Our Surprise Playoff Star

plasticman

Reaction score
I can't explain why but they exist. There are a few players out there right now that seem to be rather mediocre during the regular season.

Then, for some reason, when the playoffs begin, the player is all over the field. He's making impact plays, sometimes game changing plays. They can come from any squad but there seems to be more of them on defense.

These guys aren't Pro Bowlers. Well, I mean at that particular point in time when he first reveals himself as a postseason sensation. They are starters who typically play at a slightly above average level during the regular season, one of the less popular, mostly seen as the "other guy".

Their best season is, literally, the postseason.

Let me give you some examples

Four players are currently tied for 1st place in playoff INT's with 9. Two of them are in the Hall of Fame. One of the remaining two is a Dallas Cowboy, Charlie Waters.

That's right, Charlie Waters. By the time he made his 1st Pro Bowl in his 7th season, he had already played in three Super Bowls. Waters wasn't really that impressive during the regular season but he made some really big plays in the playoff games and built his reputation from there.

Another was James Washington who played for the 90's Cowboys. He saved his biggest plays for the playoffs.

Chuck Howley made his first Pro Bowl in his 8th season. A year later the Cowboys reached the playoffs for the first time while Howley reeled off four straight 1st team All Pro while playing in four NFL championship games.

During the playoffs in 1970 and 1971, the Cowboys played in their first two SB's. In the first SB Howley had 2 INT's and was named SB MVP. In the 2nd Super Bowl, Howley had an INT and a fumble recovery. It can be argued that he deserved MVP in the 2nd SB more than he did in the 1st.

Alvin Harper averaged 27.3 yards a reception in the playoffs and scored a TD every 6th reception. He is known for some of the greatest receptions in Cowboys playoff history.

Everybody knows about Larry Brown.

So the question is, who is the guy on this year's team? Who is the mysterious, overlooked, playoff surprise? It would not be someone obvious, like Micah or Randy. It would have to be totally unexpected, we never saw it coming.

My Candidates:

Dorrance Armstrong

Blake Jarwin

Jourdan Lewis

Cedric Wilson

Tony Pollard

You might claim some of them as obvious but I'm not talking about just increased productivity, I mean a playoff playmaker.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
I can't explain why but they exist. There are a few players out there right now that seem to be rather mediocre during the regular season.

Then, for some reason, when the playoffs begin, the player is all over the field. He's making impact plays, sometimes game changing plays. They can come from any squad but there seems to be more of them on defense.

These guys aren't Pro Bowlers. Well, I mean at that particular point in time when he first reveals himself as a postseason sensation. They are starters who typically play at a slightly above average level during the regular season, one of the less popular, mostly seen as the "other guy".

Their best season is, literally, the postseason.

Let me give you some examples

Four players are currently tied for 1st place in playoff INT's with 9. Two of them are in the Hall of Fame. One of the remaining two is a Dallas Cowboy, Charlie Waters.

That's right, Charlie Waters. By the time he made his 1st Pro Bowl in his 7th season, he had already played in three Super Bowls. Waters wasn't really that impressive during the regular season but he made some really big plays in the playoff games and built his reputation from there.

Another was James Washington who played for the 90's Cowboys. He saved his biggest plays for the playoffs.

Chuck Howley made his first Pro Bowl in his 8th season. A year later the Cowboys reached the playoffs for the first time while Howley reeled off four straight 1st team All Pro while playing in four NFL championship games.

During the playoffs in 1970 and 1971, the Cowboys played in their first two SB's. In the first SB Howley had 2 INT's and was named SB MVP. In the 2nd Super Bowl, Howley had an INT and a fumble recovery. It can be argued that he deserved MVP in the 2nd SB more than he did in the 1st.

Alvin Harper averaged 27.3 yards a reception in the playoffs and scored a TD every 6th reception. He is known for some of the greatest receptions in Cowboys playoff history.

Everybody knows about Larry Brown.

So the question is, who is the guy on this year's team? Who is the mysterious, overlooked, playoff surprise? It would not be someone obvious, like Micah or Randy. It would have to be totally unexpected, we never saw it coming.

My Candidates:

Dorrance Armstrong

Blake Jarwin

Jourdan Lewis

Cedric Wilson

Tony Pollard

You might claim some of them as obvious but I'm not talking about just increased productivity, I mean a playoff playmaker.

pollard

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Pollard has to be given the chance to be our star, and with Zeke healthy we all know this will not happen. Not saying he won't make plays, but won't be given enough touches to be the difference maker unfortunately. Espeically with the 9ers D, Zeke will be used to block more than he will to run

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Pollard.....IF this offense gets going the way we have to, he will be a huge part of that. If he gets going, I just hope KM sticks with him....

cb626

Reaction score
Maybe one of these Safeties....hell I'll go with
Donovan Wilson
Edit whoa whats going on with this font?

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
I live in the Bay Area [49er & Raiders central]., the other day I was listening to one of the local sports radio talk shows, one of the hosts mentioned the loss of Gallup and how it works to the 49ers advantage. He said without Gallup the passing game isn't as potent and that makes the Cowboys more vulnerable.. what he doesn't know is we have another guy [Cedric Wilson] that is very capable of making plays down the field.. With the attention Cooper, CeeDee & Schultz will get from opposing defenses, Wilson will have ample opportunity to make plays and help this team win.

plymkr

Reaction score
My vote goes to Cedric Wilson. He just makes big plays when his number is called. That 4th down catch against the Patriots, total clutch. You can't teach clutch. Either you are or you're not. Ced Wilson is clutch.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I’m really down on Lewis and hope he doesn’t play much. I think Jarwin is due a good game. Two td’s would be nice.

BermyStar

Reaction score
Cedric Wilson & Neville Gallimore

Low key candidate: Malik Hooker