Opinions of New SUVs

Creeper

Reaction score
Okay, I have finally had it with my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I was going to drive this thing into the ground or until I move on to another realm, but it seems like I am spending money constantly to keep this thing on the road. This week, I had to replace both catalytic converters. It seems slowly but surely I am rebuilding the car with replacement parts!

So now I am in the market for a new SUV. I am tired of shelling out so much money on this POS. Since I am retired now I would consider leasing, but leasing prices are silly now. But we'll see when I get to that point.

I was wondering what others may have experienced with a few models.

Ford Bronco
Honda Passport
Toyota 4-Runner

No more Jeeps for me and I won't buy a GM vehicle anymore. Don't ask. I have my reasons.

Personally, I think all cars are overpriced these days and I keep reading people are paying over sticker for some models. I will not pay over sticker unless the deal pay me over book value for a trade in on my Jeep. Most likely though I will sell it privately.

Opinions on new cars anyone?

cowboyec

Reaction score
i love the look of the ford bronco.
gotta love the sasquatch package.
the body style is awesome...if i could afford one...i'd get one in a ♡beat.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i drive an '06 ford escape...love it and will keep it til one of us dies.
but i hate the new escapes.
i can't believe the body style.
stupid.
doesn't even look like an escape.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Okay, I have finally had it with my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I was going to drive this thing into the ground or until I move on to another realm, but it seems like I am spending money constantly to keep this thing on the road. This week, I had to replace both catalytic converters. It seems slowly but surely I am rebuilding the car with replacement parts!

So now I am in the market for a new SUV. I am tired of shelling out so much money on this POS. Since I am retired now I would consider leasing, but leasing prices are silly now. But we'll see when I get to that point.

I was wondering what others may have experienced with a few models.

Ford Bronco
Honda Passport
Toyota 4-Runner

No more Jeeps for me and I won't buy a GM vehicle anymore. Don't ask. I have my reasons.

Personally, I think all cars are overpriced these days and I keep reading people are paying over sticker for some models. I will not pay over sticker unless the deal pay me over book value for a trade in on my Jeep. Most likely though I will sell it privately.

Opinions on new cars anyone?
I have a 2016 Nissan Rogue. It's not bad (actually fit a 10' gutter and downspout inside it, windshield to back door.) and I just co-signed for my niece, who bought a 2019 Rogue, fully loaded. I'll tell ya what, it's like they're not even the same kind of car. She's got a pretty big sunroof, seats that remember where you want them and slide back automatically to make it easier to get in and out, side mirrors that automatically aim downward a bit when you put it in reverse, a backup camera that also has a bird's eye view of your car and obstacles around it (so cool and useful), heated seats and steering wheel, power back door, and a really nice leather interior.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Nissan Rogue. It's not bad (actually fit a 10' gutter and downspout inside it, windshield to back door.) and I just co-signed for my niece, who bought a 2019 Rogue, fully loaded. I'll tell ya what, it's like they're not even the same kind of car. She's got a pretty big sunroof, seats that remember where you want them and slide back automatically to make it easier to get in and out, side mirrors that automatically aim downward a bit when you put it in reverse, a backup camera that also has a bird's eye view of your car and obstacles around it (so cool and useful), heated seats and steering wheel, power back door, and a really nice leather interior.

I actually watched a review of the new Rogue yesterday. Seems like incredible value for the money.

Plankton

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Honda Passport Touring. It has been a good, reliable vehicle. Not too big, not too small. Decent enough gas mileage. I would recommend it.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I have a Ford Explorer. It’s a great vehicle. Runs amazing, smooth, powerful. Not much road noise and handles very well for an SUV its size. Highly recommend.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I actually watched a review of the new Rogue yesterday. Seems like incredible value for the money.

I really like Nissan rogues. My sister has a 2020. Nissans make good vehicles.

The only concern with them is the CVT transmissions have a bit higher failure rate than a normal auto transmission. But they’ve gotten better over the years as they perfect the technology.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I really like Nissan rogues. My sister has a 2020. Nissans make good vehicles.

The only concern with them is the CVT transmissions have a bit higher failure rate than a normal auto transmission. But they’ve gotten better over the years as they perfect the technology.
I just had the tranny in my 2016 rebuilt, but apparently they knew there were issues with them, and they extended the warranty on the transmissions. I had about 1500 miles to spare, and it didn't cost me a cent. What's more, the dealership I brought it to treated me like a new car buyer, not like someone who was getting free work done.

Praxit

Reaction score
..Creeper, ..just my opinion Never buy new vehicle.

Waste of money. I've lived frugal most of my life, invested much.

One main rule was, always buy Used car.

No matter what the salesman tells ya.. ;)...

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I haven’t personally driven the 4Runner, but I have been in a 2016 model plenty with a guy I worked with.

Great, reliable vehicle that felt a bit… old? It’s dated feeling. Like the technology and interior design was just frankly not up to par with other vehicles for the price point.

But if you can get past that, it’s a brilliant SUV with great off road capability, it rides well, and I know the TRD pro at least can tow 5,000 pounds. And being a Toyota, it’s basically guaranteed to be reliable.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score

I’m going to plug this 16 minute review because I haven’t been in the new Bronco, but I trust these guys, and they seem to really like it. Specifically way more than a comparable Wrangler.

I do have a neighbor down the road that has the new Bronco, and he definitely has good things to say about it. He loves it and loves driving it at like 50 mph down our 25 mph street.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I just had the tranny in my 2016 rebuilt, but apparently they knew there were issues with them, and they extended the warranty on the transmissions. I had about 1500 miles to spare, and it didn't cost me a cent. What's more, the dealership I brought it to treated me like a new car buyer, not like someone who was getting free work done.

Yes they did. I used to have a 2016 Altima with the cvt and I remember getting the paperwork on the warranty extension. With that considered. It protects you pretty well.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It depends on the price range really and what options you want. I put my Ram in storage here in SoCal due to being small car friendly. I could barely park anywhere nor fit in those tiny parking garages :angry:

So, we rented a corporate car for a year. There are limited choices but we wanted a smaller SUV. LAX had a Honda HR-V(2021) and we jumped on it. It isn’t fancy or anything but a decent little drive. It has heated seats, lane change assist and that is about it….not even GPS but our phones work just as well plugged in.

I can’t imagine it being over 30K brand new, probably fully loaded too.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
If I bought a car today it would have bought a Bronco Those things are sharp now they look good. Bought a Honda CRV in 2019 great gas mileage If I have to cruse at 60 mph it gets a little over 40 mpg cruising at 75 mph it gets 36.5 to 37 mpg Never had anything go wrong with it And I'm driving it until it dies

Creeper

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I should have added, I live in suburban NJ so I won't do much off-roading. I do prefer a trucky feel to the crossover look and feel. I use my Jeep as a utility vehicle (hauling stuff and pulling the occasional small tree stump) but also as my primary car to drive. I have done some long distance driving so I don't want to go too trucky.

The Bronco seems to fit in more with my driving needs for the most part, at least the models that are not completely off-road ready. But I have read some negative reviews about build quality. I have read reviews about the 4Runner being kind of sparse inside but everyone who owns one loves it for its build quality and durability. I just think they are a bit pricey. I once owned a Ford Explorer, but that is a vehicle that has really moved closer to the cross-over realm. Do they even make one without the 3rd row seating?

As for the used vs new argument, I don't know how it is everywhere else, but around here used cars are extremely pricey right now due to lack of inventory. It is so bad I have dealers texting me asking how much will it take for me to sell them my Jeep! I understand some new models are going for over sticker price as well, but I will avoid that even if it means keeping my Jeep another year or two.