Owner's pay the players 6 billion per year

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
The players only share in the TV revenue and ticket sales. Owners get 52%. Players 48%.

Stadium sponsorship, parking, concessions , merchandise , etc is all for the owners.

This is one of the reasons the Cowboys are routinely ranked as the world’s most valuable franchise. They crush every other team in average home attendance. In 2019 they averaged almost 91,000 fans per game. The second best team, the Jets, averaged 78,500.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/attendance

The Cowboys are also a powerhouse when it comes to merchandise sales since they are by far the most visible team in the league, and the marquee franchise.

Flamma

Reaction score
Exactly. It's a percentage of revenue, thereby guaranteeing a profit to everyone.

The attempts around here to prove that Prescott will never get his money, and regret being greedy, and be run out of town out of cap necessity are getting quite creative.

Yeah, if they actually cut the cap to 130 million. I don't know why 120 million is thrown around.

GenoT

Reaction score
I hope mods will let this stay in fan zone for 24 hours.

So they are not that greedy.
32 teams each with 200 mil cap this year, so 32x200 mil is 6.4 billion dollars!
I knocked off the 400 mill for unused cap.

On top of that consider team uniforms, jocks socks training equipment, training facility and maintenance of that.
Travel expenses every time team goes somewhere meals [some of these guys cant eat!]
Stadium maintenance , the electric and water bills for home games Stadium lights have to use a lot of juice,
and 90,000 people using RR use a lot of water.

Owners have a lot of expenses that people rarely think about.

Now Jake posted that the coming season tv rights will generate over 5 billion, which is great,
but that doesnt even cover the cap of 6.4 billion. So owners dont profit on that at all. That just helps
pay the players.

So the owners make most of their profit from home games, 90,000 seats on avg , and the concessions
they get too.
those of u who actually have gone to games recently could figure up and post what you think
they pull in per game
I just guessed at $50 per person , and x 90,000 = 4.5 mil per game,x 8 =36 mil per year
then add the sponsor money,= 50 mil per year?
That is a lot, but doesnt seem like much considering all the billions thrown around.

I think the teams worth, has to include the value of the stadium itself and practice facility and other things.

So this is why the owners really need to have fans at the games, because that is their main source
of income that can be profit.
This is also why they want another home game every year or two years,[with 17 games]
You seem to have left out the $5 billion+ per year (divided between owners and players, under the current CBA) that the NFL receives for the combined broadcast rights to their games.

khiladi

Reaction score
According to what I read, as far back as 2015, 50% of the revenue is actually from TV ad revenue. This is actually shared revenue, so even if one is mediocre, one still gets a portion of the pie. There is really no incentive for bad teams to get good. This structure is the same as the NBA.

But I also read it costs about 1 billion per year to run a team.

The Cowboys are the cream of the crop and don’t represent the rest of the NFL. Jerry actually worked a deal where Dallas takes the merchandising sales and whoever they license with the stadium, they keep the profits. The rest of the teams work on the shared revenue basis. And Dallas is always has two players in top five of jersey sales. Jerry is by far ahead of the game as far as owners are concerned, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there is sole resentment from other owners.

That’s why TAX PAYER money is so essential to stadiums. No owner can put up the cash necessary and the populaces at large are bring taken for a ride when none of the revenue is shared with the local cities. The idea stadiums create economic surplus has been proven false by many studies.

The NFL also doesn’t allow access to its books and this is one of the issues with the CP lawsuit for the flag and why it was supposedly settled if I recall correctly. The NFL didn’t want to open up its books.

A lot of the owners are probably highly leveraged. If the majority of the companies in the US, before this massive government intervention, were leveraged at a 47% ratio, the highest by far of anytime in history, higher than the Great Depression, what do you think about the owners?

Even the Kraft Group was losing money the last four years.

kumizi

Reaction score
Jerry Jones paid $140 million for the Dallas Cowboys. The Cowboys are now worth $5 billion.

The owners can take a small lose for a year or two compared to the monumental wealth they gain by being allowed to own an NFL team.

AbeBeta

Reaction score

On top of that consider team uniforms, jocks socks training equipment, training facility and maintenance of that.
Travel expenses every time team goes somewhere meals [some of these guys cant eat!]
Stadium maintenance , the electric and water bills for home games Stadium lights have to use a lot of juice,

Now Jake posted that the coming season tv rights will generate over 5 billion, which is great,
but that doesnt even cover the cap of 6.4 billion. So owners dont profit on that at all. That just helps
pay the players.

So the owners make most of their profit from home games, 90,000 seats on avg , and the concessions
they get too.
those of u who actually have gone to games recently could figure up and post what you think
they pull in per game
I just guessed at $50 per person , and x 90,000 = 4.5 mil per game,x 8 =36 mil per year
That is a lot, but doesnt seem like much considering all the billions thrown around.

I think the teams worth, has to include the value of the stadium itself and practice facility and other things.

So this is why the owners really need to have fans at the games, because that is their main source
This is also why they want another home game every year or two years,[with 17 games]

The already mega rich owners "need" to be able to make a profit?

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score

pay the players.

they get too.
they pull in per game

50 bucks a person? Hahahaha!

blueblood70

Reaction score
that sounds about right, around 200 mil.
Would you agree then that if no fans, but they had the games they would then go into the hole? and about how much ?
more televised games and improvised streaming showing games with even more ads etc et..they will find way to make up for a short term shortfall as many do with stocks etc.. the NFL knows how to make money..

NFL Network for one need to lower their demands for using their app on streaming services because its almost been dropped by every major TV and streaming provider..they want more money and keep fans attention, compromise on price..

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Owners need to put he player back in their place. I like Jerry's idea that salaries need to be capped at a percentage of the salary cap. No ONE Player should be able to take such a large amount. I would think the players union would favor that as the majority are NOT QB's.
This is ridiculous because costs are already controlled by having a salary cap. Team executives should be expected to manage the breakdown. The salary cap exists less because of player greed but more because the owners don't trust each other to spend responsibly.

Last edited:

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Guys like QB's should not be hoarding 20% of the entire salary cap. It should be spread around to other guys.
Once again, the owners already control this.. they have each other to blame. Its entirely in their control how much money players are paid in relation to the cap, not the players "hording" money. Players negotiate for more money because there is typically another owner willing to pay it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Once again, the owners already control this.. they have each other to blame. Its entirely in their control how much money players are paid in relation to the cap, not the players "hording" money. Players negotiate for more money because there is typically another owner willing to pay it.

Exactly how do other owners control each other?

conner01

Reaction score
Jerry's idea was to limit how much any one player can make. Yah, the players probably would never agree. But if they had any brains they would realize that by limiting what the QB makes, there is more money left over for the rest of them.
The the majority of players it would mean more money
But agents and QB’s wouldn’t like it

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Well you would have to define worships in relation to that.
Also there are many forms of greed, and different levels.
I think these billionaires, they like stacking money and the making of it , more than just having it.

I wouldn't mind "stacking" some money, but unfortunately I've never had that opportunity.

Rayman70

Reaction score

pay the players.

they get too.
they pull in per game

the NFL DIES A FULL DEATH IF WE HAVE NO FANS THIS YEAR AT GAMES. Trust me, THEY know it and are panicked. Its the tail that wags the dog these days in the NFL...EXCEPT THEY,THE PLAYERS forgot about what drives the salaries, THE FANS! No fans means a salary cap reset and reduction. It means massive pay cuts in 2021. THE FANS MATTER. We are the life blood of the league. NO FANS MEANS, NO TICKET SALES, NO MERCH SALES, NO CONCESSIONS. NO PARKING LOTS GETTING FILLED. I could keep going..but you get the idea. I didnt even touch on ramifications of Fantasy football...The losses will be massive.

Status
Not open for further replies.