob Lilly, 13 seasons for an 11th round draft pick. Started 137 regular season games and 21 playoff games including 2 NFL championship games and 5 Super Bowls 5 Super Bowls.

Larry Cole - Another 13 year career, a 16th round draft pick and starter for 9 seasons played in all 5 Super Bowls, started, a DE with 4 INT's and 13 fumble recoveries, scored 4 regular season TD's, played in 26 playoff games.

George Andrie - DE, 6th round draft pick, started 137 regular season games and 13 playoff games, 5 time Pro Bowler

Jay Ratliff - 7th round pick, 4 time Pro Bowler.

Leon Lett - 7th round pick, three Super Bowls, 2 time Pro Bowler

Chad Hennings - 11th round pick, 14 playoff games, three SB rings, had 7 sacks in a season where he didn't start a single game. Two critical sacks in SB 30.

In NFL history there have been D-linemen that were drafted #1 overall and they barely did anything. The best method is get them into camp and then forget how you acquired them or anything they have done in the past. Let them compete in the here and now and keep the best 7-8.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I believe by the end of TC, our new staff may have a good idea what to do with Tristen Hill.

They'll either retain him or let him go! He had better find a way to tend to his improvement!

Last edited:

jday

Reaction score

What I absolutely love about having a new coaching staff is that no ones job is safe and performance on the field is the only thing that will keep them here.

dallasdave

Reaction score

Nice breakdown of the D-line