CFZ Overcoming injuries has been big this season

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The Anthony Brown season-ending injury got me to thinking about how well we've done at overcoming injuries this season. Usually, it seems like losing any starter for any period of time derails our season.

This year, we started off without our starting All-Pro left tackle and our projected No. 2 and No. 3 receivers. We had to go five games without our starting quarterback. Our starting running back has missed games. Our starting tight end has missed games. Our starting left guard also has missed some time. And there's probably a few that I'm forgetting.

And that's just the offense. On defense, we're now missing our No. 2 and No. 3 corners (and we'll see how we handle that). But we've also had to do without our third linebacker (Barr) and one of our best players on defense last year (safety Jayron Kearse) for periods of time. Various other players have missed a game here and there.

We even lost our veteran long snapper for the season and haven't really missed a beat there. I'm not sure our depth and ability to replace players has been this good since the 1990s.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
It really has, but having good depth has not been mentioned enough. We're about to keep guess fresher instead of relying on certain guys all game long

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The Anthony Brown season-ending injury got me to thinking about how well we've done at overcoming injuries this season. Usually, it seems like losing any starter for any period of time derails our season.

This year, we started off without our starting All-Pro left tackle and our projected No. 2 and No. 3 receivers. We had to go five games without our starting quarterback. Our starting running back has missed games. Our starting tight end has missed games. Our starting left guard also has missed some time. And there's probably a few that I'm forgetting.

And that's just the offense. On defense, we're now missing our No. 2 and No. 3 corners (and we'll see how we handle that). But we've also had to do without our third linebacker (Barr) and one of our best players on defense last year (safety Jayron Kearse) for periods of time. Various other players have missed a game here and there.

We even lost our veteran long snapper for the season and haven't really missed a beat there. I'm not sure our depth and ability to replace players has been this good since the 1990s.
Yep, getting 4 wins in 5 games with a backup QB is almost unbelievable!!!

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yeah, this team is a bit deeper than in the past, but health is always part of the equation.

Look at the Rams this year. They are playing with guys off the street at several positions.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Big Mike said he needed 77 guys to win his SB. Half that team was on IR at some point or another.

If there’s anything he’s had experience with it’s this. It was one of Garrett’s biggest weaknesses.

Obviously, some injuries are tougher to overcome than others. Although you'd think losing your starting QB would be one of the toughest.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Yeah, this team is a bit deeper than in the past, but health is always part of the equation.

Look at the Rams this year. They are playing with guys off the street at several positions.

It definitely is a big part of the equation. It's just that usually with these kinds of injuries (any one of them) we'd be done. We've done well both in finding young depth and adding some veteran depth (Peters, Overton, Hankins).

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Big Mike said he needed 77 guys to win his SB. Half that team was on IR at some point or another.

If there’s anything he’s had experience with it’s this. It was one of Garrett’s biggest weaknesses.
One of McCarthy’s biggest strengths is his ability to get his teams ready to play well with or without starters. The polar opposite of Garrett, who couldn’t even manage having a LT miss a game.

gimmesix

Reaction score
One of McCarthy’s biggest strengths is his ability to get his teams ready to play well with or without starters. The polar opposite of Garrett, who couldn’t even manage having a LT miss a game.

I think Quinn has been even better at plug and play. His defense doesn't seem to miss a beat no matter who he puts in there. Obviously, though, he hasn't had to do it without his best players. But it says a lot when you can plug in a late-round rookie and he's making plays.

gimmesix

Reaction score
It's every team every season!

Most definitely as far as who succeeds. My point is that we usually come up small in that department. Lose a player and we're done. We've had healthier years than this one where we were derailed by injury.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Most definitely as far as who succeeds. My point is that we usually come up small in that department. Lose and player and we're done. We've had healthier years than this one where we were derailed by injury.
Last year was the healthiest I have ever seen a team. They had everyone ready to go and **** the bed against San Fran.

Proof

Reaction score
Obviously, some injuries are tougher to overcome than others. Although you'd think losing your starting QB would be one of the toughest.

it’s kind of crazy, but damn near with each injury we’ve discovered a gem or silver lining.

Lose Tyron and Tyler shows his LT chops
Dak goes down and Coop saves our season and cements himself as a very capable backup

Zeke gets hurt and Pollard proves he can carry the load and then some

Schulz misses time and we get to know our rookie duo

Lose Brown for the year and Bland gets two picks

Gallup out and Noah Brown shines.

crazy as hell entertaining year