Opinion: If Garrett is not extended, Linehan stays

waving monkey

Reaction score
We all know 2019 is the last year of Jason and Linehan deals. Many fans are accepting the fact Jerry will let Jason play out his contract but fire Linehan at end of the season. Not that simple......many questions. The biggest challenge is not only finding his replacement but one willing run a variation of Garrett's offensive scheme.

***Finding his replacement will be harder than many may think. I guessing Jerry would be hard pressed to find an up and coming ( or vet) offensive coor or QB coach willing to sign a one year contract or work for a lame duck head coach w/o a multi-year deal. Any coach will confess coaching is everything to him but in the same breath, he will also tell his security means just as much. Security to a coach is not so as money as is contract duration/years.

***Even if Jerry target two or three assistants as his replacement, it highly unlikely he get a chance to interview any unless the contracts with their current team are expiring. That leaves only option the pool of candidates to target. Ones sitting on the sideline coz they were just fired or recently fired ( within the year ) or ones with expiring contracts. Again even with these coaches, where you think a lame duck head coaching offer sits on their priority list for a job.

*** What about the next OC scheme? Will favor a base 3-wide receiver scheme? Different blocking scheme? Just two or three years ago ( not sure which) other than Seahawks, were the only team that had more run plays than pass. Remember we are built as a run-first team. Any offensive coordinator trying to change that neutralize our strength such as OL and Zeke.

Know many are hoping a new OC can correct a number of Daks' technical issues. I don't have an answer for that but I do think a few these issues Dak can work through himself. Bottom line, don't be surprised if Jerry finds it's much easier to keep Linehan until end of his deal and decide what to do about he and Jason both at the end 2019.
Garrett is extended. It may not jive with many's wishes but the double edge sword has cut. Garrett made the play offs

waving monkey

Reaction score
I disagree. Linehan is only employed because Garrett is here. If Garrett goes then Linehan is released too. Linehan will not outlast Garrett here. And for those that think this run will save his job......go ask Rob Ryan about that. He was released despite his unit overachieving.
of course but Garrett is extended

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I don’t see any way Linehan stays unless they bring in a pass game coordinator and let him call runs or something.

The offense is too talent dependent and the times we actually take a step back after a play and say what a playcall is few and far between.

Aren't you technically firing him? lol

cern

Reaction score
I am no fan of Garrett, but one simply cannot discount the fact the players respect him and play hard for the man. Ergo highly unlikely he's going anywhere. Best solution is to get him a good oc. Linehan is lacking.

conner01

Reaction score
I am no fan of Garrett, but one simply cannot discount the fact the players respect him and play hard for the man. Ergo highly unlikely he's going anywhere. Best solution is to get him a good oc. Linehan is lacking.
Lots of fans don’t like JG but the man who signs the check and those who play for him do
Not sure linehan has that respect from either
Hope not anyway
I can live with JG if we can get a OC with a new scheme for today’s nfl

cern

Reaction score
Lots of fans don’t like JG but the man who signs the check and those who play for him do
Not sure linehan has that respect from either
Hope not anyway
I can live with JG if we can get a OC with a new scheme for today’s nfl
I don't care that Jerry likes him. But I'm impressed by the players dedication to him. Even at the heights of suckage, they've never quit on him.

conner01

Reaction score
I don't care that Jerry likes him. But I'm impressed by the players dedication to him. Even at the heights of suckage, they've never quit on him.
He has the respect of the players
I think kris is taking over the D but I think if rod wants to stay he will get to. The players love him
That’s important

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
We all know 2019 is the last year of Jason and Linehan deals. Many fans are accepting the fact Jerry will let Jason play out his contract but fire Linehan at end of the season. Not that simple......many questions. The biggest challenge is not only finding his replacement but one willing run a variation of Garrett's offensive scheme.

***Finding his replacement will be harder than many may think. I guessing Jerry would be hard pressed to find an up and coming ( or vet) offensive coor or QB coach willing to sign a one year contract or work for a lame duck head coach w/o a multi-year deal. Any coach will confess coaching is everything to him but in the same breath, he will also tell his security means just as much. Security to a coach is not so as money as is contract duration/years.

***Even if Jerry target two or three assistants as his replacement, it highly unlikely he get a chance to interview any unless the contracts with their current team are expiring. That leaves only option the pool of candidates to target. Ones sitting on the sideline coz they were just fired or recently fired ( within the year ) or ones with expiring contracts. Again even with these coaches, where you think a lame duck head coaching offer sits on their priority list for a job.

*** What about the next OC scheme? Will favor a base 3-wide receiver scheme? Different blocking scheme? Just two or three years ago ( not sure which) other than Seahawks, were the only team that had more run plays than pass. Remember we are built as a run-first team. Any offensive coordinator trying to change that neutralize our strength such as OL and Zeke.

Know many are hoping a new OC can correct a number of Daks' technical issues. I don't have an answer for that but I do think a few these issues Dak can work through himself. Bottom line, don't be surprised if Jerry finds it's much easier to keep Linehan until end of his deal and decide what to do about he and Jason both at the end 2019.

Linehan is gone after this season if they don't go far in the playoffs. Amari basically threw him under a bus because he is an incompetent fool. Running the same plays over and over. Time to take a hike.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a variation of Linehans offense. Linehan is gone. Sadly so is Richards.
I'm guessing Zimmer will be DC next year.
There, relax, no more guessing. :clap:

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
in light of recent events in the media / social media, I don't see how Linehan returns in any scenario

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
People seem to forget that Garrett has already been a lame duck before. Jerry said then he had no problem with the concept of it at all, and I’m sure he still feels that way.
Garrett has likely escaped being canned but everything else is still up in the air. A one and done type situation likely equals lame duck. I agree with the premise in the OP that replacing Linehan may not be easy under those circumstances. Though Garrett himself was brought in as an OC under a blanket of weirdness.
If Garrett wins a playoff game, he may be extended but I would think he would clearly be on two year deals until he wins the Super Bowl or flames out.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

Ask yourself who would hire Linehan before you say its hard to replace him. Matt LaFluer, Deflippo, Jim Bob Cooter, Fred Kitchens, Butch Hamdam, Eric Bieinemy, Tee Martin, Tony Elliott, Steve Sarkasian, and we lost out on Mike Locksley.

I really like Eric Bieinemy. He can be the OC and HC in waiting to replace Garrett.

TheHerd

Reaction score
As far as the D, do you think Rod will stay on as DL coach when Richard takes over as DC, which seems inevitable.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Ask yourself who would hire Linehan before you say its hard to replace him. Matt LaFluer, Deflippo, Jim Bob Cooter, Fred Kitchens, Butch Hamdam, Eric Bieinemy, Tee Martin, Tony Elliott, Steve Sarkasian, and we lost out on Mike Locksley.

I really like Eric Bieinemy. He can be the OC and HC in waiting to replace Garrett.

Maybe true but remember any assistant coach under contract for another team isn't likely to get permission to interview for ANOTHER assistant job. Remember when Jerry refused to allow Callahan to interview for OC job. He had to wait until his contract expired. That only leaves a pool of assistant coaches with expiring contracts or ones recently fired.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

No way in hell Reid allows Bieinemy to interview for another OC job unless his contract has expired.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hot take: Jason Garrett might survive this season. Does anybody really think that's an actual question mark at this point?

Linehan, however, might be a different story. If Marinelli retires, we're already swapping out the DC. I expect we'd keep Linehan, but as I've said in other threads, I do think there's something going on there thats rubbing people the wrong way in Dallas. If the players--specifically Cooper--really do have an issue with him, I could see him moving on, too.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
People also remember Jerry just said and I quote "Jason needs to win playoff games".........guess many can read this different ways but I see Jerry saying I'm not extending him until he proves he can win postseason games. Also, remember lukewarm vote of confidence Jerry gave him after the Saint victory. As Jerry said, he won A big game. Let's leave it at that....hell many of us were saying Jason needs to win at least one playoff game to survive after hearing/reading the comment.

Bottom line.......In spite of the recent success, I'm not sure he's reached the bar of an automatic extension in 2019 w/o a playoff win. If anything, I think he's guaranteed himself a chance to play out his contract and avoid getting fired. Other words, if we lose the first round playoff game, I think Jerry lets stay but no extension.

Gaede

Reaction score
Pretty persuasive argument, much as we all don't like it.

My bet though is Garrett gets extended and Linehan is bye bye.