Twitter: Packers release former Pro Bowl DT Mike Daniels

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
if we were able to get Daniel i think crawford would strictly be slated at DE, and subbing and playing both DE sides.
i just think marinelli likes him too much and the club will choose to carry his salary for one more year in 2019.
Marinelli thinks that much of him as a player, he's always started him at some place on the DL, if we are ever to go to
a much better level, that has to change, imo.

We've got a boatload of DEs we like. At this point, Crawford makes sense in our DT rotation. We might actually keep him next year too when Collins leaves.

But given the hypothetical of signing Daniel, we end up with more 3 techs than we really need this year, so I'd expect us to move on from Crawford.

You're probably right that they like Crawford too much to move on from him, and he's currently still our best pass rushing DT.

Given that they want to keep him, and given that we'll be overloaded at 3T if we sign Daniel too, the hypothetical of signing Daniel is unlikely.

blueblood70

Reaction score
hes 30 9mil salary, and has has some injuries', reason for being released..why does every players released all of sudden better fit here..how about lets get into preseason games and see how our rookies and Fas play before we say a 30yrs old players looking for his last hurrah is a better fit..

Im interested in Seeing Hills progress not a guy who wants uit for big money with age and injuries'..most of the FA list all fit this category.. if what we have doesnt gel go after atrade at trade deadline given we are in the race at the time..

Carson

Reaction score
I'm interested in Boston and Daniels.
Let it known, 85% of this board wants Boston. Just isn’t going to happen.

He just visited the Giants and remained unsigned for some uncertain reason. Some red flag is there with this guy

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Shocking.

Yeah, continue to throw money down the Crawford well.

And then find some place to have to play him.

Oh, and then undermine the integrity and soundness of your scheme to try to find a way to free him up to get a sack.

:banghead:

Sydla

Reaction score

Shocking.

Free agents.............. BAD!

This franchise simply struggles at the basic concept of building quality competition and depth with FA and understanding there is value in older players sometimes.

Daniels sures up the DT position. He can play the 1T, he can play the 3T (his more natural position). Along with Collins, you now have two guys that can play either position and provides great depth to Hill (whom I am assuming will play most snaps at the 3T spot) and Woods. I like Crawford but Crawford is basically a tweener at either DE or DT. They don't really need Crawford at DE, especially if Gregory can find his way back and the addition of Hyder.

I just don't get why this team doesn't feast on opportunities like this.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Free agents.............. BAD!

This franchise simply struggles at the basic concept of building quality competition and depth with FA and understanding there is value in older players sometimes.

Daniels sures up the DT position. He can play the 1T, he can play the 3T (his more natural position). Along with Collins, you now have two guys that can play either position and provides great depth to Hill (whom I am assuming will play most snaps at the 3T spot) and Woods.

I just don't get why this team doesn't feast on opportunities like this.

It starts with having no respect for the 1T position. Apparently despite being run over and embarrassed en route to getting bounced out of the playoffs. It's certainly something I will not miss when Marinelli eventually goes.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Depending on his health (a definite concern and the No#1 issue) , there is no question he's far better than Crawford , who is also getting $9 million this season , BTW................Is TC really worth that type of money ?

Sydla

Reaction score
It starts with having no respect for the 1T position. Apparently despite being run over and embarrassed en route to getting bounced out of the playoffs. It's certainly something I will not miss when Marinelli eventually goes.

This is akin to the Eagles situation. They went out and upgraded the DT position when they moved on from Jernigan.................. and then brought him back as a backup later. Having one or two good DTs isn't enough for them, so they went out and brought Jernigan back and if healthy he's a really good backup DT to have.

We could have that same type of situation with Daniels. He's a swing guy between the two DT spots. He's also insurance if Hill struggles a bit as a rookie. It makes so much sense to kick the tires on this guy but this franchise is pig headed at times with how good they think their roster is.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is akin to the Eagles situation. They went out and upgraded the DT position when they moved on from Jernigan.................. and then brought him back as a backup later. Having one or two good DTs isn't enough for them, so they went out and brought Jernigan back and if healthy he's a really good backup DT to have.

We could have that same type of situation with Daniels. He's a swing guy between the two DT spots. He's also insurance if Hill struggles a bit as a rookie. It makes so much sense to kick the tires on this guy but this franchise is pig headed at times with how good they think their roster is.

And we slept on Jernigan too. While the Eagles get a former starter back on a cheap deal as a backup, while we sit on our hands. Defensive tackle is and has been a maddening aspect of Marinelli's influence on our defensive line. Run-stuffers are always minimized for "Rushmen" who, guess what? Never produce significant pass-rush numbers to justify it! It's never resulted in increased team sack numbers since Marinelli has been here.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Seriously doubt we'll be competing with what's been reported as 7 teams that have shown interest in Daniels. A bit too costly for our taste.

I'm guessing it's much the same scenario with regards to Tre Boston. If it's a player that's somewhat expensive, we're not likely in the mix.

Last edited:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's probably the same story with respect to S Tre Boston. If it's a player that's relatively expensive, we're not likely in the mix.

There is something else going on with Boston. The Giants already looked at him the other day and have apparently passed.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I mean between gerald mccoy and now passing on daniels I don't understand. We could cut ty craw and immediately have that $$ available. they are both better than ty craw and it isn't even close.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean between gerald mccoy and now passing on daniels I don't understand. We could cut ty craw and immediately have that $$ available. they are both better than ty craw and it isn't even close.

Both are established, Pro Bowl-caliber players who have established roles. If you signed either, you're not worrying about "where do we play him?" the way this team does with Crawford. I can't think of a team that overpays a role player as much as this one does.

quickccc

Reaction score
Let it known, 85% of this board wants Boston. Just isn’t going to happen.

He just visited the Giants and remained unsigned for some uncertain reason. Some red flag is there with this guy

yeh I can't figure out what is the love for Trey Boston. And the last couple of years it's been like this with him.
If he were such a stand out player, with coveted skill set, he would definitely be on some team's roster via free agency by now.
Maybe the guy (and his agent?) is just flat out-pricing himself ? But i'll bet that at sometime this summer, he'll finally bow out again and sign for the usual 1 year contract, ..,again.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
There is something else going on with Boston. The Giants already looked at him the other day and have apparently passed.

ESPN's Jordan Raanan said the Giants were likely doing due diligence and weren't prepared to pay starting money for him.

Last edited: