CFZ Overcoming History

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
History is a stubborn thing. It’s hard not to ignore two and a half decades of evidence. My favorite team in the entire decade of the 70s and most of the 90s were as dependable as a clock tower when it came to Divisional titles, playoff wins, conference championship games and even SBs.

That was in the 20th century.

Here’s some team history of the last quarter century that must be overcome for this team to have a successful 2022:
  • They haven’t won back to back division titles since 95-96.
  • They haven’t had back to back double digit win seasons since 95-96.
  • They haven’t made the playoffs in back to back seasons since 2006-07.
  • Here’s a real stumper- the Cowboys haven’t won a road playoff game since the 1992 NFC Championship at SF!
  • The last Cowboys head coach to coach a team to back to back playoff seasons? Chan Gailey 1998-99. (Landry did numerous times 67-85, Jimmy did 91-93, Barry did it 94-96, then Gailey- that’s it)
Looking at the 2022 Cowboys roster- If I’m being objective without the fan glasses on, I cannot honestly say this team is as good or better than last year. Certainly hope I’m wrong and will celebrate if the Cowboys finally break out of these historical trends. I see something like 9-8 this year with possible WC playoff opportunity.

If Tyler Smith develops quickly…if Jason Peters can be effective…if Zack Martin stays healthy and dominant…if the defense takes another step forward…if Micah Parsons is even better than last year…if our kicker is dependable in big moments…if Kellen Moore proves he can adjust to DCs throwing wrinkles…if Dak stays healthy and plays at a high level…if the team cuts down on penalties….

Lot of ifs. But hope is always a good thing.
Here’s hoping we break some shackles of history this season! GO COWBOYS!

JayFord

Reaction score
if they go out there and play 4 quarters of football they'll win the superbowl no kidding

problem is they play tennis, volleyball and basket hoops until the 4th quarter

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
if they go out there and play 4 quarters of football they'll win the superbowl no kidding

Reminds me of the hilarious and “insightful” half time interviews the great college FB coach Mike Leach has given over the years as he’s walking off the field.

When his team is trailing at half and is given the amazingly stupid question, “Coach what does your team need to do in the second half?”, he utters the only smart thing a coach could say- “We need to play better”.

JayFord

Reaction score
Reminds me of the hilarious and “insightful” half time interviews the great college FB coach Mike Leach has given over the years as he’s walking off the field.

When his team is trailing at half and is given the amazingly stupid question, “Coach what does your team need to do in the second half?”, he utters the only smart thing a coach could say- “We need to play better”.

its true...When Dallas plays against good teams the first 3 quarters idk what sport theyre playing

the first 3 quarters against SF i was confused.....i thought someone had aired a comedy sketch

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Parsons is a franchise changer. He’s the best player we’ve had since Emmitt. He will change this trend with total disruption of an offense.

We’ve have the offense for a while. Now we have D. And let’s hope a good special teams with Turpin and some speed on coverage.

plymkr

Reaction score

That's cuz it was sketched.....

By the Illuminati!!!!!
Cue the X-Files theme song

Blackrain

Reaction score
History is a stubborn thing. It’s hard not to ignore two and a half decades of evidence. My favorite team in the entire decade of the 70s and most of the 90s were as dependable as a clock tower when it came to Divisional titles, playoff wins, conference championship games and even SBs.

Here’s some team history of the last quarter century that must be overcome for this team to have a successful 2022:
  • Here’s a real stumper- the Cowboys haven’t won a road playoff game since the 1992 NFC Championship at SF!
  • The last Cowboys head coach to coach a team to back to back playoff seasons? Chan Gailey 1998-99. (Landry did numerous times 67-85, Jimmy did 91-93, Barry did it 94-96, then Gailey- that’s it)
Looking at the 2022 Cowboys roster- If I’m being objective without the fan glasses on, I cannot honestly say this team is as good or better than last year. Certainly hope I’m wrong and will celebrate if the Cowboys finally break out of these historical trends. I see something like 9-8 this year with possible WC playoff opportunity.

If Tyler Smith develops quickly…if Jason Peters can be effective…if Zack Martin stays healthy and dominant…if the defense takes another step forward…if Micah Parsons is even better than last year…if our kicker is dependable in big moments…if Kellen Moore proves he can adjust to DCs throwing wrinkles…if Dak stays healthy and plays at a high level…if the team cuts down on penalties….

The same things historically hold us back every year and it won't be any different this year if we don't make the playoffs or go one and done.

Sure we lost some players but they weren't living up to their contracts and seemed disgruntled That I don't believe is our problem.

Dak is healthy with a full off-season program to work on his craft Zeke may have lost a step but is at least healthy to start the season.
Turpin I believe is the x Factor he gives us a return game and an explosive player that can break the game open at any time.
This is definitely an addition that I think will pay dividends.

Our defense looks even better. Looks like we could stop the run a little better this year healthy group of stud linebackers some serious pass rushers and of course our all world player Micah Parsons.

But our offensive line is a huge question mark and could have been attended to much better in free agency to get us over the top but our front office let us down there as usual.

35 penalties in three games doesn't look like our coaching staff has the penalty situation under control either so our coaching staff is continuing to let us down these two things have been our Achilles heel for years The front office and the coaching staff until we get top five in both those categories one and done is our ceiling

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

Bob, as a mod can you please fix it so I can ignore you? You have so many doubts about this team, I don't know how you can honestly call yourself a fan. You're just a critic at this point. Your negativity is bringing me down post after post. It's bad for my mental health. I can't ignore you on my own, I need the feature that I use to ignore all the other Debbie downers on CZ. Please have some mercy and allow me to ignore you.

75boyz

Reaction score
Patterns of behavior are hard to break.
To include Owner/GMs, Coaches and players.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Bob, as a mod can you please fix it so I can ignore you? You have so many doubts about this team, I don't know how you can honestly call yourself a fan. You're just a critic at this point. Your negativity is bringing me down post after post. It's bad for my mental health. I can't ignore you on my own, I need the feature that I use to ignore all the other Debbie downers on CZ. Please have some mercy and allow me to ignore you.

Holy spit dude what a drama queen you are.

How about just don't read his posts oh I forgot you don't read them through anyway or you would have seen at the end it was very positive.