Over-Reaction, as usual

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We just sucked yesterday. I have many opinions as to the reason, but I have nothing to back them up, so I'll keep my mouth shut, for now. I agree with many of you and disagree with a few, but at the end of the day, it's all about how we bounce back.
The kool aid was tasting to good. The Broncos dropped a turd in our punch bowl yesterday, let's see what we do about it.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Props to the OP.. in all seriousness, I wish we had more clear and thoughtful thinking like this. On top of everything else we were flawed schematically plain and simple. I was really impressed with Denver's balance and play calling offensively.

Sydla

Reaction score
Props to the OP.. in all seriousness, I wish we had more clear and thoughtful thinking like this. On top of everything else we were flawed schematically plain and simple. I was really impressed with Denver's balance and play calling offensively.

Denver, at least offensively, looked how I expected us to look......... balanced, solid running, working the intermediate routes, etc.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
An entire list of problems and yet not one real criticism of the lack of effective adjustments, game plan, etc. other than off comment that maybe next time we play Denver we'll have a different game plan.

No, Garrett shouldn't be fired today. But his staff were as complicit in that loss as any player.
They adapted and left the run game and started passing to loosen the Broncos up, but Dak and the WR's didn't get the job done. It's one thing to change the approach; it's another thing to take a 2nd year QB who prepared one way all week and expect him to be at his best when that all changes unexpectedly. Dak had never seen a team stick with 7 and 8 man fronts against 3 wideouts.

Sydla

Reaction score
They adapted and left the run game and started passing to loosen the Broncos up, but Dak and the WR's didn't get the job done. It's one thing to change the approach; it's another thing to take a 2nd year QB who prepared one way all week and expect him to be at his best when that all changes unexpectedly. Dak had never seen a team stick with 7 and 8 man fronts against 3 wideouts.

Sorry but I just can't get behind any criticisms of the game that basically leaves the coaches off the hook. No, they weren't the only reason we lost but they absolutely had a hand in that debacle yesterday. I am stunned how people simply just want to leave them free of blame and blame "execution" and other player issues based on what we saw yesterday.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
^
This.

An amazing lack of awarness on display after the team was completely dominated.

:facepalm:
isn't that what being "beaten by a better team" means? I don't think I'm making excuses. To blame someone because you don't think you were the lesser team and should have won; I see that as making an excuse.

Verdict

Reaction score
I am as pissed off as anyone here about our play yesterday in that game. Denver is a really hard place to play because of the altitude. Altitude fatigue is a real life factor. It's not a mental thing. It is physiological.

I am not sure that the altitude is the main reason for our teams ****** play but I have to think it was a factor. When Sean Lee and the OL all lay an egg it's systematic. I am certain the altitude was a contributing factor in the loss. I'm just not sure how much it affected our play.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Also, Hitchens is vastly overrated by some back here. Nice player, better suited as a back up. He's not changing the face of the defense all that much. Smith was fine against the Giants and made some plays Hitchens could never, ever make. Hitchens wouldn't have been able to make the tackle on that reverse last week against the Giants, for example. Now Smith struggled yesterday but so did just about every defensive player other than Lawrence.

Certainly it would be great to get him back to provide depth and some options at LB, but we didn't lose because Hitchens wasn't out there.
Surely you jest. We need better coaches then, because if Hidgens was healthy, Jaylon would still be on the sideline for much of the game. And please tell me a play Jaylon made that Hidgens couldn't make... I missed that.

Sydla

Reaction score
Surely you jest. We need better coaches then, because if Hidgens was healthy, Jaylon would still be on the sideline for much of the game. And please tell me a play Jaylon made that Hidgens couldn't make... I missed that.

Hidgens.

LOL.

Is there a joke I am missing here?

And the play you missed was the reverse the Giants ran last week. The defense flowed left but Smith read the reverse, was quick enough to get around the OT who had position to block him and ran down a WR on the reverse. If Smith doesn't make that play, it's a much bigger play.

"Hidgens" doesn't have the speed to make a play like that.

Hitchens is always one of the most overrated players every offseason. He's a plugger. Not much else.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
While I agree that there is plenty of overreaction going on, it's still has to give you pause to see a SB caliber team play as poorly as they did on Sunday. Let's see how this team bounces back against the Cardinals.
And that's where we disagree. I don't think we're even close to being a SB caliber team. I'm not saying we couldn't get hot and lucky and get there, but our defense is a work in progress. I just want to win the division and a playoff game.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Sorry but I just can't get behind any criticisms of the game that basically leaves the coaches off the hook. No, they weren't the only reason we lost but they absolutely had a hand in that debacle yesterday. I am stunned how people simply just want to leave them free of blame and blame "execution" and other player issues based on what we saw yesterday.
I agree, and I think it's fair to say the coaches and the players did a poor job; I just happen to also think we were beaten by a better team. Better coaching, better tackling....I think we still lose because we were short handed and inexperienced at key positions.

Sydla

Reaction score
I agree, and I think it's fair to say the coaches and the players did a poor job; I just happen to also think we were beaten by a better team. Better coaching, better tackling....I think we still lose because we were short handed and inexperienced at key positions.

Well this is a little bit different than your previous post. This I can agree with.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Denver, at least offensively, looked how I expected us to look......... balanced, solid running, working the intermediate routes, etc.

Precisely... they did whatever they wanted however honestly Sanders/Thomas are highly skilled and a poor matchup for us. They used play action like I wish we did and we have by far a superior line/running game. It's one thing to get beat. Something else entirely when your scheme is flawed and you're outcoached.

Last edited:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I began the OP with "The Cowboys were beaten by a better team on Sunday; it's as simple as that."

Then I attempted to explain why they were the better team yesterday. I left the coaches out of it, but I think explaining why we were the lesser team was viewed as an excuse by many. I see it as the opposite. To me if you actually think the Cowboys are a better team than the Broncos right now and that we should have won, then everyone you blame for the loss is making an excuse.

risco

Reaction score
The Cowboys were beaten by a better team on Sunday; it's as simple as that, and it's not questionable on paper or on the field. That doesn't mean the head coach should be fired or Linehan and Marinelli are too simplistic, or anything else.

The facts are simple.

Defense:
  • We started the game down two key linemen, and this wasn't the Giants OL
  • We started the game down our best CB, and in short order, we were down 3 CBs, later 4 when Carrol left a second time, not to mention Jordan Lewis getting his first ever NFL experience having to play outside alone.
  • We were down one of our best LBs, and while Jaylon Smith may turn out to be the best thing since sliced bread, right now he's not even in the same tier as Hidgens. He didn't play well against the Giants, and yesterday he was confused and late reacting. We had a lot of rookies and others who are just starting to learn the NFL game.
  • The Bengals ran out much better WR's than the Giants did, and they had a hard-nosed run game that abused our 6-man front.
Offense:
  • The Broncos decided to play their base defense no matter how many WR's we used. They had 7 man fronts with an 8th nearby, and they were closing on our run game fast. The bottom line is that any team can stop any run game anytime they want if they want to commit enough resources to do so, no matter how good the OL is.
  • The WRs and QB didn't make Denver pay for stopping the run game. Denver had confidence in one of the best secondaries and pass rushes, and we played right into their hands by dinking and dunking instead of threatening them deep.
  • Dak wasn't under duress the whole game, but he played like it. He was hesitant, and he missed receivers with poor throws and some that were just late. He didn't have a good game. If the QB can't make a defense play a 6 man front against a 3 receiver set, then the offense isn't going to run the ball well.
Yesterday, the Broncos were unquestionably the better team. Maybe when we have all our players back from suspensions and injuries, and when our rookies have some seasoning and don't have to be the front line guys, and maybe when the game plan is prepared for what Denver threw at us and Dak has a better game, maybe the Cowboys will be the better team...maybe not.

Either way, we are still the favorites to win our division, in my mind.

The Cardinals are on the horizon. Expect them to follow Denver's game plan; expect Peterson to take Dez out of the game. It will be up to Dak and the rest of the receivers to force the Cardinals back into pass coverage in order to open the running game. The Cardinals have the defense to try what Denver did, but the Cardinals aren't the Broncos, and Dallas won't be surprised.

Very good read Chuck. People also need to realize adversities will come. It's a long season and we had several in the game. The question is how will we (Cowboys) deal with them? We can point fingers and play the blame game all day.

conner01

Reaction score
People over reacted to giants win and bronco loss. That's what fans do
Neither game really tells you much about the team going forward one way or the other
By mid season you will have a general idea what the team actually is, good or bad