Pack Cuts Sternberger. Should Dallas Pick Him Up?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Ok, you just keep liking him and I'll keep disliking what I've seen, so far. He'll either be retained by the Pack or someone else might claim him. I'm hoping if it's us, we won't be sorry. I still don't have to approve of him just because you do, though. That's my prerogative, I believe. No hard feelings. ;)
The problem wasn't that you didn't like him. The problem was you erroneously made stuff up.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Take a flyer on him… maybe a change of scenery is what he needs. Wouldn’t be the first player that needed to grow up some before reaching their potential

Oh and JJ has a soft spot for addicts and reclamation projects. Loves giving guys second chances

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Honestly I wouldn’t....schultz has done a really good job in my eyes. He’s not the athletic freak that a Kelce is or gronk used to be but he’s a solid player who doesn’t need to be those types in an offense with ceedee, amari, Gallup, zeke, pollard. He blocks decently and catch’s a 3&6 over the middle or wherever to move the chains.

jarwin can provide some of the stretching the field / seam stuff we need and between the 2 each makes up for what the other TE lacks.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Take a flyer on him… maybe a change of scenery is what he needs. Wouldn’t be the first player that needed to grow up some before reaching their potential

Oh and JJ has a soft spot for addicts and reclamation projects. Loves giving guys second chances
Just watched some highlights of him . . . I can't say which tight end he reminds me of. . . . Maybe its the unis but he looks like a larger Jordy Nelson

jrumann59

Reaction score
Yeah Mercedes Lewis in 2021.....I don't know if I'd cut my 3rd round pick over him but it seems to be some other issues going on.
I dont know if I would cut a 3rd rounder for him 5 years ago.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Honestly I wouldn’t....schultz has done a really good job in my eyes. He’s not the athletic freak that a Kelce is or gronk used to be but he’s a solid player who doesn’t need to be those types in an offense with ceedee, amari, Gallup, zeke, pollard. He blocks decently and catch’s a 3&6 over the middle or wherever to move the chains.

jarwin can provide some of the stretching the field / seam stuff we need and between the 2 each makes up for what the other TE lacks.
to tell you the truth with the WR the teams have you dont need a stretch the field TE. you have guy that catch it between 5-10 yds of LOS it will keep the LB short in their drops and give the WR more room in between the LB and S.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
He’s a physically talented guy who many thought he would have been a first round pick if he had gone back to A&M for another season.

I don’t know a lot about him… any A&M fans here with a take on him?
Why????????????? The Boys have to pretty dam good TE's right now, no reason to add another TE at this time.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Why????????????? The Boys have to pretty dam good TE's right now, no reason to add another TE at this time.
Because He just became available . . . that's why . . . and last year we only had 1 Good TE because of injury

No drawback at all

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I mean, that’s a legit question you have, and you’re right, Dallas is pretty good at TE. I really do like Shultz and McKeon.

What I was wondering was if Sternberger is that great of an athlete, should Dallas maybe take a low cost / high-upside look at him.

However, I’m all but positive that the team will look at it similar to the way you are and not mess with him. Besides, once I heard that he has some substance abuse issues, my interest in him diminished considerably.

So, I don’t really disagree with you man.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I wanted to draft him especially where he was drafted but we didn’t 2 drafts ago.

I would definitely look at him.

He was super productive in College for the opportunities he got and was a weapon in the red zone.

NotForLong

Reaction score
I wanted to draft him especially where he was drafted but we didn’t 2 drafts ago.

I would definitely look at him.

He was super productive in College for the opportunities he got and was a weapon in the red zone.
This is why I want to take a look at Him. . . Cowboys need. Red Zone Target

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The problem wasn't that you didn't like him. The problem was you erroneously made stuff up.

You just can't see fit to let bygones be bygones, can you . . . you're simply proving yourself to be a pain in the arse. Just let it go, Leticia!

On the contrary -- I don't see anything to feel he's anything worthy of our attention. We'll have McKeon returning soon, who has promise!

All I've done here is to state my innermost concerns in great detail, while you pine over the idea of getting someone in house who's a flop.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s a physically talented guy who many thought he would have been a first round pick if he had gone back to A&M for another season.

I don’t know a lot about him… any A&M fans here with a take on him?

He a Jarwin type TE (i.e. More like a big WR than a true TE); although, he was a better college player than Jarwin.

College DBs struggled to cover him and struggled to tackle him.

He appeared to be a very good route runner in college and appeared much faster/quicker than his 4.75 forty.

The Packers don't tend to tolerate behavioral issues other than from Aaron Rodgers...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah Mercedes Lewis in 2021.....I don't know if I'd cut my 3rd round pick over him but it seems to be some other issues going on.
  • Mercedes Lewis is still a good blocker.
  • He averages playing over 40% of snaps this year and the past 2 years with GB.
  • He started 15 games last season.
  • Of his 10 catches last season, 3 were TDs.
  • His 1 catch this season is a TD.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he pasts thru waivers can we stash him on practice squad ?
If it has to be 53 active, who do we have to cut to place him there .. or should we ?

i figure Jeremy Sprinkle is destined to go when McKeon is healthy and due back.

The Cowboys are 10th on the waiver claim priority list due to their record last season.
- This is only true until after this upcoming game.

After the 3rd game of the season, the priority list is based on current record.

Players claimed on waivers must be signed to the 53 man roster.
- It is now much easier to find spots on the roster due to the new short-term IR rules.

Sprinkle in on the practice squad, not on the 53.

quickccc

Reaction score

My ultimate aim as an upgrade for a more complete overall TE.
Because of what both provide, TE role itself isn't a pressing one, but we still don't have the complete player in either one

- Jarwin is a move TE with the ability to deep middle seam and get vertical. - but his in blocking is still below average
after his 3 years in the NFL. And we saw it can cost us/limit us per that horrid effort that allow zeke to be denied
an easy TD vs Bucs. Soft finesse player.

- Shultz has more grittiness and toughness to him than Jarwin, imo, but he's somewhat limited in physical ability
such as one one separation and cannot threaten the vertical deep seams that Jarwin can.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Because of what both provide, TE role itself isn't a pressing one, but we still don't have the complete player in either one

- Jarwin is a move TE with the ability to deep middle seam and get vertical. - but his in blocking is still below average
after his 3 years in the NFL. And we saw it can cost us/limit us per that horrid effort that allow zeke to be denied

- Shultz has more grittiness and toughness to him than Jarwin, imo, but he's somewhat limited in physical ability
such as one one separation and cannot threaten the vertical deep seams that Jarwin can.

yeah I think you make good points and are correct on your evaluation. I guess my point is that on list of things I think we could add to this team that are somewhat realistic- tight end for me personally isn’t as high on that list.

jrumann59

Reaction score

Jarwin got paid based off his performance in one game against the giants. He is my Jaylon Smith of the offense TBH.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Sounds like a Cowboys special: talented player w/ substance abuse suspension... what's not to like.

Can't blame the guy really probably was boring beyond measure in GB, heck, the mall in Frisco would be exciting in comparison.