Opinion: Cowboys won’t be drafting a WR

btcutter

Reaction score
Don’t expect a WR to be drafted in the first 4 rounds or at all this year.

With Cook playing WR 2 and Gallup manning WR 3 and Tobert in the wings I don’t see Cowboys picking up another WR who’s not going to contribute next year.

I suspect they want to see if Gallup recover completely and hope Tobert to step up and develop.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Who really knows. It seemed obvious that a pass rusher was the priority in 2020 and no way they go WR with Cooper and Gallup on the roster. The guy they wanted was ever sitting there at #17, but CeeDee fell into their laps and they went with him.

One thing to keep in mind is that it is possible that both Cooks and Gallup could be gone next year. If a WR is the best player on the board when they pick I wouldnt rule it out.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

With Cook playing WR 2 and Gallup manning WR 3 and Tobert in the wings I don’t see Cowboys picking up another WR who’s not going to contribute next year.

I suspect they want to see if Gallup recover completely and hope Tobert to step up and develop.
Cook has bounced around and may not be here very long. No assurance Gallup returns to form and the jury is still out on Jalen Tolbert. If there’s a good WR prospect in the draft we’ll take them. The more weapons we can add the better. This is a passing league and you don’t pass on a good WR prospect, especially with the kind of money it’s costing to extend WR’s these days. We’ve seen three excellent veteran WR’s the past year move on because their teams couldn’t afford to pay them.

Loso86

Reaction score

If the right guy is there like Mims who thery like then they will grab one.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Fehoko hasn't contributed hardly at all over the years and tolbert didn't his1st year either. So why wouldn't they pick a WR if he was the best prospect available in any round? Woods isn't long term and if Gallup doesn't bounce back he might need to go. No reason to eliminate the best player on the board just because of his wr position. They don't have to get one which is great but if the right one is there and he's the best guy available you absolutely must consider him.

RS12

Reaction score
I wouldnt rule it out. If they dont it is because it isnt a great WR draft. Other than Cee Dee there is a whole lotta meh in the WR meetings.

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score
If someone like the osu dude fall to us I could see them taking him like we did with Lamb

starfan1

Reaction score
I honestly hope that guard is addressed first but Im also ok with DT being first.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
How many receivers do you folks see Dallas carrying this year, it's either 5 or 6 and I don't see them carrying 6 as it stands right now,
As it stands right now for the season
Ceedee
Gallop
Cooks
Tolbert
Fehoko

K/p returner - Turpin

Also in the running to compete for a roster spot - Drummond, Calloway, Houston,Smith

Now I don't have a problem drafting a receiver if that guy is leaps and bounds higher on your board than anyone else ala what happened a couple of years ago when Lamb fell down the board and into their lap but receiver isn't a pressing need on this team after the trade for Cooks when you have Tolbert entering his second year and Fehoko entering his third...

KDM256

Reaction score
Glad you understand because RB is going to be drafted first round anyways with either Robinson or Gibbs.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In other words, draft for need. Board be damned.
Obviously the team shouldn't stretch for players, but need always has to be a factor for teams in the draft. Sure a player that is too good to pass up might sometimes be on the board (that was the story the team gave with Cee Dee Lamb), but if the talent level isn't dramatically different a slightly lesser player that will provide an immediate upgrade at a position is going to be more important than a slightly better player that will be #3 on the depth chart.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
How many receivers do you folks see Dallas carrying this year, it's either 5 or 6 and I don't see them carrying 6 as it stands right now,
As it stands right now for the season
Ceedee
Gallop
Cooks
Tolbert
Fehoko

K/p returner - Turpin

Also in the running to compete for a roster spot - Drummond, Calloway, Houston,Smith

Now I don't have a problem drafting a receiver if that guy is leaps and bounds higher on your board than anyone else ala what happened a couple of years ago when Lamb fell down the board and into their lap but receiver isn't a pressing need on this team after the trade for Cooks when you have Tolbert entering his second year and Fehoko entering his third...
All true, but I wouldn't be sure that Tolbert and especially Fehoko are locks for the roster at all. If a 1st round receiver that you like falls in your lap it shouldn't be an issue at all to get them on the roster.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Who really knows. It seemed obvious that a pass rusher was the priority in 2020 and no way they go WR with Cooper and Gallup on the roster. The guy they wanted was ever sitting there at #17, but CeeDee fell into their laps and they went with him.

One thing to keep in mind is that it is possible that both Cooks and Gallup could be gone next year. If a WR is the best player on the board when they pick I wouldnt rule it out.
Gallup will not be cut they just restructured, and he is owed 19mil maybe for 24..hes ours for 2 seasons..but i agree i think the OP is wrong and if top wr is BPA they will snag him up..they made these moves so BPA at al positions is an easy selection. but why all the wr posts getting old

we are already better off going into game 1 for this season then we were last year BY far..CD learned to be #1, gallup full camp healed more, and cooks ..last year cd first time #1, no Gallup, Brown as the #2.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Gallup will not be cut they just restructured, and he is owed 19mil maybe for 24..hes ours for 2 seasons..but i agree i think the OP is wrong and if top wr is BPA they will snag him up..they made these moves so BPA at al positions is an easy selection. but why all the wr posts getting old

we are already better off going into game 1 for this season then we were last year BY far..CD learned to be #1, gallup full camp healed more, and cooks ..last year cd first time #1, no Gallup, Brown as the #2.
Agreed on Gallup, I doubt he goes anywhere but he could still save $10m as a June 1st cut next year if needed. I'm skeptical that happens but you never know for sure if he gets back to pre injury form.

DFWJC

Reaction score

dude
:facepalm: