Our offense is good but too predictable.

Kilyin

Reaction score
If you don't believe me, ask my wife (she posts here as Faerluna)... 80% of the time I can call our plays before Gurode snaps the ball... (hopefully not over Romo's head), if I don't have more than 8 or 9 beers in me.

I say we come out on first down for once, with 4 wide (even if one of those wides is Witten and/or Bennett). If you don't throw the checkdown or hit the deep pattern, then you hand the ball to Barber or Jones as a change of pace.

Why? Because most of the time, the Cowboys come out on first down in the I-formation and hand it to Barber. In our last three games against the Commanders, we've let them shut Barber down. IMO Marion is most effective when he catches defenses off guard and just runs people over. That's what the barbarian does. That and he has good hands in the passing/screen game.

I don't see enough playaction or passing on first down from this team.

That being said, don't ever give up on the run because you're seeing exclusive 8 man fronts. If you can't run on it and dictate the pace, then you pass, but abandoning the run down by 3 is a defeatist strategy. If Garrett hasn't realized that by now, he needs to.

Our defense better look a whole lot different this week than last Sunday. That's all I'll say about that.

Consider this my late rant.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Here's a wrinkle for the Bengals... bring Jones in as the starting back, give him a few carries and passes. If he can't produce fine, then you follow up in the 2nd quarter and on with Barber. If Jones is lighting them up, hit them with the one-two punch. If you want to let Barber start, you've got to get them both involved regardless. Even Crayton looks good when we can run the ball.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Kilyin;2306496 said:
If you don't believe me, ask my wife (she posts here as Faerluna)... 80% of the time I can call our plays before Gurode snaps the ball... (hopefully not over Romo's head), if I don't have more than 8 or 9 beers in me.

I say we come out on first down for once, with 4 wide (even if one of those wides is Witten and/or Bennett). If you don't throw the checkdown or hit the deep pattern, then you hand the ball to Barber or Jones as a change of pace.

Why? Because most of the time, the Cowboys come out on first down in the I-formation and hand it to Barber. In our last three games against the Commanders, we've let them shut Barber down. IMO Marion is most effective when he catches defenses off guard and just runs people over. That's what the barbarian does. That and he has good hands in the passing/screen game.

That being said, don't ever give up on the run because you're seeing exclusive 8 man fronts. If you can't run on it and dictate the pace, then you pass, but abandoning the run down by 3 is a defeatist strategy. If Garrett hasn't realized that by now, he needs to.

Our defense better look a whole lot different this week than last Sunday. That's all I'll say about that.

Thats a tactic teams use often, especially if they are good.Why show all your cards if you don't have to? Teams specifically save formation, wrinkles for big games.

I understand last week was tough to watch, but I dont expect that offense to come out any more this season. They got the point,im sure.

we will go hurry up, we will play action,move t.o around we will do a lot this season, however i doubt we will see much of that the next 3 weeks.

It makes it tough to prepare when you know a team is holding back waiting to unleash it.

have patience.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Kilyin;2306496 said:

In case you didn't know, not only the Skins game is yesteryear now, but we DO have a game to play in a couple of days.

BTW-noone was complaining about the playcalling in the 1st 3 games. After the Eagles game, as a matter of fact, everyone here was calling Garrett a GENIOUS.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Kilyin;2306496 said:

Eight (8) carries last game is hardly "most of the time". Based on the fact that the only loss we have came when we did NOT do that...maybe we should go Back to being Predictable.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
One thing you can almost always count on is if we have a holding penalty on 1st down leaving us with 1st and 20, we will pass on 1st down. If it's incomplete we will run on 2nd and 20. Same thing if we were set back due to a motion penalty and have a 1st and 15. We will usually run on 2nd and 15.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Kilyin;2306496 said:

Part of the problem was the Commanders had their cake and ate it too - they pretended to show 8-man fronts, causing Romo to audible into a pass which then caused the Commanders to take the 8th man away.

This is an issue with predictability - but a slightly different one than the one you are alluding to.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Kilyin;2306496 said:

Kilyin;2306503 said:
Here's a wrinkle for the Bengals... bring Jones in as the starting back, give him a few carries and passes. If he can't produce fine, then you follow up in the 2nd quarter and on with Barber. If Jones is lighting them up, hit them with the one-two punch. If you want to let Barber start, you've got to get them both involved regardless. Even Crayton looks good when we can run the ball.

you sure you haven't had 8 or 9 beers in you tonight.

thekavorka

Reaction score
only thing I can think of with our offense is the amount of 3rd and longs we have.

Sure we complete a lot of them, but in the long run, that can come back to bite you.

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
Muhast;2306514 said:
Thats a tactic teams use often, especially if they are good.Why show all your cards if you don't have to? Teams specifically save formation, wrinkles for big games.

I understand last week was tough to watch, but I dont expect that offense to come out any more this season. They got the point,im sure.

we will go hurry up, we will play action,move t.o around we will do a lot this season, however i doubt we will see much of that the next 3 weeks.

It makes it tough to prepare when you know a team is holding back waiting to unleash it.

have patience.

Thats a nice response but it would have seemed the Red learned his lesson from last years playoff loss, when we abandoned the run game before.

Mash

Reaction score
There wasnt a more predictable offense than the 90's SB teams......and they did all right.

Players just have to execute better....

That being said....it isnt like this team isnt scoring points and that is what really matters.

I more worried that our defense is too predictable and too passive......

Kilyin

Reaction score
JackMagist;2306557 said:
Eight (8) carries last game is hardly "most of the time". Based on the fact that the only loss we have came when we did NOT do that...maybe we should go Back to being Predictable.

That's because they abandoned the run and came out in shotgun every snap, which does go back to being too predictable.

And yes I had a few too many last night.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Eskimo;2306571 said:
Part of the problem was the Commanders had their cake and ate it too - they pretended to show 8-man fronts, causing Romo to audible into a pass which then caused the Commanders to take the 8th man away.

This is an issue with predictability - but a slightly different one than the one you are alluding to.

they got that from the Eagles..... showing a different look EVERY down than they are actually doing....

Brandon

Benched
Reaction score
The reason your wife could tell 80% of the plays was because we ran the ball 8 times, and stayed in the shotgun formation almost the entire time.

Your is wife far from a "football guru." A three year old with learning disabilities could have called our plays against Washington.