Owner's pay the players 6 billion per year

Status
Not open for further replies.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Need more protections. Players shouldn't be making 20 to 40 million per year to throw a pig skins and run around.

Maybe the NFL and players union should agree to give 20% of all revenues to help certain causes.
The NFL is a very charitable entity.

I’m not sure why we hold such resentment for Athletes?

We don’t appear to have as much issue for a lead actor to make 25-30 million a film. Or an artist to make 50-100 million on a tour.

Players should not make that much, seats to watch a game should not cost that much, my cable bill should not be so high either. Products should not cost as much as they do but TV ad money inflates the cost of items. It is just what the market will bear.

It's all a trickle up that fans and citizens pay and then a trickle down in jobs and opportunities it provides. It is just simple Capitalism that brings a huge profit to the owners who put up the risk. I really don't care how it is divided among the owners and the players but the only "seat" I am paying for is SRO - I won't invest more than that - I would rather watch from my couch anyway.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Players should not make that much, seats to watch a game should not cost that much, my cable bill should not be so high either. Products should not cost as much as they do but TV ad money inflates the cost of items. It is just what the market will bear.

It's all a trickle up that fans and citizens pay and then a trickle down in jobs and opportunities it provides. It is just simple Capitalism that brings a huge profit to the owners who put up the risk. I really don't care how it is divided among the owners and the players but the only "seat" I am paying for is SRO - I won't invest more than that - I would rather watch from my couch anyway.

I agree. Going to game these days is a lame experience. Bad food, over priced, people screaming everywhere. To have decent seats you are paying $800.

Owner AND players don't need to make all that money. How about donating 20% of net league profits to cleaning up pollution or making our schools more beautiful?

As opposed to paying some guy 40 million to run around a field.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
show me the numbers...waiting
What numbers? You’re the one making completely unfounded assertions: “it can’t go on,” etc. If you want to make that argument, then you need to back it up. The salary cap fixes salaries to a fraction of revenue, and yet you argue it’s unsustainable for some unspecified reason.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
For the record, I am totally for the owners because they are the teams. The teams will be there next year, 5 years from now, 20 years from now or until the team basically flatlines. I know this and I can depend on this. The days of being able to count on a player to be on your team for his entire career are long gone. The team will be there, the player will move on to a better deal as soon as opportunity presents itself in most cases. Why would I ever be Pro Player when that player might be wearing different colors in a years time? I don't understand that point of view.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
LOL
what is the combined worth of the owners?
how much money do the players make the owners?
what a simple-minded analysis.

Gee what is the combined worth of the owners of Home Depot, Lowes and Walmart and how much money do their employees make for them. The NFL isn't any different than any other business except most of their employees make millions of dollars but based on what they learned in college when they didn't graduate and quit to play football would be making 20K a year.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
ou want them to play by the 70's standards where they were abused and paid peanuts while the owners kept all the money?
Actually nfl owners and teams, struggled to make a profit back then, jerry told a story of how he almost bought the SD chargers for 3 million back in early 70's.
( if only he had lol) he got the loan for the whole 3 mil, but his dad told him to figure out how he was going to make the loan payments lol.
Then once he looked at the incoming revenue , and costs , he decided to back out of the deal.
The chargers were up for sale, because the team was losing money.
6 months after that they got new TV contracts which made the teams more profitable.
So if jerry had known that he would just have had to stay afloat for a few months, and he would have made it.

The players back then were paid pretty good compared to avg workers. and it was all teams could afford to pay them.
Now days, the players are paid extremely well.Compared to avg worker.
I dont know what your referring to on the abuse.

Owners are no different than corporations, today. They want all the profits for themselves, and screw the workers. Pay them as little as possible.

As far as the injuries , the players should know that coming into the nfl. Same thing though for college and even HS.
It is a tough sport, and even if someone told them the injuries would affect them later in life they would just ignore that.

And if you read the whole thread you would know owners today dont make billions per year in profit, profit is 100-200 mil a year for each owner.
Most of them have other businesses or investments where they make the rest of their income.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Gee what is the combined worth of the owners of Home Depot, Lowes and Walmart and how much money do their employees make for them. The NFL isn't any different than any other business except most of their employees make millions of dollars but based on what they learned in college when they didn't graduate and quit to play football would be making 20K a year.
Exactly, Walmart was the worst for a long time, billions in profit, but they only pay min wage, and they dont take care of the employees at all.
When some of their butchers tried to form a union, they fired all of the butchers in every story and went to factory meat which has a special gas
in many of the pkgs to keep the meat red lol.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Actually nfl owners and teams, struggled to make a profit back then, jerry told a story of how he almost bought the SD chargers for 3 million back in early 70's.
( if only he had lol) he got the loan for the whole 3 mil, but his dad told him to figure out how he was going to make the loan payments lol.
Then once he looked at the incoming revenue , and costs , he decided to back out of the deal.
The chargers were up for sale, because the team was losing money.
6 months after that they got new TV contracts which made the teams more profitable.
So if jerry had known that he would just have had to stay afloat for a few months, and he would have made it.

The players back then were paid pretty good compared to avg workers. and it was all teams could afford to pay them.
Now days, the players are paid extremely well.Compared to avg worker.
I dont know what your referring to on the abuse.

Owners are no different than corporations, today. They want all the profits for themselves, and screw the workers. Pay them as little as possible.

As far as the injuries , the players should know that coming into the nfl. Same thing though for college and even HS.
It is a tough sport, and even if someone told them the injuries would affect them later in life they would just ignore that.

And if you read the whole thread you would know owners today dont make billions per year in profit, profit is 100-200 mil a year for each owner.
Most of them have other businesses or investments where they make the rest of their income.

In almost all businesses including the NFL the biggest cost is the employee costs. Trying to compare the 1970's NFL to today's NFL is ridiculous. Back then there was no cap but there also wasn't any free agency either. The TV revenue was just a extremely tiny sliver of what it is today and very little NFL merchandise. There were tickets in many stadiums starting at $6.00 for end zone seats. The big stars no longer had to have off season jobs but the players at the end of the pay scale still had off season jobs. There was no minimum pay like there is today so there were bench players that made little and had to have off season jobs if they were married and had kids.

There are so many things that most people don't think of that the owners have to pay for and I doubt any of us know for sure what an NFL owner's net profit is, but I seriously doubt it's in the 100-200 mil range. AT&T Stadium cost 1.3 billion to build and the city of Arlington put up only 325 mil so that means Jones put up the other 975 mil. I seriously doubt he had that in liquid funds so he got a loan and has to pay that load plus interest every year. Then there is the practice facility in Frisco that cost another 1.5 billion dollars and the city of Frisco kicked in 90 mil and Jones did the rest. For Jones after all the expenses the Cowboys have to pay it's probably closer to $40-$50 mil a year net profit. You're right, just about all other team owners have other businesses and/or investments for the rest of their income. Just a side note it was back in the early 90's when Art Model owned the Cleveland Browns and that was all he owned and after he moved the original Browns to Baltimore in 1995 and had to change the name to the Ravens and with the City of Baltimore paying for 90% of the stadium Model had to sell the team and even doing that he still had to file bankruptcy.because he was so far in debt from mismanaging the team.

JReed1000

Reaction score
Wow....that’s just ....nevermind

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You seem to have left out the $5 billion+ per year (divided between owners and players, under the current CBA) that the NFL receives for the combined broadcast rights to their games.
Now Jake posted that the coming season tv rights will generate over 5 billion,.......this was in the post u quoted .

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Jerry Jones paid $140 million for the Dallas Cowboys. The Cowboys are now worth $5 billion.

The owners can take a small lose for a year or two compared to the monumental wealth they gain by being allowed to own an NFL team.
a big chunk of that worth is from the stadium itself, and the star in frisco.
Jerry doesnt have 5 billion in a bank in cash.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Let me get this straight....

Prescott didnt sign because his agent thinks theres billions coming into the revenue stream in the near future, yet all of this is the case at the same time?
yes , and why I said it wasnt smart and he will regret it later on.
I dont think dak saw the big picture, and did not take or even pay attention to what is going on.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
For the record, I am totally for the owners because they are the teams. The teams will be there next year, 5 years from now, 20 years from now or until the team basically flatlines. I know this and I can depend on this. The days of being able to count on a player to be on your team for his entire career are long gone. The team will be there, the player will move on to a better deal as soon as opportunity presents itself in most cases. Why would I ever be Pro Player when that player might be wearing different colors in a years time? I don't understand that point of view.
There’s two different arguments. One is you are a fan of the franchise first. Players are all moving parts coming and going. Regardless the players are a fan of the franchise.

But I’d define being “ pro player” as siding with the NFLPA over the owners.

In the situation of Dak and the Cowboys they both are attempting to make the best deals for themselves. We really should try to leave the business side out of our emotions. I’m more focused on what the effects can be if we don’t sign him.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Big difference between wanting to earn a decent living and insisting on making more money than most neighborhoods spend in a lifetime.

One reason people want raises is for something commensurate to what peers in the industry get. That applies to football as well. Is it somehow evil that the amounts are gastronomical in a market economy where the industry itself is immensely successful?

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Seats don’t cost that much everywhere just in Dallas. That’s a Jerry problem not the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.