Osa Odighizuwa’s Story

phildadon86

Reaction score
Not exactly. Both clinical depression and bipolar disorder are brain chemistry issues. I have a daughter who is bipolar and I’ve had to learn some of these things.

Depression and bipolar disorder both are problems caused by either the lack or too much of the brain chemicals serotonin and dopamine. Or in the case of bipolar disorder, it’s more like the person’s brain chemistry is very erratic.

When a bipolar person experiences a “manic episode”, their brain is flooded with dopamine, causing high energy behavior, sometimes resulting in risky or inappropriate behavior. When the opposite happens, the bipolar person can become seriously depressed or even angry for non obvious reasons. Thus, you see the highs and lows with untreated bipolar disorder.

This is certainly a non-medical, probably over simplified explanation. Both depression and bipolar disorder are brain chemistry issues. I’ve learned you cannot talk someone out of depression or expect someone suffering from one of these ailments to just snap out of it. Mental health is a real issue that we all have so much still to learn about. The brain is still a frontier where we have lots to learn.
Yeah I hear you. My fiancé was bi polar and passed away 4 years ago now from an overdose. Living with that is a very difficult thing so you sir are a hero. I wish nothing but the best for you and your family sir.

CWR

Reaction score
Not exactly. Both clinical depression and bipolar disorder are brain chemistry issues. I have a daughter who is bipolar and I’ve had to learn some of these things.

Depression and bipolar disorder both are problems caused by either the lack or too much of the brain chemicals serotonin and dopamine. Or in the case of bipolar disorder, it’s more like the person’s brain chemistry is very erratic.

When a bipolar person experiences a “manic episode”, their brain is flooded with dopamine, causing high energy behavior, sometimes resulting in risky or inappropriate behavior. When the opposite happens, the bipolar person can become seriously depressed or even angry for non obvious reasons. Thus, you see the highs and lows with untreated bipolar disorder.

This is certainly a non-medical, probably over simplified explanation. Both depression and bipolar disorder are brain chemistry issues. I’ve learned you cannot talk someone out of depression or expect someone suffering from one of these ailments to just snap out of it. Mental health is a real issue that we all have so much still to learn about. The brain is still a frontier where we have lots to learn.

100% accurate Bob, my heart goes out to those who struggle.

We can all do things to promote healthy brain chemistry and there are supplements which are very beneficial, although I caution they are supplements and not regulated so they deserve a deep dive into research. Even then most of us aren't able to adequately comprehend what we are doing. My regiment has come with quite a bit of trial and error. I wish western medicine had a larger emphasis on clean living and supplementation. We are all walking around with imbalances, many of which can be corrected. Something like 80% of Americans are magnesium deficient. Most of us have vitamin D deficiencies. Most of us have a high processed carbohydrate loaded diet. All of these things contribute to not feeling well, or happy. Most of these things are easily corrected with proper guidance and supervision.

The effects of modern life have not been healthy for our overall state of well being and there is a lot to be said for clean eating, exercise and sun. Electronics are wonderful and terrible at the same time.