Opinions on Parcells' comments on OLB

Champsheart

Reaction score
I do not know if this has been discussed in other threads, so if this is a repost I apologize.

A couple of times now Parcells has lumped OLB with RT and FS as concerns he has. He did mention his concern was around depth, but I am really curious to see what folks think here.

I would think we keep 4 OLBers.

Ware, Thornton, Singleton, and Burnett.

Where is his concerns?

I will have to admit I thought Al Singleton had no shot of making this team as camp opened, but I am not so sure now. I thought he played pretty well Saturday night, and according to reports from a few he seems to be a lot bigger now. As a matter of fact if I remember correctly Hostile said he looked huge.

Now it really seems as Burnett has been playing pretty well and reports have been coming through pretty positive on him.

Ware, well lets just hope there is no concern here. Besides the regular learning curve, I would not think Ware is what he is talking about.

In then there is Kalen Thornton. Actually I like him, and hope he is not what Parcells is concerned about. He has the size, and seems to have the athletic ability. I also thought he played pretty well Saturday night and had a couple of QB Pressures.

Any thoughts on what Parcells is thinking here?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Als is NOT a 3-4 OLB. He's in uphill battle to make team with $2M CAP HIT AND WRONG SIDE OF 30.....

Me thinks Ware and Burnett are installed as starters as camp ends.

Ken

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure either what he is talking about.

I thought Singleton played well. Maybe he just wants more experience at the position?

I'm not too worried about it, actually, LB in general is not really a concern anymore. I was very impressed with their play on Saturday.

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
Nors said:
Als is NOT a 3-4 OLB. He's in uphill battle to make team with $2M CAP HIT AND WRONG SIDE OF 30.....

Me thinks Ware and Burnett are installed as starters as camp ends.

I love how you've now borrowed the "wrong side of 30" tag that many of us used against you to describe Ty Law. :D

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I think he's mainly worried about the youth of the two guys he's obviously counting on (Ware, Burnett) and the fact that really only Ware is a pass rusher...if something happens to him the 3-4 is probably dead for this yr

David

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I think it may be Parcell's way of asking for more......just a thought.

silver

Reaction score
maybe he wants his OLB's to actually sack the qb or at least put some pressure. other than thorton i didn't see too much of that. he might be pushing ware's buttons. i didn't think any of the other 3 played bad. but burnett or singleton hardly blitzed.

blindzebra

Reaction score
The problem right now is we have a proven, solid LB that has never been a blitzer so he will struggle with that aspect, a rookie from a 4-3, a basketball player/converted WR, and 3 converted DEs, that to quote Parcells, "Are having trouble with the mental aspects of shifting from pass rusher to coverage."

In other words we lack any experienced depth at OLB for the 3-4. Which means growing pains and maybe more 4-3 looks than we thought.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
I think he's mainly worried about the youth of the two guys he's obviously counting on (Ware, Burnett) and the fact that really only Ware is a pass rusher...if something happens to him the 3-4 is probably dead for this yr

David

This would be my take on it also, except instead of saying 3-4 is dead for this yr, I'd say pass rush period is dead for this year.

Do you think he's thinking of maybe bringing in another guy? Boleware, perhaps? Kevin Hardy?

I dunno.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Yeah Singleton is in an uphill battle to make the team... you can easily tell by his place on the depth chart. Oh wait...

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Rack said:
Yeah Singleton is in an uphill battle to make the team... you can easily tell by his place on the depth chart. Oh wait...

:laugh2:

Actually, I thought Als played pretty well the other night. I had started wondering if he might not make it through camp... but after watching him play in a 3-4, I definately stand corrected and think he'll not only make it, but be an asset as well. Asset with his play and asset with his experience for the young guys.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
He drafted Ware and Burnett, Als is not a 3-4 LB, and NOT a playmaker. He disappears on the field - JAG - Casper the friendly ghost. He played at 228 his whole career at Tampa where he mostly was a backup.....

Parcells seeking more 'catalytic' players
With 11th, 20th picks, Cowboys wants game-breakers
More on NFL
• Borges: Pats' three-peat bid no easy feat
• Expert: Five players to watch in 2005
• Borges: Top questions entering training camps
• Team-by-team training camp previews

Related Stories | What's this?
• Expert: These Cowboys are Parcells’ ‘guys’
• Parcells optimistic after spending spree
• Notes from Cowboys Camp: I'm Scared!
• Parcells still struggling with two issues
• A full season from Jones? Cowboys pumped

Most Popular
• Most Viewed • Top Rated • Most E-mailed

• 160 killed in Venezuela jet crash
• Protest campsite moving closer to Bush ranch
• Deadline past, Israel moves to shut settlements
• Husband of peace vigil mom files for divorce
• $50 laptop sale sets off violent stampede
• Most viewed on MSNBC.com
• Excerpts From Sept. 11 Transcripts
• Remains of 12 Vietnam MIAs heading home
• Engineers modify hybrids for more power
• Toronto hero saved plane passengers from fire
• Cancer bomb zaps tumor cells in mice
• Many Angry Men
• Reading Your Baby's Mind
• Study explains why garlic 'hurts so good'
• Secrets of healthy school lunches
• ‘Tommy Lee Goes to College’ — really

INSIDE NBCSPORTS.COM
• Scores, schedules
• Fantasy sports
• TV Schedule
• Whine of the Week
• Trash talk
• Week in Pictures • Sports Odds
• Game Matchups
• Team pages
• Transactions
• JT The Brick
• Answer Man
• Sports Store

The Associated Press
Updated: 5:00 p.m. ET April 22, 2005
IRVING, Texas - Bill Parcells has spent the entire offseason getting ready for this weekend.

That’s how important this draft is to the Dallas Cowboys and, perhaps, the final chapter in his coaching career.

The Cowboys own the 11th and 20th picks and are desperately seeking what Parcells likes to call “catalytic” players, the kind of game-breakers opposing coordinators spend all week trying to stifle yet still end up making big plays.

Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While that includes receivers, expect Parcells to pluck someone who can pressure quarterbacks as a defensive end, linebacker or, preferably, both.

Parcells has spent much of his time since ending a 6-10 season trying to decide whether to change from a 4-3 to the 3-4 defense. A DE-LB hybrid who could be effective in either formation would give him flexibility to make a wholesale change or just mix things up now and then.

“To me, you’ve got to find guys who fit both schemes,” said Jeff Ireland, Dallas’ new scouting director. “The more things you can do the more opportunities you have to make plays.”

2005 NFL draft
• Draft HQ: round-by-round picks, analysis
• 49ers take Alex Smith first
• Borges: Grading the draft
• Williamson: Broncos gamble on Clarett
• Celizic: Rodgers will get last laugh
• Auburn makes history
• More on draft

Parcells began studying the lack of plays his team made right after a season-ending loss to the New York Giants on Jan. 2. He attended Senior Bowl week in Mobile, Ala., and went to the scouting combine in Indianapolis. He didn’t go to either last year and went only to the combine his previous year, when he was just taking over in Dallas.

“I’m very impressed with the amount of his focus and the amount of resolve that I see,” team owner Jerry Jones said. “It’s more than what I saw last year.”

Studying hard has paid off for Parcells before, especially for these types of players. He took Willie McGinest fourth overall for the Patriots in 1994 and John Abraham at No. 14 for the Jets in 2000. He’d love to come away with anyone that productive again.

So, who might it be this time?

Shawne Merriman of Maryland seems like a perfect fit, as does speedy Demarcus Ware of Troy. A possible tiebreaker for Merriman is that he excelled against better competition in college, something Parcells values in the early rounds.

Marcus Spears of LSU is another name to watch, although he’s a different kind of hybrid. He’d be a down lineman in either system and might be best suited to be a block-eating end in the 3-4. Dallas already has added one widebody to the front in free agent Jason Ferguson, but another Parcells principle is that you can’t have enough big guys.

Oklahoma’s Dan Cody and Wisconsin’s Erasmus James also are possible targets, especially if Dallas moves down or tries moving up with its second pick. It’s worth noting that the Cowboys have used their own No. 1 pick only once in the last five drafts.

Another reminder is that Jones and Parcells went into last year’s draft looking for a running back. When they had their pick of them all, they instead moved into the second round and got Julius Jones, whom they ranked almost on par with the players everyone else had rated as first-rounders. Jones exceeded expectations on the field and that deal is how Dallas got this year’s extra first-rounder.

INTERACTIVE

• Round-by-round picks, analysis, more

The Cowboys also have the 10th pick in the second round, but lack a third-rounder because of the trade to get quarterback Drew Henson. Jones would like to replace that pick.

A possible trading partner is New Orleans. The teams have discussed Dallas acquiring defensive end Darren Howard, but talks stalled. If they heat up, the Saints probably would demand a second-round pick. Getting Howard, however, could adjust what the Cowboys look for in the draft — such as a young receiver to help veterans Keyshawn Johnson and Terry Glenn, both coming off injuries.

Between Mike Williams of Southern Cal, Mark Clayton of Oklahoma and Troy Williamson of South Carolina, at least one is likely to be available at No. 11 and maybe even at 20. Jones also may have his eye on Matt Jones of Arkansas, a phenomenal athlete who will try making it at receiver after playing mostly quarterback in college.

If Williams is there, it would show whether Jones was being truthful or trying to throw others off his trail when asked last week about how Dallas evaluated Williams and Maurice Clarett, both of whom didn’t play this past season.

“I think you’ve got to dock them,” he said, “and handicap the decision because they haven’t been on the field in a year.”

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Again, if Al Singleton is out the door, why is he starting?