Our middle tier free agents

Verdict

Reaction score
We have guys like Beasley, Wilson and a few others who I am sure we would like to keep around, but at what price? I'm not just talking about cap implications.

If you let them walk they leave a hole that you have to fill. If you resign them you get a limited player that may prevent you from making the next step.

What direction do you think we will go/should go?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
You win with middle tier guys. If you stack top end guys with top end money, you’ll have too much garbage at the other positions and be in the same salary cap-ridden, 8-8 situation you were at the beginning of this decade.

A couple superheroes and a lot of normal heroes, that gets it done.

Kaiser

Reaction score
DLaw stays for sure, there are very few elite DEs.

The core guys like Amari Cooper and Dak get extensions, probably others like Byron Jones as well.

I think Damien Wilson gets a big contract and we are happy to take the compensation pick.

Beasley is a wildcard, they could let him walk, they could resign him quickly or they could let him test the waters and decide to match it (or not) at that point. I can definitely see a scenario where Beasley goes to FA, Dallas quickly signs a guy like Golden Tate or Humphries to replace him and then Beasley goes full Dez Bryant on Twitter.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Beasley and Wilson are cap casualties. Wilson is a decent LB and ST player that could be replaced in the draft for a lot less money.

Beasley will probably price himself out IMO. He’s good, just not worth what I’ve read he thinks he’s worth. If a Cowboys fan is honest and takes the “fan glasses” off, he’s not even a top 20 receiver in this league and will be 30 next season. Which means you should NOT pay big bucks for a 30 year old slot receiver who’s 5’8” and has declining skills.

Creeper

Reaction score
I would not go nuts trying to sign Wilson. I am pretty sure we could find a replacement for him. I want to keep Beasley but it depends on how much money he is going to cost. I have a feeling Beasely is going to get a ridiculous contract offer from someone with tons of cap room. There is always one team out there willing to go overboard on a guy. I believe Beasley is a guy that will not be easy to replace. If TWill got $3.5 million a year plus a bonus Beasley is going to get close to $10 million. I would not be shocked if he was offered more.

kskboys

Reaction score
You win with middle tier guys. If you stack top end guys with top end money, you’ll have too much garbage at the other positions and be in the same salary cap-ridden, 8-8 situation you were at the beginning of this decade.

A couple superheroes and a lot of normal heroes, that gets it done.
Unless you overpay mid tier guys, which we have had a bad habit of doing.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
We have guys like Beasley, Wilson and a few others who I am sure we would like to keep around, but at what price? I'm not just talking about cap implications.

If you let them walk they leave a hole that you have to fill. If you resign them you get a limited player that may prevent you from making the next step.

I’m letting both walk,and think Stephen will. You can’t really justify paying Wilson for the small role he plays,and in the case of both you can replace them without much trouble.

exciter

Reaction score
Wilson plays what 15 to 20% of the snaps. He can easily be replaced with March Lillard or Covington or a draft pick. Beasley is 30, he probably has more value to this team for 3rd down conversions that what he'll provide for other teams. I think the perception of the contract that he will be able to command is over inflated. They'll give him something back loaded that they can walk away from after 2 years, much like what they gave TWill!

HanD

Reaction score
Wilson is the type you have to let walk .he hasn't been a solid player enough to force being on the field until this year. He's the guy that good drafting replaces .Joe Thomas can take his place if Covington isn't ready. Covington needs to be ready in 2020.

For bease it really depends how great he thinks he is. Who do you want at wr3 behind coop and mg13? Bease? Hurns? Tavon?

Hurns is making 6.25 next year.
If you really want bease or hurns isn't ready you could cut hurns and save 5m. That could go to bease for 8m (he was making 4.25 this year)

Tavon could be a reasonably priced wr4.

Coop
Mg13
Hurns or bease
Austin
Cedrick Wilson and Noah brown
Late draft pick for competition

Last edited:

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Damien Wilson is the LB version of Jeff Heath, but with starters ahead of him. Fantastic depth but you want to limit his snaps and have him as an ST contributer.

He is going to go to a LB starved team to compete for a starting job and get paid. He’s not good enough for a new, higher paying contract.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Those are the tough ones because you just don't know what other teams will value them at.
I like Cole Beasley but he apparently wants 10m a year .. umm no. not at his age. Maybe 6-7M.
Damien Wilson is a very viably LB and we may lose Sean Lee to coaching or a starting role elsewhere but if he some 5-7M a year guy?
I don't think so.

Fleming I'd love to have back at the same kind of money. 2.5-3M per.
Martin, Reid, Datone all the same boat. At comparable money I love them as depth and roster guys.

Toughest one may be Swaim.
He's due a raise but how large? 18 Tight Ends make 4.7M or more... gross!!!
To me he may have to move on to find that cash.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Those are the tough ones because you just don't know what other teams will value them at.
I like Cole Beasley but he apparently wants 10m a year .. umm no. not at his age. Maybe 6-7M.
Damien Wilson is a very viably LB and we may lose Sean Lee to coaching or a starting role elsewhere but if he some 5-7M a year guy?
I don't think so.

Martin, Reid, Datone all the same boat. At comparable money I love them as depth and roster guys.

Would you retain Austin for fill for the 'departing' Beasley?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I don't think so.

Cole Beasley is as good as gone for that. I get his point - this will be his last contract and opportunity to earn, go to a team that will pay it.

Not the Cowboys.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Would you retain Austin for fill for the 'departing' Beasley?

I keep seeing this but they are very different players. Beasley is a much better slot receiver than Austin at this point. Austin is a role player but doesn't move the chains in the same way

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Churn baby Churn

you don't extend mid tier guys......just go year to year.... let them test the market before you overpay

get Comp Picks for Beasley and Irving..... whatever DWilson will get you and maybe Swaim

I would try to sign Austin but I would let RSmith test the market

Kaiser

Reaction score
Wilson plays what 15 to 20% of the snaps. He can easily be replaced with March Lillard or Covington or a draft pick.

We also have Joe Thomas, who looked great in preseseason but was forgotten when LVE broke out.

Also people are assuming Sean Lee is gone but LVE can play SAM and it wouldn't be hard to replace Wilson's snaps by putting Jaylon, Lee and LVE on the field together. If we can get a 4th or 5th round comp pick for Wilson - run don't walk and grab it.