Twitter: Packers release former Pro Bowl DT Mike Daniels

quickccc

Reaction score
hes 30 9mil salary, and has has some injuries', reason for being released..why does every players released all of sudden better fit here..how about lets get into preseason games and see how our rookies and Fas play before we say a 30yrs old players looking for his last hurrah is a better fit..

Im interested in Seeing Hills progress not a guy who wants uit for big money with age and injuries'..most of the FA list all fit this category.. if what we have doesnt gel go after atrade at trade deadline given we are in the race at the time..

besides being 30 years old, Daniel is only listed as 291 pounds and that's not much bigger than Crawford. and we know that's why Crawford cannot be a full time starting 3 tech DT.
And as i'm hearing from Green Bay link posted, the Packers wanted more bulk and size among their DTs, which also tells me Daniels also may not have been a stout enough run stuffer as
some 3-4 schemes place a great emphasis on 2 gapping than slanting and getting up the field as a rusher.
Some undersized DTs may play bigger and stronger than their size suggests, but maybe that wasn't Daniel ? .

Frankly I wouldn't be interested in Daniel (who I would think wants to be a starter) if the Cowboys view him as only a 3 tech DT.
i'd only be interested if he could be a complimentary bookend 1 tech, if he was that strong enough run defender, if he's healthy and if he's cheap enough for rental 1 year deal.
So besides other elements, maybe the Cowboys don't see him as a 1 tech compliment along Hill, Collins

Because i'd want the bulk of reps and developing playing time committed to Trysten.
And if he gains reps and experience, and shows rapid progress maybe it's not totally out of the question that Hill could be starting at some point at 3 tech over Collins.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
besides being 30 years old, Daniel is only listed as 291 pounds and that's not much bigger than Crawford. and we know that's why Crawford cannot be a full time starting 3 tech DT.
And as i'm hearing from Green Bay link posted, the Packers wanted more bulk and size among their DTs, which also tells me Daniels also may not have been a stout enough run stuffer as
some 3-4 schemes place a great emphasis on 2 gapping than slanting and getting up the field as a rusher.
Some undersized DTs may play bigger and stronger than their size suggests, but maybe that wasn't Daniel ? .

Frankly I wouldn't be interested in Daniel (who I would think wants to be a starter) if the Cowboys view him as only a 3 tech DT.
i'd only be interested if he could be a complimentary bookend 1 tech, if he was that strong enough run defender, if he's healthy and if he's cheap enough for rental 1 year deal.
So besides other elements, maybe the Cowboys don't see him as a 1 tech compliment along Hill, Collins

Because i'd want the bulk of reps and developing playing time committed to Trysten.
And if he gains reps and experience, and shows rapid progress maybe it's not totally out of the question that Hill could be starting at some point at 3 tech over Collins.

I'd really like to know who the Cowboys DO see as that 1-tech compliment?

Is it strictly Woods coming off of injury (and reportedly slimmed down for some reason)?

Is it Covington (who claims to be down 30 pounds for some reason)?

If so, I'm not crazy about that "plan".

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
yeh I can't figure out what is the love for Trey Boston. And the last couple of years it's been like this with him.
If he were such a stand out player, with coveted skill set, he would definitely be on some team's roster via free agency by now.
Maybe the guy (and his agent?) is just flat out-pricing himself ? But i'll bet that at sometime this summer, he'll finally bow out again and sign for the usual 1 year contract, ..,again.
He has graded out as an above average safety but do a little research and you will see why teams dont want him. Has nothing to do with his play or asking $$

quickccc

Reaction score

Is it strictly Woods coming off of injury (and reportedly slimmed down for some reason)?

anyone that has the Marinelli ' quick twitch " and based more on movement than immovable bulk and power.
which I wouldn't mind if we had that quick- twitch movement guy if he proved consistent that he can occupy two blockers, and still split them
and change the way teams have to run against us. But it always seem like a revolving door at 1 tech with these so-so Band-Aid 1 tech guys.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
anyone that has the Marinelli ' quick twitch " and based more on movement than immovable bulk and power.
which I wouldn't mind if we had that quick- twitch movement guy if he proved consistent that he can occupy two blockers, and still split them
and change the way teams have to run against us. But it always seem like a revolving door at 1 tech with these so-so Band-Aid 1 tech guys.

And the trade off for pass rush has never materialized.

kskboys

Reaction score
He has graded out as an above average safety but do a little research and you will see why teams dont want him. Has nothing to do with his play or asking $$
I'm looking, but all I"m seeing is the claim of a soft S market.

kskboys

Reaction score
If you're going to go smallish at NT, he needs to be a fireplug, around 6-0/300. Teams have tried playing two lanky pass rushers at both DT's spots, and it's never worked. What Marinelli is missing is that if he wants smallish DT's, they absolutely must be extremely talented. I mean top 3ish.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Couple reasons possible that I saw: He's going to want too much. And his play has been inconsistent.

I think I'd need to see further details on "wanting too much" and "inconsistent play", specifically as it pertains to who we're currently paying, and the production we're getting.

I remember hearing the same claims when Gerald McCoy was available, and he signed a very reasonable contract with Carolina while we sat on our hands.

kskboys

Reaction score
Or, one team made Tre Boston an offer and he called it "disrespectful".

That sort of talk has driven teams away from players before. It sends the message that he'll want a maxed out contract. Any given team can only afford huge contracts on a small number of players. While Boston is definitely a good player, he doesn't appear to be even close to an Earl Thomas, Eddie Jackson, or Derwin James.

While the S position is ultra important, if you can't get one of the top 5 or 6, might as well make do w/ a decent one instead of having to pay a good player as if he's great.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think I'd need to see further details on "wanting too much" and "inconsistent play", specifically as it pertains to who we're currently paying, and the production we're getting.

I remember hearing the same claims when Gerald McCoy was available, and he signed a very reasonable contract with Carolina while we sat on our hands.
I was so POed about that. Why in the world don't we jump on one of these guys? Poe for 8 mil, Peko for 7.5 mil for 2 yrs, Logan 8 mil, Mebane for 13.5/3 yrs.

These guys are affordable. Why in the world don't we at least try?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was so POed about that. Why in the world don't we jump on one of these guys? Poe for 8 mil, Peko for 7.5 mil for 2 yrs, Logan 8 mil, Mebane for 13.5/3 yrs.

These guys are affordable. Why in the world don't we at least try?

I'm placing the blame for that at the feet of Rod Marinelli. He's firmly in charge of the defensive line and his "Rushmen". And his influence keeps guys like Nick Hayden around and gives us draft picks like Joey Ivie or trades for Jihad Ward, which suck.

Rayman70

Reaction score
who we cutting at DT if we sign him? You must think about that. We really don't have the cap room. Especially not with all the contracts we have pending.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
who we cutting at DT if we sign him? You must think about that. We really don't have the cap room. Especially not with all the contracts we have pending.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm cutting Crawford.

I already have plenty of actual defensive end options (plus a possible Gregory return), and I also have a flex guy on the cheap in Kerry Hyder. I'd rather use the money they're paying Crawford on a real defensive tackle.

Sydla

Reaction score

Shoot, who couldn't we cut? Start with Crawford. Or cut Covington. Daniel is better than either.

Sydla

Reaction score
Couple reasons possible that I saw: He's going to want too much. And his play has been inconsistent.

that first excuse gets floated all the time.......... "oh, he probably wants too much" and then in reality for many of these older vets, they end up signing fair team contracts.

Front office apologists couldn't wait to line up that excuse when McCoy hit the open market and the Cowboys had no interest. Oh, he's going to want too much so the Cowboys probably don't have interest. Then McCoy signs a one year deal.

Fredbeard

Reaction score

Sigh. Please shoot me now . Why are Covington and woods losing weight? What’s the logic in that?is Covington playing the three tech ?. That would put him at what 280.i guess
Rod didn’t see 280 pound Crawford getting pushed around during the rams game.i swear the pig headed arrogance of this coaching staff are is infuriating at times.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

So much for the talk that he wanted to play for a contender.