Owners to vote on resolution to incentivize minority HC, GM hires

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
When 70% of the players are black, 16% of the GMs are black, and 6% of the head coaches are black, you're going to get criticism. That's just a fact of life in the 21st century.

The Rooney Rule and this resolution aren't the answer. The former just leads to token interviews while the latter is an even worse idea, basically bribing teams to hire people.

In time these numbers will change simply because of the league demographics and long-time white coaches heading into retirement. It's just not going to happen quickly.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
When 70% of the players are black, 16% of the GMs are black, and 6% of the head coaches are black, you're going to get criticism. That's just a fact of life in the 21st century.

The Rooney Rule and this resolution aren't the answer. The former just leads to token interviews while the latter is an even worse idea, basically bribing teams to hire people.

In time these numbers will change simply because of the league demographics and long-time white coaches heading into retirement. It's just not going to happen quickly.

:huh:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Total nonsense, you don't try to create opportunities for some but taking them away from others.

The fact it is based on race, should not even be legal. #Discrimination

I would say more but don't want to get benched.

White coaches are hurting for opportunities?

They've made it the rule to interview more coaches who are people of color. How exactly does that hurt anyone? There is no limit on how many people teams can interview.

AbeBeta

Reaction score

Long time White coaches? There's what, like 8 or 9 in the league. That's not the issue.

Of 15 or more recent hires, among 1st time coaches there were like two or three people of color hired. Plenty of positions but for some reason new spots keep going elsewhere. Good lord, unsuccessful college coaches? QB coaches who never even served as a coordinator? A person of color with those credentials ain't getting anywhere near an interview.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score

They've made it the rule to interview more coaches who are people of color. How exactly does that hurt anyone? There is no limit on how many people teams can interview.

White coaches must get permission from their team to take a coordinator job, but other coaches won't have to? Tell me how that doesn't hurt them.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
White coaches must get permission from their team to take a coordinator job, but other coaches won't have to? Tell me how that doesn't hurt them.

Not true.

"Clubs will no longer be permitted to deny interview requests for assistant coaches and secondary members of the front office for coordinator and senior level front office promotions."

Kevinicus

Reaction score

Someone didn't read the story.

Also, I love the *evil* argument of..."stop doing this [perceived] bad thing to this group. Instead, do that bad thing to that group."

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Someone didn't read the story.

Also, I love the *evil* argument of..."stop doing this [perceived] bad thing to this group. Instead, do that bad thing to that group."

Yes. And that would be you. I've read numerous stories on this and none say you can block non-minority coaches from coordinator interviews.

Hoofbite

Reaction score

Isn't that the entire point of these rules? There's a clear discrepancy in representation and allowing it to play itself out hasn't worked, and may not ever work?

How can you acknowledge that something isn't right, and suggest that we shouldn't try to find an answer by throwing out the idea of just being patient?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Yes. And that would be you. I've read numerous stories on this and none say you can block non-minority coaches from coordinator interviews.

giphy.gif

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
The topic of the discrepancy between the percentage of minority players and coaches is a fascinating one to me.

Whether it was Wade Wilson as the QB coach, or later Jason Garrett as the HC, we constantly heard refrains like "being good enough to play in the NFL doesn't qualify you to be a coach", and how "there isn't a relationship between the skills needed to play the game at a high level and the skills needed to coach the game at a high level".

If we're taking these themes at face value, shouldn't the percentage of of minority players in the league be irrelevant when discussing their representation in the coaching ranks?

It would seem to me that either we're saying playing in the NFL is a prerequisite to be a successful coach or it's not. A quick look at the list of all-time coaching wins would suggest the latter.

If anything pointing out the discrepancy between minority group representation relative to their percentage of the population would like resonate with more people, and perhaps build momentum needed to make improvements in this area.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
What happened to the best candidate gets the job? I don't give a rats butt if they're green and pink - if they can coach and manager players, then give them the job.
Because "just give it to the best candidate" has already proven to not work. How long to keep doing that and just hoping it gets better? This may not be a perfect solution but it at least is a step and it makes people uncomfortable. History is littered with examples of change only happening when the individuals in power are made uncomfortable.

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't see how this isn't embarrassing to a coach. Hire me and your team gets a handicap.