Owner's pay the players 6 billion per year

Status
Not open for further replies.

conner01

Reaction score
You're wrong. NFL merchandise is also part of the cap formula. In fact it's because of the merchandise that the NFL doesn't know the exact amount of what the cap will be until after the 1st week in March. Merchandise sales are for the league year that doesn't end until the first couple days of March. Until they know what that is they can't come up with an exact cap number. If merchandise wasn't part of it they would know already after the Super Bowl what all the live gates would be and they would already know what the coming year's TV contract money will be, but they say they have to wait until after the 1st week in March.
Merchandise sales and licensing is included in national revenue and makes up the cap
Local revenue is not and that’s big money too
The packers are a small market team but the only one we really get numbers from and in 2018 they made 200 million in local revenue
Jerry easily makes a billion in local revenue

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Published by Christina Gough, May 25, 2020

“The Atlanta Falcons had the highest average annual player salary in the 2019/20 season – each of their players took home an average of 4.71 million U.S. dollars. In comparison, the team with the lowest wage bill, the Miami Dolphins with an average annual revenue of 2.05 million U.S. dollars per player in 2019/20 . The New England Patriots, who have dominated the NFL in recent years, had a surprisingly average wage bill coming in at an average of 3.21 million U.S. dollars per player, 16th on the list.”

There’s only a very small segment of players over paid . About 80% of the league makes about 1 million or less and why the leagues averages are around 3 million a player. Too many fans only want to bash the guys who are at the top but most of the league is around the bottom. Which means professional players aren’t over paid. Only the Stars.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Seats don't cost the same in every stadium but seats are not cheap anywhere and that's not just a Jerry problem.
Define cheap. Let’s put it in perspective.

Are they cheaper than going to a concert ? How about a Big 5 conference football game ?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
One reason people want raises is for something commensurate to what peers in the industry get. That applies to football as well. Is it somehow evil that the amounts are gastronomical in a market economy where the industry itself is immensely successful?
I didn't say it's evil. I implied that it's greedy. I don't equate greed with evil, but it's a characteristic I don't like in people. Wanting what you deserve is one thing, especially on a smaller scale, but insisting on an exorbitant amount, which is far more than necessary to live comfortably for the rest of your life is greedy.

I don't think it makes someone a bad person. I just think it's a character flaw.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Seats don’t cost that much everywhere just in Dallas. That’s a Jerry problem not the NFL.
I am not sure what other places cost. I looked at some Cowboy away games closer to me and you can't touch the SRO $50 price anywhere. Especially for a Cowboy game. I did the SRO about 8 years ago and enjoyed it. I actually had upper level seats and chose to stand in the SRO. I though it was a great view. Actually one of the better views I have had going to a game . I never pay high dollar - always upper level.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
These select few of athletes have made tremendous sacrifices In their lives and on their bodies to place them in this position to play professional sports.

Remember only about 10% of Amateur athletes are able to turn pro. It’s a very select few.

I seriously doubt many fans who are complaining were willing to make the sacrifices over their young lifetime to have an opportunity to participate at this level.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I am not sure what other places cost. I looked at some Cowboy away games closer to me and you can't touch the SRO $50 price anywhere. Especially for a Cowboy game. I did the SRO about 8 years ago and enjoyed it. I actually had upper level seats and chose to stand in the SRO. I though it was a great view. Actually one of the better views I have had going to a game . I never pay high dollar - always upper level.
I attended a Cowboy game in Houston a few years ago for $77 a ticket. Less than the $125 I spent at my last Baylor/ TCU game.

Remember the Cowboys are also the only NFL team that had a Party Pass for only about $30-40 which allows access with standing room only at both ends of the stadium.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Published by Christina Gough, May 25, 2020

“The Atlanta Falcons had the highest average annual player salary in the 2019/20 season – each of their players took home an average of 4.71 million U.S. dollars. In comparison, the team with the lowest wage bill, the Miami Dolphins with an average annual revenue of 2.05 million U.S. dollars per player in 2019/20 . The New England Patriots, who have dominated the NFL in recent years, had a surprisingly average wage bill coming in at an average of 3.21 million U.S. dollars per player, 16th on the list.”

There’s only a very small segment of players over paid . About 80% of the league makes about 1 million or less and why the leagues averages are around 3 million a player. Too many fans only want to bash the guys who are at the top but most of the league is around the bottom. Which means professional players aren’t over paid. Only the Stars.
I would say most starters are set for life if they got a 2nd contract after their rookie deal. The others, with and average NFL career of 3.3 years - they are going to have to find another profession because they are not making it on what they made in their career. Even the above average ones who are not starters or a big rookie deal would have to really be able to do a great job with financial planning to make it.

Got this from an ESPN article:

"The average NFL career lasts 3.3 years, according to the NFL Players' Association; 78 percent of players go broke within three years of retirement and 15.7 percent file for bankruptcy within 12 years of leaving the league, according to a paper published by the National Bureau of Economic Research.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Good luck with that. Money is an emotional thing. Usually on the negative side when another stranger has more. Lol.
In many cases it’s has a lot to do with the poor choices they’ve made .

If they’d of applied themselves throughout their childhood and school to maximize their abilities and talents either thru academics , athletics or the arts most would likely be earning significantly more.

But you can’t loaf off and try to skate by not applying yourself then later complain why you’re a bottom feeder. Well you can, but nobody cares.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I would say most starters are set for life if they got a 2nd contract after their rookie deal. The others, with and average NFL career of 3.3 years - they are going to have to find another profession because they are not making it on what they made in their career. Even the above average ones who are not starters or a big rookie deal would have to really be able to do a great job with financial planning to make it.

Got this from an ESPN article:

"The average NFL career lasts 3.3 years, according to the NFL Players' Association; 78 percent of players go broke within three years of retirement and 15.7 percent file for bankruptcy within 12 years of leaving the league, according to a paper published by the National Bureau of Economic Research.
Ive seen those numbers. It supports my message of professional sports only pays these huge salaries to a small segment of stars. Most aren’t in the league long not earning enough to set themselves up for life. And when it ends abruptly they don’t have a Plan B.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Seats don’t cost that much everywhere just in Dallas. That’s a Jerry problem not the NFL.
That's simply not true.

Cowboys tickets are above average in price but not extreme.

Extreme would be Patriot or Bears tickets.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I didn't say it's evil. I implied that it's greedy. I don't equate greed with evil, but it's a characteristic I don't like in people. Wanting what you deserve is one thing, especially on a smaller scale, but insisting on an exorbitant amount, which is far more than necessary to live comfortably for the rest of your life is greedy.

I don't think it makes someone a bad person. I just think it's a character flaw.

A whole lot of people insist on gaining what's more than necessary to live comfortably for the rest of their lives. And people have others they wish to account for as well. Not to mention no two people have the same idea on what emergency reserves should look like for them. I don't see any flaws there unless they're holding a gun to someone's head to make them pay what they want. If it's freely agreed to then more power to 'em from where I sit. The opposite sounds like the S word we're not supposed to mention here.

Status
Not open for further replies.