Our middle tier free agents

Verdict

Reaction score
Myself, I can't wait to see all three on the field at the same time.

I think thts probably wishful thinking CC. If they go back and look at the tape on Sean Lee, and honestly evelauate his level of play, he won't be on the 53 next year at any price.

The caveat to that statement would be if he somehow finds a way to play better. I'm not sure how that is possible though. The Cowboys may not "make" Lee retire, but I think Lee knows how badly he played.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Sean Lee's level of play was so bad, if he can't play better than that, I don't want him back at the veteran minimum. He was that bad. I have never seen a guy's level of play fall that far that fast.
Fair point but we've seen enough of Lee to warrant another look once fully healthy especially if we are letting Wilson walk.
Lee has value in the film room even if not on the field.
That Rams game was not a good look for any DAL LB.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fair point but we've seen enough of Lee to warrant another look once fully healthy especially if we are letting Wilson walk.
Lee has value in the film room even if not on the field.
That Rams game was not a good look for any DAL LB.

Agreed, and keep in mind that because of the injuries Lee was never able to settle in and play week after week - most of the time he played he was either hobbled or rusty from having sat out a number of games. I don't really think he needs to be playing over LVE or Smith at this point, but he could potentially fill the Damian Wilson role (about 20-25% of the defensive snaps) and be a strong backup and mentor for the others.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Fleming isn't great but he is more valuable to the team than Cole Beasley under the circumstances.
I think that's probably accurate and Fleming is much younger. I'd really like him back.

But Beasley does get wide open on 3rd down and 3rd down is the winning down in football so I am not slamming any doors in Beasely's face.
But there is an upper price limit.

Almost seems like maybe we shoulda kept Switzer huh....

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Agreed, and keep in mind that because of the injuries Lee was never able to settle in and play week after week - most of the time he played he was either hobbled or rusty from having sat out a number of games. I don't really think he needs to be playing over LVE or Smith at this point, but he could potentially fill the Damian Wilson role (about 20-25% of the defensive snaps) and be a strong backup and mentor for the others.
Next year is the last year of his deal and you eat 3m to cut him so an extension that lowered his cap hit to say 4M would be a decent "value". You'll eat ~4M eventually somewhere anyway tho so maybe they prefer to rip the band aid off.

Verdict

Reaction score
Next year is the last year of his deal and you eat 3m to cut him so an extension that lowered his cap hit to say 4M would be a decent "value". You'll eat ~4M eventually somewhere anyway tho so maybe they prefer to rip the band aid off.

Lee's play fell off a cliff this year.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
I'd let Beasley go, simply because he's getting older and the chances of injury/missed time are probably increasing.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think thts probably wishful thinking CC. If they go back and look at the tape on Sean Lee, and honestly evelauate his level of play, he won't be on the 53 next year at any price.

The caveat to that statement would be if he somehow finds a way to play better. I'm not sure how that is possible though. The Cowboys may not "make" Lee retire, but I think Lee knows how badly he played.
I don't agree. He had a low production season...a first. I don't think that he can't straighten his play to a top level again. Just the previous season, he was a Pro Bowler. That, and the defense does play better with his leadership on the field. He's a valid defensive leader that well could have plugged the holes against much of the Ram game, through his analysis process live.

Verdict

Reaction score
I'd let Beasley go, simply because he's getting older and the chances of injury/missed time are probably increasing.

He also seems to have quite a negative attitude at times and appears to be somewhat ungrateful to the Cowboys. That sort of rubs me the wrong way since Garrett talked him into not quitting football altogether.

Verdict

Reaction score
I don't agree. He had a low production season...a first. I don't think that he can't straighten his play to a top level again. Just the previous season, he was a Pro Bowler. That, and the defense does play better with his leadership on the field. He's a valid defensive leader that well could have plugged the holes against much of the Ram game, through his analysis process live.

Leadership only matters if you can actually play. I like Sean Lee. He is one of my favorite Cowboys. But he totally sucked all of this year except for a very brief period.

Unless his play declined because he was playing injured then he is DONE.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
We have guys like Beasley, Wilson and a few others who I am sure we would like to keep around, but at what price? I'm not just talking about cap implications.

If you let them walk they leave a hole that you have to fill. If you resign them you get a limited player that may prevent you from making the next step.

What direction do you think we will go/should go?

Based on comments earlier in the year I think Beasley will be looking for more than the team may be willing to pay. He has talked of getting paid like other top slot WR which likely would be around 6 mill a year deal as opposed to the 3 mill he makes now. I think Dallas can get a slot WR in the middle rd of the draft like OU Marquise Brown or Hunter Renfro out of Clemson.

Lower tier FA I think Cowboys will not have problems getting those they feel have a future signed.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Leadership only matters if you can actually play. I like Sean Lee. He is one of my favorite Cowboys. But he totally sucked all of this year except for a very brief period.

Sorry fella...you are biased. There is enough youth on the team...and you greatly under appreciate top end leadership. Dallas once used wisdom and adjusted roles as some of their top players hit their upper age points. Linebacker is a touch different than a running back or receiver. Diagnosis and instinct means a ton more for them. Pre play analysis on the defensive side, eliminates some of the indicators up front...sorry, I won't buy into a dominant youthful view and then explain away individual talent.

If Lee says he is good to go...sorry guy, I'm listening to him. Without hesitation, he's a pro linebacker and really knows the score as a man.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

I love SLee but he has no value to us as a back-up

We need young athletic LBs that can play STs that don't cost 7m

Van Jaylon is the now and the future

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He may be lucky to get it, but don't be surprised if he receives substantially more than that. I don't know what he is "worth" quite frankly. His production has been minimal but that is largely a function of lack of use, rather than inability to get open.

I think you're right about his ability to get more production. A good QB could make a lot out of Beasley.

But back during the Dez saga, I looked at what WRs were getting in free agency. For "older" receivers, Jordy Nelson was the high at 7mil per season. Sort them by age, and the first guy who breaks that 7mil is 28.

And while they might get more than one year guaranteed, they're getting little more than one year guaranteed at signing.

Beasley will be 30 by training camp. And he's been nursing injuries since at least the Thanksgiving game. Not what you want in a contract year. Especially at 30.

I've been a fan of older WRs for a long time. Seems like you could often get them for a stick of gum. I think you can get a ton of production out of Beasley. But 7 looks about the ceiling for a UFA like Beasley.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2018/ufa/wide-receiver/

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I love SLee but he has no value to us as a back-up

We need young athletic LBs that can play STs that don't cost 7m

Van Jaylon is the now and the future

Van Jaylon is catchy. I'd rather have Van Jay Lee.

Lee shouldn't be a backup. He should start on the strong side.

Or let's just say he should start in the base, and they should figure out the best positions for each. I thought that was Lee WLB, Jaylon SLB, and LVE MLB. But they can figure that out.

In nickel, take out Lee. Or better, let Lee and LVE take traditional zone coverage roles of LBs, and let Jaylon be more of a wild card, playing man coverage on TEs like Byron used to do, or blitzing. Let Jaylon be a real big honking in the box SS in nickel.

And having Lee as a guy to backup LVE and Jaylon is some very nice depth.

Lee's almost immediate talk of retirement sounds like he's feeling down about his performance this year. Probably doesn't feel he is worth 7. I bet he would take a discount, and make it play dependent too. If the Cowboys made an offer now and let him know they think he could have a lot more in the tank, that could keep him playing and get us a very team friendly deal.

Lee is worth a couple mil cap just as a coach developing LVE and Jaylon. He had a crappy year, but I bet he can come back from it. There's value there that we should see about tapping. His upside is pretty high.

The upside of all three of them playing together is really high. We shouldn't be so eager to throw that chance away.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
We have guys like Beasley, Wilson and a few others who I am sure we would like to keep around, but at what price? I'm not just talking about cap implications.

If you let them walk they leave a hole that you have to fill. If you resign them you get a limited player that may prevent you from making the next step.

Well Beasley can walk. You have guys like Brown, Hurns and Wilson that we drafted last year not to mention you can draft another guy. Slot receiver isn't hard to find.

Wilson is decent but depends on the price. You have guys like March-lilard, Quiero and Covington not to mention I think Thomas still has another year on his deal. I would think we draft another LB this offseason.

Verdict

Reaction score
Based on comments earlier in the year I think Beasley will be looking for more than the team may be willing to pay. He has talked of getting paid like other top slot WR which likely would be around 6 mill a year deal as opposed to the 3 mill he makes now. I think Dallas can get a slot WR in the middle rd of the draft like OU Marquise Brown or Hunter Renfro out of Clemson.

Lower tier FA I think Cowboys will not have problems getting those they feel have a future signed.

I think Brown goes no later than the end of two but he would be a steal in the 3rd or later. He is small so that may push him down.

Verdict

Reaction score
Sorry fella...you are biased. There is enough youth on the team...and you greatly under appreciate top end leadership. Dallas once used wisdom and adjusted roles as some of their top players hit their upper age points. Linebacker is a touch different than a running back or receiver. Diagnosis and instinct means a ton more for them. Pre play analysis on the defensive side, eliminates some of the indicators up front...sorry, I won't buy into a dominant youthful view and then explain away individual talent.

If Lee says he is good to go...sorry guy, I'm listening to him. Without hesitation, he's a pro linebacker and really knows the score as a man.

I don't care what Lee SAYS. Lol. His play says he is done. If his level of play gets better, awesome, he can stick around. If not he can become a coach.

All of this "he was good before so he gets a pass now" stuff is really idiotic. He has to be able to play NOW. What he did before is irrrelevant.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

beasley is gone, wilson will get money to go somewhere else. I really think its Lawrence LP and maybe fleming and thats it.