1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys News!
    #dallascowboys · Cowboys Fan Zone

Our Surprise Playoff Star

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by plasticman, Jan 15, 2022.

1. plasticman

plasticman Well-Known Member

6,815 Messages
    11,395 Likes Received
    I can't explain why but they exist. There are a few players out there right now that seem to be rather mediocre during the regular season.

Then, for some reason, when the playoffs begin, the player is all over the field. He's making impact plays, sometimes game changing plays. They can come from any squad but there seems to be more of them on defense.

These guys aren't Pro Bowlers. Well, I mean at that particular point in time when he first reveals himself as a postseason sensation. They are starters who typically play at a slightly above average level during the regular season, one of the less popular, mostly seen as the "other guy".

Their best season is, literally, the postseason.

Let me give you some examples

Four players are currently tied for 1st place in playoff INT's with 9. Two of them are in the Hall of Fame. One of the remaining two is a Dallas Cowboy, Charlie Waters.

That's right, Charlie Waters. By the time he made his 1st Pro Bowl in his 7th season, he had already played in three Super Bowls. Waters wasn't really that impressive during the regular season but he made some really big plays in the playoff games and built his reputation from there.

Another was James Washington who played for the 90's Cowboys. He saved his biggest plays for the playoffs.

Chuck Howley made his first Pro Bowl in his 8th season. A year later the Cowboys reached the playoffs for the first time while Howley reeled off four straight 1st team All Pro while playing in four NFL championship games.

During the playoffs in 1970 and 1971, the Cowboys played in their first two SB's. In the first SB Howley had 2 INT's and was named SB MVP. In the 2nd Super Bowl, Howley had an INT and a fumble recovery. It can be argued that he deserved MVP in the 2nd SB more than he did in the 1st.

Alvin Harper averaged 27.3 yards a reception in the playoffs and scored a TD every 6th reception. He is known for some of the greatest receptions in Cowboys playoff history.

Everybody knows about Larry Brown.

So the question is, who is the guy on this year's team? Who is the mysterious, overlooked, playoff surprise? It would not be someone obvious, like Micah or Randy. It would have to be totally unexpected, we never saw it coming.

My Candidates:

Dorrance Armstrong

Blake Jarwin

Jourdan Lewis

Cedric Wilson

Tony Pollard

You might claim some of them as obvious but I'm not talking about just increased productivity, I mean a playoff playmaker.

Ranching, Typhus, CCBoy and 7 others like this.
  2. mahoneybill

mahoneybill Well-Known Member

6,369 Messages
    4,033 Likes Received
    pollard

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Well-Known Member

632 Messages
    450 Likes Received
  4. plasticman

plasticman Well-Known Member

6,815 Messages
    11,395 Likes Received
    You think Pollard will do a "Timmy Smith" or a "Raheed Mostert"?.........Both were backups that gained over 200 yards in a single playoff game.

mahoneybill likes this.
  5. SHAMSzy

SHAMSzy Well-Known Member

1,275 Messages
    3,079 Likes Received
    Cedrick Wilson
    Jayron Kearse

ghst187, ryanbabs and 817Gill like this.
  6. dcstar

dcstar Well-Known Member

1,053 Messages
    1,488 Likes Received
    Mr Jarwin

Go Cowboys!

7. Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country Well-Known Member

12,560 Messages
    15,959 Likes Received
    Isn't it both Lamb and Diggs first playoff game?

America's Cowboy likes this.
  8. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

10,831 Messages
    10,507 Likes Received
    Greg Zuerlein. He actually makes all of his kicks and including XPts,lol.

9. Pass2Run

Pass2Run Well-Known Member

5,164 Messages
    6,648 Likes Received
    I'm going with Blake Jarwin, Blake Jarwin, and Blake Jarwin....

JustChip likes this.
  10. Redsfan_83

Redsfan_83 Well-Known Member

2,376 Messages
    1,916 Likes Received
    Pollard has to be given the chance to be our star, and with Zeke healthy we all know this will not happen. Not saying he won't make plays, but won't be given enough touches to be the difference maker unfortunately. Espeically with the 9ers D, Zeke will be used to block more than he will to run

11. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

16,964 Messages
    14,364 Likes Received
    I'd love it if Anthony Brown was that guy.

12. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    18,558 Messages
    34,305 Likes Received
    Pollard.....IF this offense gets going the way we have to, he will be a huge part of that. If he gets going, I just hope KM sticks with him....

13. Blackrain

Blackrain Well-Known Member

4,591 Messages
    6,634 Likes Received
    Tony Pollard and Cedric Wilson

ryanbabs and JustChip like this.
  14. cb626

cb626 New Member

5 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Maybe one of these Safeties....hell I'll go with
    Donovan Wilson
    Edit whoa whats going on with this font?

15. America's Cowboy

America's Cowboy Well-Known Member

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    23,556 Messages
    34,983 Likes Received
    :laugh:

ryanbabs and Bigdog like this.
  16. StarChamber_33

StarChamber_33 Well-Known Member

447 Messages
    404 Likes Received
    I live in the Bay Area [49er & Raiders central]., the other day I was listening to one of the local sports radio talk shows, one of the hosts mentioned the loss of Gallup and how it works to the 49ers advantage. He said without Gallup the passing game isn't as potent and that makes the Cowboys more vulnerable.. what he doesn't know is we have another guy [Cedric Wilson] that is very capable of making plays down the field.. With the attention Cooper, CeeDee & Schultz will get from opposing defenses, Wilson will have ample opportunity to make plays and help this team win.

buybuydandavis likes this.
  17. plymkr

plymkr Well-Known Member

6,926 Messages
    9,688 Likes Received
    My vote goes to Cedric Wilson. He just makes big plays when his number is called. That 4th down catch against the Patriots, total clutch. You can't teach clutch. Either you are or you're not. Ced Wilson is clutch.

DogFace likes this.
  18. DogFace

DogFace Carharris2

11,902 Messages
    13,663 Likes Received
    I’m really down on Lewis and hope he doesn’t play much. I think Jarwin is due a good game. Two td’s would be nice.

19. BermyStar

BermyStar Well-Known Member

1,448 Messages
    2,061 Likes Received
    Cedric Wilson & Neville Gallimore

Low key candidate: Malik Hooker

20. guag

guag Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01

19,389 Messages
    15,857 Likes Received
    Bossman Fat