Opinion: Dak will Make Over 25M

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
There are a number of teams looking to upgrade in QB, Jags and Niners are probably tops on that list. And beyond that having solid backups are also in need in case your main guy goes down. This entire situation is made worse by all the hypothetical numbers that are being thrown out on how much he would get and how much it would cripple the teams capability to win. If we are trying to win now as Jerry indicates, give the guy the extension he earned and keep it moving.

First if you noticed I've not been one of those that has been saying Prescott would get a mega buck deal and you're right everyone here, you, me, everyone are just guessing. As far as other teams looking like the 49ers, they have Garoppolo and I don't think they're looking, the jags maybe. As far as for backup, teams don't give backups mega buck deals and if Prescott is not going to get a mega buck deal I'm pretty sure he'll take the same to stay here as a starter. I'm sure the Cowboys will extend Prescott and based on everything including Prescott's public statement that whatever deal is reach it will be fair for everyone. My guess Prescott will end up with somewhere between 18 mil and 21 mil a season based a lot on the fact that he's not yet evolved into that mega bucks QB yet and that very very few QB's get that really mega bucks contract coming off their rookie deal. That usually comes a couple few years later, often redoing or extending that second contract down the line.

basel90

Reaction score
That number is very small and no teams give backup QBs 20+ Mil a year contracts.

Ok here goes. Bengals, Jaguars, Dolphins, and Giants. With an outside but doubtful chance of Denver. These are the teams in the market for a starting QB.

Knock off the Jaguars as they are signing Nick Foles.
The Broncos will probably roll with Flacco.

That leaves the Giants, Bengals and Dolphins who will probably get their QB in the draft. Who is left to pay Dak Prescott 28 Million a year if Dallas doesn't? I understand market value for a QB at this moment, but right now the market isn't there. The Cowboys organization can't possibly be that stupid to not see this situation. Transition tag him and match any offer. It's that simple.

Exactly , anything above 20 million is a big waste . Let him play out his contract and see . Any mediocre football analyst can see he is not a top 10 QB . Plus , if jason garret fails to deliver a conference championship game , as expected , why straddle a new coach with Dak as a QB for the next 5 years ?.
I fear the front office of the cowboys feel this is an integral piece to a super bowl under jason Garrett .

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Prescott has led the Cowboys to 32 regular-season victories in his first three seasons. Only four quarterbacks in league history have done better.

The 14 game-winning drives engineered by Prescott in his first three seasons is a number that's not been topped. His 24 games with a quarterback rating of at least 100 ties the NFL record. He's the only quarterback to throw for at least 20 touchdowns and run for five other scores in each of his first three seasons.

This is why Jerry is going to pay him closer to $30 million a year average than $25 million a year average, like it or not.

.....:laugh:

Mobinvans

Reaction score
Prescott has led the Cowboys to 32 regular-season victories in his first three seasons. Only four quarterbacks in league history have done better.

The 14 game-winning drives engineered by Prescott in his first three seasons is a number that's not been topped. His 24 games with a quarterback rating of at least 100 ties the NFL record. He's the only quarterback to throw for at least 20 touchdowns and run for five other scores in each of his first three seasons.

This is why Jerry is going to pay him closer to $30 million a year average than $25 million a year average, like it or not.
You mean Zeke has...

Mobinvans

Reaction score
There are two prices:
- The amount of money that you could give to Dak and still be able to build a title contender
- The amount of money Dak will actually get based on the market

With truly elite quarterbacks, those prices are pretty close. With Dak, there is a massive disparity between those two numbers. Depending on how its structured, Dak's contract could be franchise crippling.

Quite frankly, I would rather see Dallas just give up, tank and try to draft a franchise quarterback rather than waste 4 years trying to shoehorn in a contending team around a $30m per year Dak Prescott.
I agree 1000%

Philmonroe

Reaction score
What you said about the CBA ending after the 2020 season is true that it probably will affect contracts, but what you've missed in your reasoning that Rodgers, Ryan, Ben, Wilson, none of them got their big contracts coming off their rookie deals. The only one that got big was Cousins and that was ONLY because the skins were so dumb to tag him 2 years in a row which was the primary single biggest reason he got the contract he did from the vikings. Very very very few QB's get monster contracts coming off their rookie contracts and Prescott at this time is not one that will get a monster contract extension. As Prescott has already publicly said, whatever deal we make will be fair for all.

Lastly there has already been one owner who has raised the question on how long can the league continue to flourish if they continue to allocate so much money to just one position. They started a "rookie cap" a few years ago as a means to make sure that more of the vet players with 4 and 5 years get more money. Well now with the QB position taking up so much money like the rookies did before their cap, those same players the rookie cap was supposed to help are again getting strangled out. So one owner has publicly said this and how many do you think have said this privately? They are seeing that these monster contracts for QB's is hurting the league. Now they can't just all agree to stop it because then they could be hit with another collusion law suite but they can decide individually to stop the trend. My guess and again it's only a guess it will happen when this CBA expires so they can use that as justification.
Regarding qbs don’t get monster contracts after their rookie deals you don’t know what you’re talking about. Google is your friend my fellow poster.

Flamma

Reaction score

None of this is the reason Jerry will pay Dak. In Jerry's case the reason would be alcohol. But in most cases teams pay players based on what they think other teams will pay if they don't. In other words, Player A needs to be paid X amount, and if we don't pay him someone else will. Now is when the team decides if they want to pay Player A based on what he has done, but not before hand. Now go find teams looking for a starting QB. There are a scant few. Jerry has leverage here if he wants to use it.

OldJarhead

Reaction score
This guy probably wants to let Dak walk and for a 1 in 32 chance at a guy in the draft. You show me a better qb you can guarantee we get in the next 2 years and I’ll take him. Until then you’re gonna have to “settle” for a guy who will probably hover around 9-12 best in the league for his career. Not every player the team has can be HOFer from the 90’s dream team lol. Jerry can’t just buy a championship team anymore man.

Younger fans just understand today’s NFL. There’s a cap, there’s a huge emphasis on parity, no team in the NFC has gone to back to back Super Bowls since the Rams in the early 2000’s. It’s not the same league. You can’t expect to be dominant year in and year out especially in the NFC. Look around the league, our past 3 years make us one of the top 8 teams in the league. Dak has the 2nd most wins since he’s not gotten here. Obviously we are looking for post season success but this team is a lot closer to SB than dumpster fire.

My advice to you is not to factor the last 20 years into everything Cowboys related. Look at every decision with the context of today not the 90’s or early 2000’s.

I'm way past the 90's there young fella. Yeah, I would send Dak packing and find a guy who can actually read a defense and throw an ACCURATE pass more than 8 yards downfield. This team has all the pieces to win a championship, all the pieces except the most important one........a QB.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm way past the 90's there young fella. Yeah, I would send Dak packing and find a guy who can actually read a defense and throw an ACCURATE pass more than 8 yards downfield. This team has all the pieces to win a championship, all the pieces except the most important one........a QB.
:hammer:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Regarding qbs don’t get monster contracts after their rookie deals you don’t know what you’re talking about. Google is your friend my fellow poster.

Maybe you should take your own advice. Since some here have been throwing the 30 mil a year number around for Prescott lets just look at the 2 players in that neighborhood. Aaron Rodgers 33 mil a year signed his monster contract THIRTEEN years into the league. The there's Matt Ryan at 30 mil who signed his monster extension NINE years in the league. Now you tell me all of the QB's that have gotten monster contracts immediately after their rookie contracts which would be after 4 years. Like I said it does happen but very very seldom.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Maybe you should take your own advice. Since some here have been throwing the 30 mil a year number around for Prescott lets just look at the 2 players in that neighborhood. Aaron Rodgers 33 mil a year signed his monster contract THIRTEEN years into the league. The there's Matt Ryan at 30 mil who signed his monster extension NINE years in the league. Now you tell me all of the QB's that have gotten monster contracts immediately after their rookie contracts which would be after 4 years. Like I said it does happen but very very seldom.
I would take my own advice df it it applied but it doesn't. It applies to you and your lack of knowledge on this so try again when it applies to me.

Silly

Reaction score
Well let’s see.
21 QBs make over 15 mil this coming season before any new deals/extensions.
16 of those are 20+.

Flacco 22.
Smith 23.5
Carr 25
Stafford 27
Garroppolo 27.5
Cousins 28

I’d take dak over any of those guys.

I don't think any of those QBs were playing in the Super Bowl. The exception is With Flacco

as Baltimore's starting quarterback since his rookie season, the Ravens have won the AFC North twice, appeared in three AFC Championship Games, and defeated the San Francisco 49ers to win Super Bowl XLVII following the 2012 season.
Paying Dak a bunch of money is not going to make him a winner. Take a way Zeke and how many games do you think he can win?​

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I don't think any of those QBs were playing in the Super Bowl. The exception is With Flacco

as Baltimore's starting quarterback since his rookie season, the Ravens have won the AFC North twice, appeared in three AFC Championship Games, and defeated the San Francisco 49ers to win Super Bowl XLVII following the 2012 season.
Paying Dak a bunch of money is not going to make him a winner. Take a way Zeke and how many games do you think he can win?​

Take away Dak Prescott and how many games would the Cowboys win?

All the teams looking for a QB are doing so for a reason- they are losing a lot of games and thus have top ten draft choices to get one. The Cowboys are 32-16 since Prescott took over.

And I don't think this Cowboys roster is so littered with future Hall of Fame talent to think Dak is "holding them back".

Silly

Reaction score
Take away Dak Prescott and how many games would the Cowboys win?

All the teams looking for a QB are doing so for a reason- they are losing a lot of games and thus have top ten draft choices to get one. The Cowboys are 32-16 since Prescott took over.

And I don't think this Cowboys roster is so littered with future Hall of Fame talent to think Dak is "holding them back".

You could argue that Dak is Holding the Team Back. By only scoring 22 TDS in 2018. If you are going to pay him as a top 5 QB then he should be playing like a Top 5 QB. Dak is 26th in Yards per catch. 22nd in Yards per game. 15th in passing yards in 2018 season. 21 in passes over 20 yards.

And you could say the team is 32-16 since Zeke Started.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
You could argue that Dak is Holding the Team Back. By only scoring 22 TDS in 2018. If you are going to pay him as a top 5 QB then he should be playing like a Top 5 QB. Dak is 26th in Yards per catch. 22nd in Yards per game. 15th in passing yards in 2018 season. 21 in passes over 20 yards.

If you account for rushing scores Dak accounted for 28 TD's last year. As for the stats, they are valid, but remember this is a run-first offense that suffered a lot from Scott Linehan's dated and predictable playcalling. Prescott's numbers went way up once Cooper arrived and the Cowboys finally opened things up a bit.

Those first seven games when Dak's outside receivers were any mix of Deonte Thompson, Terrance Williams, Allen Hurns, and Tavon Austin hurt his final season tally quite a bit.

Silly

Reaction score
If you account for rushing scores Dak accounted for 28 TD's last year. As for the stats, they are valid, but remember this is a run-first offense that suffered a lot from Scott Linehan's dated and predictable playcalling. Prescott's numbers went way up once Cooper arrived and the Cowboys finally opened things up a bit.

Those first seven games when Dak's outside receivers were any mix of Deonte Thompson, Terrance Williams, Allen Hurns, and Tavon Austin hurt his final season tally quite a bit.

Do you really want to extend Dak @ 25 million? I think make him play another year first and see if the offense stays opened up.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I would take my own advice df it it applied but it doesn't. It applies to you and your lack of knowledge on this so try again when it applies to me.

You still failed to list all of those QB's that got monster contracts immediately after their rookie contract were up. As I said it has happened but very very seldom, certainly not often enough to lump Prescott in as one that will get it.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Jerry’s TOTALLY all-in on Dak...so lemme see here...

6yrs / $180mil (4yrs / $120mil guaranteed)...book it!

“How ya like us now, Kirk Cousins?”
if he is our $25/yr QB, we probably won't see any superbowls anytime soon. we won't have enough money to sign 2 #1 WRs, a great TE, a great OL and a great RB he needs to succeed.