Opinion: Dak ad libed that last play and could have run out of bounds

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Also if you watch it in real time. The receivers, Noah Brown especially, had no sense of urgency to get back to the line for the next play. I watched this play over and over again and comparing it to the Rams play the Rams hustled down the field and got the play off. After the Dak run our guys just kind of lazily looked around and then got in formation. It was like our receivers thought the game was over IMO. So I feel this adds to your idea that the play was ad libbed. No ok ne seemed to be on the same page. Sad thing is you can say that about the whole game. No one was on the same page and not much intensity. Such a frustrating loss.

All day I saw our guys just strolling around the field. They deserved to lose.

RomoIsGod

Reaction score
+1
You're thinking much harder than the Cowboys did.
Yes, I've seen nothing in the rulebook that says he couldn't. It's not intentional grounding because he's out of the pocket and over the line of scrimmage. I don't think it would have been a penalty. Just a smart play.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The chances of a 25 yard TD pass with SF knowing we have one play to do it is also minimal.

Given they know it's coming, I don't see much difference between 25 and 40. It will be a jump ball either way. I'd rather have 2 jump balls than 1.

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So first and 10 at the 46 with all 3 timeouts and 2:29 on the clock wasn't a, "real chance"?
Man so many fans on this forum don’t really watch the game or listen to press conferences. Used to be all serious fans in this forum

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It was not a terrible call it was just executed improperly.

If you want to talk about dumb plays then by far the dumbest play of the game was the Randy Gregory two-arm takedown holding penalty the previous drive on 2 and 9 with 1:38 left on the clock. If he doesn't take down the O-lineman the Cowboys get the ball back with about 1:30 left on the clock. Instead, that gave the 49ers a first down and we get the ball back with :32.

Gregory wasn't even trying to make a play. I can't figure out why in the world he just tackled the guy away from the ball especially in that situation.

That's the definition of football dumb!
/Rg tackled the fullback, not a OL guy. So it is possible he thought he had the ball, which is still dumb, but not as dumb/.
he is a dummy, and a 1 trick pony, all he knows is rush the qb. I would not sign him to a big contract, but knowing jerry he will.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Dak didn’t call the play
Do people watch the press conferences
Dak has options , he can change the play or ad lib. use your common sense if you have any lol.
None of the cowboy players blocked, and thought it was going to be a pass, does that seem like a called play to you?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Has Gregory addressed any of his dumb plays from this game? Looked like to me he was high based on the way he was smiling & laughing.

Old weed head Gregory was smiling and laughing after getting called for a hold penalty that extended the 49ers drive and for the most part ended the game.
Dont get why you would be smiling and laughing after you basically costing your team a playoff game.:huh:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Old weed head Gregory was smiling and laughing after getting called for a hold penalty that extended the 49ers drive and for the most part ended the game.
Dont get why you would be smiling and laughing after you basically costing your team a playoff game.:huh:
he is a idiot , and may have been high on some good weed.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
it was a called QB sneak MM said sao.maybe it was a 2 call audible but was a MOORE and MM approved play.not sure the title saying he adlibbed is even remotely correct.

so the other players not making much effort to get into route etc. might be because it was qb run all the way
well blue, shouldnt they be blocking someone then>???????? pollard moved 2 yds and went to sideling, when he could have blocked one of the 2
on sideline. noah did nothing he could have blocked the other guy.
you cant just say oh dak is running , so I will just coast on this play lol
That makes no sense.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Can't believe we are still making threads on this.
believe it rowdy ! I cant believe you would come in the thread just to say it is not a good topic.
Other people are interested in it. so go find a thread you actually like.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
here is actual play after TO
last-play-wc-1.jpg

now to me it looks like everyone thinks this is a pass play, and that dak just decided to run
it wasnt a called play, it may have been an option, but no one knew he was going to run it.
last-play-wc-2.jpg

same thing here they are all turned around expecting a pass and it is only explanation for what pollard does.
But him and noah should have ad libbed and blocked those 2 on outside and maybe dak takes it to sideline, otherwise run down field and block someone !
heck who knows, with some blocking by the cowboys who just did nothing, maybe dak goes to endzone.
last-play-wc-3.jpg

ok here what is pollard doing?? what is noah doing?? LOL block those 2 guys !!!!!!!!! what is shulzt doing down lower, his day off? lol this is
pitiful. also note that martin is holding on the guy in middle where 3 guys are blocking 1, and he almost gets dak, should have been a holding call there.
last-play-wc-4.jpg

here below is where dak had the guy turned, now cut back outside to sideline!
you can see martin holding 91 arm. pollard still in a daze doing nothing, and noah is I dont know wanting to block the guys coming up from
way down field?? how dumb are these guys, and does it look like they practiced this play?

last-play-wc-5.jpg

here pollard and noah still doing nothing lol and dak commits to going inside.shultz just watching
last-play-wc-6.jpg

All I see here is a lackadaisical effort,by the receivers and pollard, and poor planning and execution of this play. he could have got out of bounds easily, or possibly go all the way.
this umbrella isnt geared to stop a run play with good blocking.
For everybody saying the refs hate us and conspire against us to lose games, I will just say the refs missed a blatant hold on Zach Martin here. He is literally grabbing the arm of # 91.

As far as the rest of the play, we have been over it a thousand times already. Dak ran too far before sliding and the slow arse ref couldnt get down the field that fast to spot the ball. It was a poorly executed play, but the game was lost long before then.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
What is this, it's been talked about and explained at nauseum, the play was call by Moore, it had run/pass option based on the look of the defense. It's a play they had practiced.
so why are you here?? go away
find a thread you like and stay out of this one.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can he throw the ball 50 yards downfield? I can’t remember deep balls this year. Deep for us has been 20-30 yards downfield. We had an opportunity to throw Hail Mary in week 2 and didn’t even take it before the half. He tried to hit Gallop deep a few games later and came up woefully short.

I still believe his arm/shoulder has limited him to a certain extent and they felt they needed to get the ball closer to take a shot at the end zone.
It would surprise me if he could not heave a football 50 yards, hurt shoulder or not. It is one thing for a pass to fall short or beyond a receiver going deep. That takes timing between quarterback and receiver. It is another thing for most hail marys involving the quarterback to throw at an area of the endzone and hope a receiver outjumps and outmuscles everyone around him. Of course, it could also be 100% true that was the coach's motivation behind that <expletive> play.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
here is actual play after TO

Good breakdown and may I add the lackadaisical effort wasn’t just during the play it was after. The center for the Rams sprinted 40 yards downfield and got set faster than Cee Dee did five yards off the line of scrimmage.

Situational awareness is awful from both players and coaches.
last-play-wc-1.jpg

now to me it looks like everyone thinks this is a pass play, and that dak just decided to run
it wasnt a called play, it may have been an option, but no one knew he was going to run it.
last-play-wc-2.jpg

same thing here they are all turned around expecting a pass and it is only explanation for what pollard does.
But him and noah should have ad libbed and blocked those 2 on outside and maybe dak takes it to sideline, otherwise run down field and block someone !
heck who knows, with some blocking by the cowboys who just did nothing, maybe dak goes to endzone.
last-play-wc-3.jpg

ok here what is pollard doing?? what is noah doing?? LOL block those 2 guys !!!!!!!!! what is shulzt doing down lower, his day off? lol this is
pitiful. also note that martin is holding on the guy in middle where 3 guys are blocking 1, and he almost gets dak, should have been a holding call there.
last-play-wc-4.jpg

here below is where dak had the guy turned, now cut back outside to sideline!
you can see martin holding 91 arm. pollard still in a daze doing nothing, and noah is I dont know wanting to block the guys coming up from
way down field?? how dumb are these guys, and does it look like they practiced this play?

last-play-wc-5.jpg

here pollard and noah still doing nothing lol and dak commits to going inside.shultz just watching
last-play-wc-6.jpg

All I see here is a lackadaisical effort,by the receivers and pollard, and poor planning and execution of this play. he could have got out of bounds easily, or possibly go all the way.
this umbrella isnt geared to stop a run play with good blocking.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
the mediots are saying Dak should have slid earlier but who was to know the ref would be daydreaming about the off-season. I will point out fault with Dak when it’s warranted but the lack of intellectual curiosity by the sports media on this play is sad. Chances are that the next play would have been the way the game was going but the way the end of the game was just cut off without review or discussion was not normal

this league reviews the most trivial plays and wastes an enormous amount of time on other plates yet this play was put away as tidy and neat and as quick as possible

don’t mean to sound like sour grapes but my gripes with the refs is longstanding and I hope this serves as proof that critics of Dak can stick up for him when the situation calls for it.
that is a good point, should have been a better review of it.
add to that the ref staying so far downfield seems like they maybe wanted SF to win the game. not refs but someone much higher on the nfl totem pole/