Our Last Offensive play - Dalton Schultz

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Otherwise it would have been what 4th and 25/30? Better chance of executing that play when the D weren't completely expecting it. If the ball was a little higher Schultz was favourite to catch the ball

They were expecting it regardless if it was third or fourth down we were in desperation mode. The height of the pass wasn’t the problem it was under thrown. Schultz had to come back for the ball and the DB covering him appeared to grab the back of his jersey.

Swagger

Reaction score
They were expecting it regardless if it was third or fourth down we were in desperation mode. The height of the pass wasn’t the problem it was under thrown.
Well it wasn't completely all or nothing as we could have gone for a shorter throw and ended up within 5 yards of the end zone as we still had another down. My point is kind of the same as yours but if that was higher and in the air for longer then worst case it's an incomplete pass as none of their players could have competed with Schultz's catch radious

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Well it was completely all or nothing as we could have gone for a shorter throw and ended up within 5 yards of the end zone as we still had another down. My point is kind of the same as yours but if that was higher and in the air for longer then worst case it's an incomplete pass as none of their players could have competed with Schultz's catch radious

The higher the pass was and the longer it was in the air made it more likely it was going to be picked off. It was thrown up for grabs and under thrown. If you didn’t see the clip I posted here it is again.

Swagger

Reaction score
The higher the pass was and the longer it was in the air made it more likely it was going to be picked off. It was thrown up for grabs. The pass was under thrown. If you didn’t see the clip I posted here it is again.

But nobody is out jumping Schultz for a jump ball unless they hold him for PI - although he was actually held as it was.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
But nobody is out jumping Schultz for a jump ball unless they hold him for PI - although he was actually held as it was.

Again the pass was under thrown. A more lofted pass doesn’t mean it wouldn’t have been under thrown as well. The pass simply wasn’t deep enough. Dalton couldn’t get enough on the ball from the awkward angle he threw from with pressure in his face.

Swagger

Reaction score
I'm not sure Schultz even knew Andy threw it that way....I'm sure he had to be thinking that wounded duck couldn't possibly be intended for me...:omg:
If he thought that then he shouldn't be in the league next season. It's 3rd and forever, the o line had struggled to give the QB time to throw for the majority of the game so he should be expecting to be called upon to make a play unless he hasn't got a brain.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I thought a penalty could have been called
I prefer the odds of throwing it into the end zone towards the biggest and tallest player near the ball. He just needed a little more on it and Schultz either catches it or is held for PI...although he was any way!
Hard to attack the ball with a 220 pound man pushing down on your shoulder pad. Even if the refs don't call PI they could easily have called illegal contact. But they refused to throw anything.. because.. well.. Goodell hates the Cowboys..
It was way in front of him. He had no shot, plus was held.
He was definitely held, but you’re not going to see that called with Dalton out if the pocket.
I think he CAN do it. I think he spaced out there. Got suckered by a very close holding.
I thought he was held pretty good on the play personally.
It appears he was held slightly. The DB clearly reached for him to keep him from coming back for the ball. It wasn’t near blatant enough to get a call.

Here's the replay. Y'all are saying there's holding on this play? There is not. And as was correctly pointed out by a poster, with Dalton out of the pocket, illegal contact is out of the window. Holding is not and this is not holding. Half the things people claimed didn't even happen here. There was no pulling of the jersey nor a pulling of Shultz' hips. Video dispels "misremembering."

Shultz25.gif

Last edited:

Swagger

Reaction score
Here's the replay. Y'all are saying there's holding on this play? There is not. And as was correctly pointed out by a poster, with Dalton out of the pocket, illegal contact is out of the window. Holding is not and this is not holding. Half the things people claimed didn't even happen here. There was no pulling of the jersey nor a pulling of Shultz' hips. Video dispels "misremembering."

Shultz1-R.gif
I see the defender momentarily tugging/holding Schultz's arm. Plus he is only looking at Schultz - eyes not on the ball. It's not an awful non call but I have seen a flag thrown for that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Shultz1-R.gif

He appeared to hook his right arm impeding his progress to the ball and you can’t see the grab from behind from that angle. Granted it wasn’t much of a grab.

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
Jarwin is a big game downfield player. He went to college as a WR and outgrew the psition. He can get open deep, a skill Schultz does not have. Witten until his later years could get open at 15-25 yards, wihc Jarwin can do and Schultz cannot. But, DS has earned his keep as a very good #2 TE.

Swagger

Reaction score
I'd say to the 7 at best.
First contact would have likely been around the 7 and I would have been surprised if he didn't gain at least two yards thereafter although I'm surprised he dropped such a regulation catch.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I see the defender momentarily tugging/holding Schultz's arm. Plus he is only looking at Schultz - eyes not on the ball. It's not an awful non call but I have seen a flag thrown for that.

Yeah, holding didn't happen. He swiped at Shultz' arm because he thought the ball was getting there then but the language of holding is "materially restrict" which means some touching is okay, just not restricting in a significant way.

Swagger

Reaction score
Yeah, holding didn't happen. He swiped at Shultz' arm because he thought the ball was getting there then but the language of holding is "materially restrict" which means some restriction is okay. You can touch a guy.
He "materially restricted" Schultz from coming back to make a play on the ball. Even a slight hold is huge in such circumstances. We see it differently.