OT Mitch Hyatt anyone?

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Hyatt meets with Cowboys, talks possible switch to right side

INDIANAPOLIS — Mitch Hyatt confirmed Thursday he had a formal interview with the Dallas Cowboys.

The former Clemson offensive lineman said the interview with the Cowboys went well when he spoke with the media after benching 28 reps of 225 pounds for coaches, scouts and general managers during the NFL Scouting Combine at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis, Ind.

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2019/...-cowboys-talks-possible-switch-to-right-side/

His floor is probably late third, so that's probably where the Cowboys would have to take him.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Checks all the traditional boxes for physical metrics (i.e. 6’-5”, 34”+ arm length, etc.).

I actually just watched his game versus South Carolina and came away pretty impressed.

Bluefin

Reaction score
The future of the right tackle position is definitely up in the air at this point.

La'el Collins is entering the final year of his contract and currently carries the seventh highest cap number on the team at $9.925M.

LC's had some good and bad moments at RT, but how can coaches and front office personnel properly evaluate him after the disastrous decision to hire Paul Alexander last year? The entire OL regressed badly trying to learn new techniques the first half of last season before Alexander was let go with the campaign on the brink.

Do they want Collins long term or is the plan to let him walk next year as a free agent and maybe get a conditional pick for him in 2021?

Beyond RT, Dallas also needs to address swing tackle with Cameron Fleming a free agent.

Phlegm isn't pretty, but the Cowboys went 3-0 when he started for Tyron Smith, which was a far cry from what we saw when the Trojan missed time in 2017.

I want to draft an OT, but I really prefer having a veteran handling swing tackle versus trusting a rookie.

The team doesn't always carry 4 OTs, but I hope it will be the case now.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Get your Clemson homering out of here.

Meanwhile, I hope we draft some Trojans

519Qy2NVOuL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

conner01

Reaction score
The future of the right tackle position is definitely up in the air at this point.

La'el Collins is entering the final year of his contract and currently carries the seventh highest cap number on the team at $9.925M.

LC's had some good and bad moments at RT, but how can coaches and front office personnel properly evaluate him after the disastrous decision to hire Paul Alexander last year? The entire OL regressed badly trying to learn new techniques the first half of last season before Alexander was let go with the campaign on the brink.

Do they want Collins long term or is the plan to let him walk next year as a free agent and maybe get a conditional pick for him in 2021?

Beyond RT, Dallas also needs to address swing tackle with Cameron Fleming a free agent.

Phlegm isn't pretty, but the Cowboys went 3-0 when he started for Tyron Smith, which was a far cry from what we saw when the Trojan missed time in 2017.

I want to draft an OT, but I really prefer having a veteran handling swing tackle versus trusting a rookie.

The team doesn't always carry 4 OTs, but I hope it will be the case now.
I’d love to keep Fleming and add a solid young guy to replace Collins next year

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Why wouldn't they look for what sort of trade options there are for Smith? Retain Collins and replace Smith.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hyatt meets with Cowboys, talks possible switch to right side

INDIANAPOLIS — Mitch Hyatt confirmed Thursday he had a formal interview with the Dallas Cowboys.

The former Clemson offensive lineman said the interview with the Cowboys went well when he spoke with the media after benching 28 reps of 225 pounds for coaches, scouts and general managers during the NFL Scouting Combine at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis, Ind.

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2019/...-cowboys-talks-possible-switch-to-right-side/

His floor is probably late third, so that's probably where the Cowboys would have to take him.
Id be down with him as high as 3. The OL is probably set for next season, but Collins is likely going to be elsewhere in 2020. Im not a fan of moving young players all over the line, so I would rather just keep Williams at LG. Drafting Hyatt would give us a year to develop a talented player at RT

Bluefin

Reaction score
Meanwhile, I hope we draft some Trojans
They talked about OT Chuma Edoga as a talented player yesterday on the Draft Show, but Dane Brugler wants nothing to do with him due to off field red flags and questions regarding his work ethic.

I’d love to keep Fleming and add a solid young guy to replace Collins next year
Me, too.

There's no telling how the open market will react, but Cameron Fleming shouldn't get any big offers, so re-signing will hopefully be possible and affordable.

FWIW, Bryan Broaddus dropped the name of Jermey Parnell yesterday on the Draft Show as a possible salary cap fatality in Jacksonville and someone to keep in mind for Dallas if that should happen.

Why wouldn't they look for what sort of trade options there are for Smith? Retain Collins and replace Smith.
Because Tyron Smith is one of the best LTs on planet Erf and a cornerstone player on the team.

The Cowboys will be considering La'el Collins' future and whether or not to replace him this year or next, not Smith.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
They talked about OT Chuma Edoga as a talented player yesterday on the Draft Show, but Dane Brugler wants nothing to do with him due to off field red flags and questions regarding his work ethic
He's a prima donna for sure. No thanks.

Bluefin

Reaction score
He's a prima donna for sure. No thanks.
It's impossible to tell how a player in his early twenties is going to react to becoming a professional football player.

Millions of dollars in salary and endorsements, possibly moving clear across the country to a completely new area. There are so many factors that are impossible to predict.

Some who look to be ready fail miserably, others regarded as risks for whatever reason rise to the occasion.

Dallas places a lot of emphasis of identifying guys with the right mindset who also love the game of football.

It didn't sound like Chuma Edoga would check those boxes off last night.

I'll pass, too.

conner01

Reaction score
They talked about OT Chuma Edoga as a talented player yesterday on the Draft Show, but Dane Brugler wants nothing to do with him due to off field red flags and questions regarding his work ethic.

Me, too.

There's no telling how the open market will react, but Cameron Fleming shouldn't get any big offers, so re-signing will hopefully be possible and affordable.

FWIW, Bryan Broaddus dropped the name of Jermey Parnell yesterday on the Draft Show as a possible salary cap fatality in Jacksonville and someone to keep in mind for Dallas if that should happen.

Because Tyron Smith is one of the best LTs on planet Erf and a cornerstone player on the team.

The Cowboys will be considering La'el Collins' future and whether or not to replace him this year or next, not Smith.
We would have one happy poster if Parnell came back

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We would have one happy poster if Parnell came back

In his final season in Dallas including 2 playoff games, Parnell was better than La'el was in 2018.

Jax appears to have cap problems or in the past they've had real-money problems.

conner01

Reaction score
In his final season in Dallas including 2 playoff games, Parnell was better than La'el was in 2018.

Jax appears to have cap problems or in the past they've had real-money problems.
I always liked Parnell. Very good run blocker and a perfect swing guy or replacement for Collins next year