Our Philosophy on TEs

KingRah

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying I love Witten. I think he's the greatest. most complete TE ever, but it seems they want everyone to be Witten or else you won't see the field much. Everyone doesnt have his skill set.
Blake Jarwin is clearly the fastest and most explosive TE on the team. I know you have to block. I know Witten allows you to be unpredictable because he's complete, but why can't we get Jarwin more touches? I think he needs to get 4 targets a game every game. He's a mismatch. I truly believe that if we had T Kelsey, G Kittle or A Gates, they wouldnt be pro bowlers because we don't like athletic receiving TEs. WE want big blockers. I think we value blocking more than receiving from or TEs. What do you all thinK?

T-RO

Reaction score
-Kittle ran an official 4.52 at the combine AND is a well regarded blocker.
-Kelce is a so-so blocker, but he doesn't suck at it.

Unlike these guys Jarwin is a tweener. He's really not got the physical tools to maul.

I find your hypothesis a bit strange. Witten was a pro bowl tight end numerous times here. And though Witten sure isn't the guy he once was he's posted a very respectable PFF of 66.0.

Jarwin's PFF is 59.7. Despite this forum's fascination with the guy...He's just not the complete player that Witten is right now.

KingRah

Reaction score
-Kittle ran an official 4.52 at the combine AND is a well regarded blocker.
-Kelce is a so-so blocker, but he doesn't suck at it.

Unlike these guys Jarwin is a tweener. He's really not got the physical tools to maul.

I find your hypothesis a bit strange. Witten was a pro bowl tight end numerous times here. And though Witten sure isn't the guy he once was he's posted a very respectable PFF of 66.0.

Jarwin's PFF is 59.7. Despite this forum's fascination with the guy...He's just not the complete player that Witten is right now.
You totally missed the point. Kelse is ok at blocking . Gates was flat out terrible. He's a hall of famer. There are a few pro bowl receiving TEs that couldn't block like Shannon Sharp. There teams still used their receiving skills. This team values blocking over receiving.

T-RO

Reaction score
You totally missed the point. Kelse is ok at blocking . Gates was flat out terrible. He's a hall of famer. There are a few pro bowl receiving TEs that couldn't block like Shannon Sharp. There teams still used their receiving skills. This team values blocking over receiving.

Not nearly that simple.

Having Witten in helps the passing game in several ways. He is craftier at getting open and knowing how to shield defenders.

Meanwhile Jarwin is faster. Sure.

Fans here are easily seduced by a few plays where Jarwin has gone big--but frankly they've more been the result of poor defense. Why is Jarwin such a force against the Giants but generally disappears against other teams?

Jarwin isn't close to pro-bowl caliber tight end.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Jarwin has improved significantly as a blocker. As has Schultz for that matter.

Witten isn't as athletic as he was but he scraps with everything he's got he's been real fun to watch block this year.

KingRah

Reaction score
Not nearly that simple.

Having Witten in helps the passing game in several ways. He is craftier at getting open and knowing how to shield defenders.

Meanwhile Jarwin is faster. Sure.

Fans here are easily seduced by a few plays where Jarwin has gone big--but frankly they've more been the result of poor defense. Why is Jarwin such a force against the Giants but generally disappears against other teams?

Jarwin isn't close to pro-bowl caliber tight end.
He’s underused.