Our secondary isn't the problem guys

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
With Newman possibly being out for 4-6 weeks, I have a feeling this will put more much needed pressure on the DL and LB's to provide a better pass rush than what we've seen in the first 5 weeks of the season. I'm crossing my fingers that no suspension will occur with Adam Jones either.

The bottom line: our secondary isn't the problem, it's the pass rush. Ware isn't playing up to his potential, Canty has been virtually a non-factor in getting to the QB, it seems like Ellis takes an outside rush on passing downs almost every time which allows the QB to step up the in the pocket, Spears is the preseason MVP once again, and Hatcher hasn't developed like we thought he would. If we don't improve our pass rush; especially this week, Dallas is going to be in for a long day..

DTK

Reaction score
Our problem is that we have TOO MANY problems. Lack of a consistent pass rush, coverage problems, special teams, ability to sustain long drives, turnover ratio, off field issues, etc. Having said that, we are 4-1. Just imagine how good we could be if we just correct a few of those flaws.

PBJTime

Semper Fidelis
Reaction score
TheSport78;2322668 said:
With Newman possibly being out for 4-6 weeks, I have a feeling this will put more much needed pressure on the DL and LB's to provide a better pass rush than what we've seen in the first 5 weeks of the season. I'm crossing my fingers that no suspension will occur with Adam Jones either.

The bottom line: our secondary isn't the problem, it's the pass rush. Ware isn't playing up to his potential, Canty has been virtually a non-factor in getting to the QB, it seems like Ellis takes an outside rush on passing downs almost every time which allows the QB to step up the in the pocket, Spears is the preseason MVP once again, and Hatcher hasn't developed like we thought he would. If we don't improve our pass rush; especially this week, Dallas is going to be in for a long day..

Hahaha!:lmao:

I love when people post stuff like this. I won't even bother getting into it but it is funny.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
TheSport78;2322668 said:
The bottom line: our secondary isn't the problem, it's the pass rush. Ware isn't playing up to his potential,

Absolutely.
Playing zone and giving the QB all the time in the world leaves your secondary out on multiple islands....

DTK;2322969 said:
Our problem is that we have TOO MANY problems.
Lack of a consistent pass rush,
coverage problems,
special teams,
ability to sustain long drives,
turnover ratio,
off field issues, etc.

Having said that, we are 4-1. Just imagine how good we could be if we just correct a few of those flaws.

Yep... just a few and we are set.

If I had to choose just one.... I choose better pass rush. THAT goes a long way for us.

We can be average at best on the rest(except for offense, we score quickly) and STILL be a MAJOR FORCE.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Which is why I hope Jerry Jones does not let Canty and his reps corner him into signing him for big money. Until our team speed improves in our front 7 (outside of Ware)....teams are going to continue to spread us out on traditional run downs....which mean we need quicker DL to be effective. These DL we have are run stoppers....which is what Parcells wanted because of his memories from the 80s.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
their real problem is..........................

4-1 ................................GO COWBOYS

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
A little more pass rush would cure alot of our ills. Has the Poster of this thread watch some games this year?, Ware is by far the best playmaker we have on Defense.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
PBJTime;2322987 said:
Hahaha!:lmao:

I love when people post stuff like this. I won't even bother getting into it but it is funny.

Ware is by far our best player on defense, man. I'm not denying that. However, Ware's inability to show up in critical game situations is my reason for concern.

khiladi

Reaction score
AmishCowboy;2323141 said:
A little more pass rush would cure alot of our ills. Has the Poster of this thread watch some games this year?, Ware is by far the best playmaker we have on Defense.

I would dispute that. Ratliff is playing better right now and if anybody wants to argue that Ware faces double-teams all the time, so does Ratliff... In fact, he faces bigger double-teams than Ware does and probably more if not the same amount...

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Three-step drops, bubble screens, screens, and quick slants negate even the best pass rushes.

You can counter with a blitz, but that is dangerous. One missed tackle and it is off to the races.

You can counter with tight man coverage, but if the CB doesn't get a good jam or the WR gets behind the CB, it is a TD.

alancdc

Reaction score
YoMick;2323052 said:
Absolutely.
Playing zone and giving the QB all the time in the world leaves your secondary out on multiple islands....

Yep... just a few and we are set.

If I had to choose just one.... I choose better pass rush. THAT goes a long way for us.

We can be average at best on the rest(except for offense, we score quickly) and STILL be a MAJOR FORCE.

I agree about the pass rush. We must get back to the way we pressured McKnee and Rodgers. If we can get around Warner he will make mistakes.

utrunner07

Reaction score
dadymat;2323124 said:
4-1 ................................GO COWBOYS

yay yay yay yay!!! we are 4-1 yay lets throw a party!!!!!

WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE WERE 5-0 LAST YEAR AND LOOK AT WHERE THAT GOT US! ENOUGH WITH THE 4-1 BULL.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
A big problem is, way more than not, the QB drops back and releases the ball very quickly thus cancelling out the pass rush. If we can't cover for 2 seconds, we're doomed.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
If we would played defense like the Commanders and Eagles played against us, we would have a better pass rush.

Playing the CBs 10 yards off the ball, knowing that our CBs will not make a play on the ball allows teams to take 3 step drops and get rid of the ball quickly.