Opinion: Dalton chose Dallas because he was told he had a shot to win the job

cowboygo

Reaction score
Dak has one of the worst field vision I ever seen in a QB. Hence why he needs "Dak friendly" receivers. He needs to see separation. Or how about all the times the announcers show Dak running for a first down and them saying - yeah the run was nice but this guy was wide open. Dak also holds onto the ball too long because he cant process the field quick enough. Takes unnecessary sacks. I do think he improved on that last year but its still an issue.
If Dalton were this guy who you think has better field vision than Dak.. he'd be starting on an NFL team, or at least competing for a starting job.

cowboygo

Reaction score
The last 4 years Dak is better than the lats 4 years Dalton, that's for sure.

I don't think year 1-4 Dak is better than year 1-4 Dalton however.

That said, can the loser mentality and bad habits he has developed be changed back to the QB he was - who knows! With the team we have put together on the offensive side of the ball, it is a QB dream come true. I would think that would rejuvenate anybody!
Dalton's best year is only better than Dak's worst year.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I guess you didn't read my post. I said draft a QB all you want, even take on in the first round. Just don't start him until he is better than the incumbent. Which is EXACTLY what the Chiefs did. LOL

What your plan suggested was that they should have cut Alex Smith all together and just been in last place until they found Mahomes.

Dak has already been replaced by a similar QB if the Cowboys choose to do so.

Dak's ability is slightly better than Dalton's.

visionary

Reaction score
Here is my take

Dak and Dalton are very good regular season QBs

Dak is a better post season QB, how much better is unclear

With Dalton we can make the playoffs but really no chance at a SB

With Dak we can make the playoffs but SB chances are unclear though possible

You decide if that is worth 35+ mill/year

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Exactly, we aren't the Cardinals where we suck and have the luxury of drafting 1st round QBs two years in a row to try to find the one. We also aren't the Dolphins that seemingly tanked last year and are rolling with Fitzpatrick and a rookie. Right now, its not time to rebuild. Not with a rookie. After the next 4 years, I'm down to make changes if we don't have playoff success.

Agreed with everything but like everything you have to analyze why you didn't have playoff success. Not just assume its because of the QB.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
please look into your crystal ball and tell us the facts that we will see 4 years from now....

Ok here I go...

If we sign Dak to a contract that keeps his cap % above 13% we will not win a Superbowl.

Zoners will also complain that the team around him wasn't good enough.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dak has already been replaced by a similar QB if the Cowboys choose to do so.

Dak's ability is slightly better than Dalton's.

And you know that because you are the QB guru? :muttley:

Honestly...…..if anyone took you seriously, I would lay into you more. But its actually quite comical so.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Dalton's best year is only better than Dak's worst year.
They were 50-26 his first 5 years - he must of been doing a lot right even though he was not a stat junkie. Maybe performing at the right time!

Kinda like Dak in 2016 - not a big stat year but performed at the right time and had a lot of comeback wins - unlike last year!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ok here I go...

If we sign Dak to a contract that keeps his cap % above 13% we will not win a Superbowl.

Zoners will also complain that the team around him wasn't good enough.

QB guru, future teller, and QB percentage cap analyzer expert!!!!

More teams could really use your help.

So basically your plan is to draft a QB in the first round every year, be in last place for 20 years until that once in a generation talent comes along, if your lucky, play him for 5 years under his rookie contract, then let him walk when he demands more than 13% of the cap and start over? :muttley:

So the Chiefs should let Mahomes walk when he wants over 13% of the cap? :lmao2:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They were 50-26 his first 5 years - he must of been doing a lot right even though he was not a stat junkie. Maybe performing at the right time!

Kinda like Dak in 2016 - not a big stat year but performed at the right time and had a lot of comeback wins - unlike last year!

DALTON BABY!!!!!

cowboygo

Reaction score

but you already know what Dalton accomplish with great, good and bad defenses. Couldn't get them a playoff win with top5-10 defenses. Couldn't elevate a team with a bad defense. Dak hasn't had a losing season, and there is still hope that he can improve, if thats something you can even choose to consider.

BigD_95

Reaction score
If Dalton were this guy who you think has better field vision than Dak.. he'd be starting on an NFL team, or at least competing for a starting job.

maybe he is competing for a job now.

And he was a starter for how many years? Also he was left go so late it is hard to just get on a team. My guess next year he will be a starter somewhere

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
there in lies the difference..... ALex smith is not Dak, never was Dak, Alex Smith was more Dalton than anything else. nothing Alex Smith did ever came close to Dak...and Alex was #1 over all pick.

so who is the next Patrick Mahomes that's going to fall into the 10-20 range we should be focused on getting....

please look into your crystal ball and tell us the facts that we will see 4 years from now....

Alex Smith went an entire year without throwing a TD to a WR. These clowns wouldn't know a good QB if they saw one.

Hardline

Reaction score
I know..

Imagine if the Chiefs just followed the smart plan by building around their Dak Prescottish QB in Alex smith.

Instead they did the stupid thing and traded away picks for a high upside player in Patrick Mahomes.

Idiots.

Just think of all of that mediocrity they could've enjoyed had they just stuck to the smart plan.
This needs to be repeated in case anyone missed it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
maybe he is competing for a job now.

And he was a starter for how many years? Also he was left go so late it is hard to just get on a team. My guess next year he will be a starter somewhere

Because he is sooo great. :flagwave:

cern

Reaction score
He had a shot to win the job if Dak didn't show up.

This got me thinking about that actual scenario. And you have to applaud the FO for getting Dalton to sign by telling him that. Love the sell job. And great insurance job securing Dalton and leverage in the Dak negotiations.

Couple questions:

1. How many games do you think we could win if Dalton was our QB the entire year?

good questions. but difficult to answer without prescience. both could have the best years of their careers given the offense. great rb's. good o-line. great receivers. te a question mark, and new, far more innovative coaching staff.

Last edited:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
“Dalton chose Dallas because he was told he had a shot to win the job if Dak didn’t show up.”

Do you have a link/source for this?
Exactly! Dalton didn't sign w/Dallas because he was told.

“I wanted to join a high-class organization, a team that’s ready to win. And to be with Mike McCarthy, his history with quarterbacks, I think it gives me a chance to come to a new place, a chance to learn, to help Dak [Prescott] out in any way I can, and then just to be an asset for this team.”
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/why-did-andy-dalton-pick-the-cowboys