Opinion: Dalton chose Dallas because he was told he had a shot to win the job

John813

Reaction score
Pretty sure he chose the Cowboys due to location.

He's a local guy who had a home down here.

I don't think for a second Dak will turn away 31mil dollars in the tag if they can't come to an agreement by July 15th.
So, IMO, Dak will show up on the first day of TC.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Prescott is better than Dalton and I'm not sure its close.

However how is that measured? Stats? Not always.

It's about winning games, taking the team on your back and pulling out a win.

Prescott certain let us down quite a bit last year in that regard.

Well if your theory is that its the QB's job to win all the games and put the team on his back regardless of what the other players or coaches do then I could see how you would think that.

The problem with your angle is that I didn't hear you applauding Dak for doing just that many times the first 3 years. Dak leading his team to last drive comeback wins his first 3 years and I didn't hear you talking about that.

Now if we are just critiquing Dak by himself then I can certainly agree he wasn't as good at willing the team as he was the previous 3 years. However, he clearly had the best season individually and showed he could do much more than just drive the bus.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
My point is if you are going to place blame on everyone else Dak deserves blame too.

Just because someone looks at Dak's stats as a means to determine if they think he deserves a big new contract doesn't make them a hater.
I never said you're a hater. Just messing with you. I agree. Dak needs to improve on certain throws. It's good to hear he's actually working out some more this offseason with Jon Kitna.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Pretty sure he chose the Cowboys due to location.

He's a local guy who had a home down here.

I don't think for a second Dak will turn away 31mil dollars in the tag if they can't come to an agreement by July 15th.
So, IMO, Dak will show up on the first day of TC.

I think Dak will show up too. I also think that location was probably also a big reason.

ESisback

Reaction score
Good post I think Dak is 1 to 2 wins better than Dalton. Dalton could be 9 to 10 wins. Dak gets you 10 to 12 wins. I could probably show this empirically but am too lazy to do so. Hence, this is my gut feeling.

Agreed. I’m too lazy also! The DL likes to use “Hotboyz”? We could be “Lazyboyz”.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
OMG, not another bash Dak thread disguised..

Dalton didn't have many choices. he got released late after the draft. most teams were set at QB, he lived in texas. yes, contract situation with Dak helped him choose dallas. take a step back and see where things go. Dak is at least 2-3 games better than Dalton. and its not about regular season, its about post season. Dalton, under pressure, when it counts is something like 0-10, too lazy to pull out the games and do the research, except its obvious in the playoffs he choked and choked really bad. he is not very good at come back wins. he needs to be tethered and managed so he doesn't lose you games, as he can't win you games.
:hammer::clap::clap::clap:

fivetwos

Reaction score
Hard to win games when your receivers led the league in drops (51). Your kicker missed the most FGs (10) (most were between the 30s - 40s range). Your special teams was absolutely the worst. Plus, your Defense was 3rd worst in missed tackles. Then add in Garrett and his bunch of misfits.

Well, I guess it's easier just to blame Dak.
Nah I'm not on that train. I dont bash the guy at every chance I get.

Maher was a massive problem last year, great point and you're right.

My point was he came up short vs Minnesota and Philly when he had shots to win it and didnt.

Of course his coach didnt help him either time but I wont get into specifics.

My comment was also a bit directed at Dalton being worth a certain number of wins and Prescott being worth another number and how and why that's measured.

For the record, my thoughts on Prescott are he is as good as we are going to do for now, and he is certainly capable of winning. I'm not looking to run him out of town.

cowboygo

Reaction score
Heres my question can you make the team better with Dalton at 3 mil or Dak at 36 mil .

Dak is better and wins more games at 650 k but at 36 mil the amount of talent the team has is compromised .

Dalton at 3mil allows you to stack the defense with more talent and could ultimately win more games . Dalton and 3 more impact players on defense could win more games than Dak and our current roster

The addition of Dalton was a great move insuring we will be competitive this year no matter what happens
Agree with everything you said but if Dalton starts games this year his cap gets bumped up to 7M, still cheap. Thing is, this plan only works for 1 year. You have to regroup again next year, and if Dalton wins you games and performs well, his price tag just went up, sort of like Tannehill's did as well.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Hang on....if Dalton is the #2 QB, why is it NEWS that he starts if Prescott isnt there for whatever reason??

That's fairly understood, no?

Yep...…..and that's probably why he signed. Because there is at least a chance that Dak doesn't show up and Dallas has a great team. You don't suppose that it would be smart to act like he wouldn't have to win the job correct? At the time they were wooing him Rush was still here and they had resigned him for 2 million.

JBS

Reaction score
"Hey, Dalton. You do know that if Dak doesn't show up, you could win the starting qb job right?

I mean, there literally is nobody else on the roster

Sure, seems like a real conversation

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
I see them as being fairly close to even given the same surrounding talent. I'd give the edge to Dak if he uses his legs more.

You can't just look at their numbers the last few years as they were on much different teams. To ignore that would be intellectually dishonest at best, or just plain 'football dumb' at worst.

Andy Dalton 40 time 4.82
Dak 40 time 4.79

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Heres my question can you make the team better with Dalton at 3 mil or Dak at 36 mil .

Dak is better and wins more games at 650 k but at 36 mil the amount of talent the team has is compromised .

Dalton at 3mil allows you to stack the defense with more talent and could ultimately win more games . Dalton and 3 more impact players on defense could win more games than Dak and our current roster

The addition of Dalton was a great move insuring we will be competitive this year no matter what happens
They won’t, but if Dallas went Dalton and never paid Dak, it would have no positive effect on the team in 2020. Having all that cap space would mean nothing...who are you going to pay that money to? Game changers are not going to be available in August.

And if Dalton has a good year, you will be paying him 25 million and up as a free agent next summer when he would be coming off a career year as an unrestricted free agent.