Over-Reaction, as usual

Sydla

Reaction score
I began the OP with "The Cowboys were beaten by a better team on Sunday; it's as simple as that."

Then I attempted to explain why they were the better team yesterday. I left the coaches out of it, but I think explaining why we were the lesser team was viewed as an excuse by many. I see it as the opposite. To me if you actually think the Cowboys are a better team than the Broncos right now and that we should have won, then everyone you blame for the loss is making an excuse.

Well, Vegas had us as a favorite on the road. So in some circles, this notion that we weren't as good as Denver isn't flying.

So I won't say we are a better team but we are, at the very least, an equal. We got outplayed and outcoached yesterday. Pretty simple. We didn't lose because we simply just don't have the talent on the field to beat the Broncos, home or away.

risco

Reaction score
An entire list of problems and yet not one real criticism of the lack of effective adjustments, game plan, etc. other than off comment that maybe next time we play Denver we'll have a different game plan.

No, Garrett shouldn't be fired today. But his staff were as complicit in that loss as any player.
I know how you feel. On first thought- I'd say fire them all, but that would not solve anything. The coaches as well as the players needs to handle the adversity and move on.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
The fact the Broncos played their base defense should tell you the respect they have for the Dallas WR's.

I don't care if anyone agrees or it hair lips the governor, Dez is now middle of the road. Occasionally he can make a brilliant catch. But the guy cannot get open because he has no real speed of moves.

I am supremely disappointed in the attitude of Zeke. He is looking like a spoiled athlete now. If Garrett is a real head coach he will show that replay of the pick where Zeke stood there and did not run after the defender. In front of everyone on the team. Then ask him what he was thinking so he can tell the team why he quit on that play. Maybe even apologize. If he pouts, then bench him for a game.

Then players have rallied around him over this misconduct thing. They deserve better and he needs to get his mind right.

I am not in panic mode. My feeling coming into the season is this will be a tough year because they are revamping most of the DB's and still have no consistent pass rush. If that is the case, so be it. I look forward to a nice draft slot.

As of now I do not consider the Dallas Cowboys having a #1 receiver. Call it reactive, as you like. But I am not pissed over the loss. It's just one game. I am irritated over a slow footed WR who got paid like Irvin and shows up like Julius Jones on the tough days.

PS. Garrett is still not a head coach.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We just sucked yesterday. I have many opinions as to the reason, but I have nothing to back them up, so I'll keep my mouth shut, for now. I agree with many of you and disagree with a few, but at the end of the day, it's all about how we bounce back.
The kool aid was tasting to good. The Broncos dropped a turd in our punch bowl yesterday, let's see what we do about it.
Personally, I would appreciate hearing your view on yesterday.

I tend to be a data-driven, show me numbers kind of guy. As bad as yesterday was, there is always an opportunity to learn.

Looking at the numbers, the Denver game was the polar opposite of the NYG game. I am probably less concerned with the "why" and more concerned with the "how" this happened. How did Denver takeaway our run game? How did they run on our front seven? You get the drift.

I guess the one thing that really sticks in my craw is this: we had an extended weather delay in the 1H along with half-time. I can't say I saw any significant change to our game plan after either.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
I am as pissed off as anyone here about our play yesterday in that game. Denver is a really hard place to play because of the altitude. Altitude fatigue is a real life factor. It's not a mental thing. It is physiological.

I am not sure that the altitude is the main reason for our teams ****ty play but I have to think it was a factor. When Sean Lee and the OL all lay an egg it's systematic. I am certain the altitude was a contributing factor in the loss. I'm just not sure how much it affected our play.
I think the altitude does have an eventual effect on some teams. Broncos came out from play one and punched us in the nose and we bled the rest of the game. We even had an hour long lightening break to adjust our cleats and adjust to the noise and their onslaught (which I though we would). We came out of the break like we left which is with our thumbs up our butts on both sides of the ball. I was there and watching pregame warm up which was like watching my 5 year old daughter's soccer team asking about halftime so they can have their juice boxes and cookies. This team was ready to get on the plane home before the game started.

DFWJC

Reaction score
They adapted and left the run game and started passing to loosen the Broncos up, but Dak and the WR's didn't get the job done. It's one thing to change the approach; it's another thing to take a 2nd year QB who prepared one way all week and expect him to be at his best when that all changes unexpectedly. Dak had never seen a team stick with 7 and 8 man fronts against 3 wideouts.
This mostly.

I do think Minnesota used this game plan effectively against us last year.
Arizona will try it too.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Everyone should be fired, including any excuses making fans. :thumbup:

Cowboys suck, they just caught other teams off guard last year with their offensive style change. Now everyone knows them and now death and destruction back is the norm again.

Merry Christmas.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Personally, I would appreciate hearing your view on yesterday.

I tend to be a data-driven, show me numbers kind of guy. As bad as yesterday was, there is always an opportunity to learn.

Looking at the numbers, the Denver game was the polar opposite of the NYG game. I am probably less concerned with the "why" and more concerned with the "how" this happened. How did Denver takeaway our run game? How did they run on our front seven? You get the drift.

I guess the one thing that really sticks in my craw is this: we had an extended weather delay in the 1H along with half-time. I can't say I saw any significant change to our game plan after either.
I've been in lightening delays, they suck. I've been on both ends of blow outs, they both suck, especially when you are losing. Ive also been part of VERY good teams where it's easy for players, coaches and especially fans to let it go to their heads. It is easier to coach an average team, than it is to coach a great team, especially one that THINKS its great. Just rambling off, sorry.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everyone should be fired, including any excuses making fans. :thumbup:

Cowboys suck, they just caught other teams off guard last year with their offensive style change. Now everyone knows them and now death and destruction back is the norm again.

Merry Christmas.
NO, YOU SUCK!!! Lol, Feliz Navidad.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
isn't that what being "beaten by a better team" means? I don't think I'm making excuses. To blame someone because you don't think you were the lesser team and should have won; I see that as making an excuse.

Look again.
:omg:

Verdict

Reaction score
I think the altitude does have an eventual effect on some teams. Broncos came out from play one and punched us in the nose and we bled the rest of the game. We even had an hour long lightening break to adjust our cleats and adjust to the noise and their onslaught (which I though we would). We came out of the break like we left which is with our thumbs up our butts on both sides of the ball. I was there and watching pregame warm up which was like watching my 5 year old daughter's soccer team asking about halftime so they can have their juice boxes and cookies. This team was ready to get on the plane home before the game started.

Actually we were in the game early. The longer the game went on the worse we played. It appeared to be a factor. I think at some point we pretty much quit, too. That's not good.

Staubacher

Reaction score
The fact the Broncos played their base defense should tell you the respect they have for the Dallas WR's.

I don't care if anyone agrees or it hair lips the governor, Dez is now middle of the road. Occasionally he can make a brilliant catch. But the guy cannot get open because he has no real speed of moves.

I am supremely disappointed in the attitude of Zeke. He is looking like a spoiled athlete now. If Garrett is a real head coach he will show that replay of the pick where Zeke stood there and did not run after the defender. In front of everyone on the team. Then ask him what he was thinking so he can tell the team why he quit on that play. Maybe even apologize. If he pouts, then bench him for a game.

Then players have rallied around him over this misconduct thing. They deserve better and he needs to get his mind right.

I am not in panic mode. My feeling coming into the season is this will be a tough year because they are revamping most of the DB's and still have no consistent pass rush. If that is the case, so be it. I look forward to a nice draft slot.

As of now I do not consider the Dallas Cowboys having a #1 receiver. Call it reactive, as you like. But I am not pissed over the loss. It's just one game. I am irritated over a slow footed WR who got paid like Irvin and shows up like Julius Jones on the tough days.

PS. Garrett is still not a head coach.

Zeke is Joseph Randle with more skill and cleaner underwear.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Actually we were in the game early. The longer the game went on the worse we played. It appeared to be a factor. I think at some point we pretty much quit, too. That's not good.
I think we were in the game due to the score only but their offense and defense never struggled from beginning to end and ours did throughout. Their first offensive drive made Carroll look like he's never seen a football before. They were running routes making it look like we were playing on rollers skates.
Totally agree that we quit. Our body language was pitiful after the end of the 3rd quarter. Never seen that with this team, with this coach and your spot on that it's not a good sign, esp for the 2nd game of the season. Wow.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think we were in the game due to the score only but their offense and defense never struggled from beginning to end and ours did throughout. Their first offensive drive made Carroll look like he's never seen a football before. They were running routes making it look like we were playing on rollers skates.
Totally agree that we quit. Our body language was pitiful after the end of the 3rd quarter. Never seen that with this team, with this coach and your spot on that it's not a good sign, esp for the 2nd game of the season. Wow.

About halfway through the 1st quarter I thought the tide would turn and we would take over the game like we usually do. It turned alright, but it went the other way instead.

When the Cowboys play in Denver they need to acclimate by spending the week in Denver, or an even higher elevation so that their bodies can get used to the thinner air.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
An entire list of problems and yet not one real criticism of the lack of effective adjustments, game plan, etc. other than off comment that maybe next time we play Denver we'll have a different game plan.

No, Garrett shouldn't be fired today. But his staff were as complicit in that loss as any player.

I completely agree. But this was about the Dallas defense and the Denver Defense. And one could argue that the call on Demarcus Lawrence using the guys back was a game changer. Score was tied 7-7 at that point with Dallas getting the ball in good field position. Dont recall if the FG attempt actually went through.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
About halfway through the 1st quarter I thought the tide would turn and we would take over the game like we usually do. It turned alright, but it went the other way instead.

When the Cowboys play in Denver they need to acclimate by spending the week in Denver, or an even higher elevation so that their bodies can get used to the thinner air.
Yep. I posted earlier that the team should come in a day or 2 early and stay/work out in Leadville, CO in the mountains to get acclimated. I have buddies from Austin come in to climb 14ers and we always spend 2 or 3 days in the mountains hydrating before we attempt a climb. Some do better than others because the hydrating is mostly beer, but I never attempt to take "flatlanders" on a climb the first or second day they arrive.

Verdict

Reaction score
Yep. I posted earlier that the team should come in a day or 2 early and stay/work out in Leadville, CO in the mountains to get acclimated. I have buddies from Austin come in to climb 14ers and we always spend 2 or 3 days in the mountains hydrating before we attempt a climb. Some do better than others because the hydrating is mostly beer, but I never attempt to take "flatlanders" on a climb the first or second day they arrive.

I'm no expert on it, but the longer they are in the mountains the more acclimated I would expect them to be.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
I'm no expert on it, but the longer they are in the mountains the more acclimated I would expect them to be.
Especially if you were acclimating at 8K or 9K altitude, then came down to the city at 5280 to play.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
No matter what player you like to blame, the bottom line is this team was ill prepared. Every phase of the game looked like crap. That's solely on Garrett-Top & his staff. He's the Jeff Heath of NFL head coaches.....