Pacman Decision?

Tra_Col99

Reaction score
Anyone heard if Judge Goodel has made a decision on Pacman yet? It was a 4 game suspension, right?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1:30 [Comment From Dave1]
Whats the Word on Pac-Man? Do you think he will be allowd to practice with the team this week?

1:31 Calvin Watkins: NFL will make a decision soon on Pacman Jones, maybe this week. Jerry Jones said he would welcome Pacman back with open arms. I think Pacman Jones' teammates are indifferent about the situation. Pacman is missing out on what the Cowboys are trying to accomplish here and that's make a playoff run.

1:39 [Comment From Big Al (Austin)]
What do you think the chances are of the Commissioner allowing Pacman to return?

1:39 Calvin Watkins: Doubtful.

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/archives/2008/11/cowboysredskins-postgame-chat.html

FCBarca

Reaction score
I suppose it all depends on how 'rehab' went for Pacman...It was a 4 game suspension so by those terms he's eligible to be considered otherwise they would've made it longer, non?

hendog

Reaction score
I think commish ding-dong described it as "at least a 4 game suspension".

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
The decision won't be made until at the earliest tomorrow. The NFL week isn't over yet.

FCBarca

Reaction score
I like this breakdown from Football Outsiders on the DBs.

1. Based on the available FO data, rank the Cowboys cornerbacks in order from best to worst this season.
Here are the stats, listed in order of passes thrown in the cornerbacks' direction:

Anthony Henry
31-of-45 (69 %), 392 yards, 8.7 ypa, 2 PBU, 0 INT, 2 pass interferences

Adam "Pacman" Jones

21-of-42 (50%), 216 yards, 5.1 ypa, 7 PBU, 0 INT, 1 pass interference

Mike Jenkins

22-of-33 (67%), 248 yards, 7.5 ypa, 2 PBU, 1 INT, 0 pass interference

Terence Newman

14-of-17 (82%), 175 yards, 10.3 ypa, 1 PBU, 0 INT, 0 pass interference

Orlando Scandrick
7-of-14 (50%), 85 yards, 6.1 ypa, 0 PBU, 0 INT, 0 pass interference

Alan Ball
2-of-3 (67%), 12 yards, 4.0 ypa, 0 PBU, 0 INT, 0 pass interference

The table above is compiled by the volunteers in our Game Charting Project, who break down every play of the NFL season to capture a myriad of things that aren't recorded in the NFL's official play-by-play. One of those things is to mark who is in coverage on a pass play. While marking who's in coverage is an inexact science without coaches' film, the charters are given specific instructions on what to look for. Note that the numbers above have plays where a defender was flagged for pass interference included as completions with yards added to the player's total.

Starting at the top, as much of a headache as he's been, we continue to see the Adam Jones that steps between the lines on Sunday as an elite corner. The opposition only completed 50% of passes to receivers when he was in coverage, and he allowed only 5.1 yards per attempt. He also had almost as many passes defensed (seven) as the rest of the team's corners combined (eight).

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Something tells me that Jones isn't getting back into the league this year and probably won't play another down for Dallas, ever.

Of course, in saying that, I realise that more than likely it's going to go just the opposite of how I feel on the Adam Jones subject.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
I believe it was "at least four games" but it was actually an indefinite suspension if I recall and is dependent on Jones completing his rehab. I don't think that has happened yet.

Frankly, I would be happy if they just banned him for life and we could move on without him. That actually would be the best thing for Adam Jones, not just for the team.

Life in the NFL is not conducive to living a sober lifestyle and requires an extraordinary degree of character to accomplish it. You travel a lot, stay away from home a lot, have free time at night, hang with a bunch of guys with enormous amounts of testosterone, and you have huge amounts of money at your disposal. You are competitive and combative, your career is likely to be short so you have a sense of daring that ignores the rules that apply to the average person.

If you talk with most former NFL players you find a high degree of addiction to alcohol, drugs, adrenaline, sex, etc. You also find a high number of guys who suffer from depression from no longer being in the game. They miss the camaraderie, the competition, the accolades, the adrenaline high, the hero worship, etc.

Not every great athlete belongs in professional sports. Many just don't have the mental makeup to handle all of the stuff that goes along with "playing the game". Jones is one of those who doesn't have it, the League would be doing him a favor if it banned him for life.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
THUMPER;2426172 said:
I believe it was "at least four games" but it was actually an indefinite suspension if I recall and is dependent on Jones completing his rehab. I don't think that has happened yet.

Frankly, I would be happy if they just banned him for life and we could move on without him. That actually would be the best thing for Adam Jones, not just for the team.

Life in the NFL is not conducive to living a sober lifestyle and requires an extraordinary degree of character to accomplish it. You travel a lot, stay away from home a lot, have free time at night, hang with a bunch of guys with enormous amounts of testosterone, and you have huge amounts of money at your disposal. You are competitive and combative, your career is likely to be short so you have a sense of daring that ignores the rules that apply to the average person.

If you talk with most former NFL players you find a high degree of addiction to alcohol, drugs, adrenaline, sex, etc. You also find a high number of guys who suffer from depression from no longer being in the game. They miss the camaraderie, the competition, the accolades, the adrenaline high, the hero worship, etc.

Not every great athlete belongs in professional sports. Many just don't have the mental makeup to handle all of the stuff that goes along with "playing the game". Jones is one of those who doesn't have it, the League would be doing him a favor if it banned him for life.

I think Godell is a tool and he has shown his bias clearly. He should no longer be allowed to be commissioner.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2426152 said:
Something tells me that Jones isn't getting back into the league this year and probably won't play another down for Dallas, ever.

Of course, in saying that, I realise that more than likely it's going to go just the opposite of how I feel on the Adam Jones subject.

I'm sure he is probably contemplating his post NFL career coaching in the Lingerie Football League.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
we just beat Goodells favorite team. pacman ain't getting reinstated this week.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the guy has complied with all that was asked of him, why wouldn't he be allowed to play?

Otherwise, why not simply ban him when the incident happened and be done with it?

The Commissioner said he would evaluate the situation after 4 weeks and make his decision then.

I don't see how he could ban Jones at this point when he hasn't done anything (else) wrong.

And the fact that Calvin 'Lucky-to-have-a-job' Watkins says it's doubtful makes me confident that he'll be reinstated.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
stasheroo;2426188 said:
If the guy has complied with all that was asked of him, why wouldn't he be allowed to play?

Otherwise, why not simply ban him when the incident happened and be done with it?

The Commissioner said he would evaluate the situation after 4 weeks and make his decision then.

I don't see how he could ban Jones at this point when he hasn't done anything (else) wrong.

And the fact that Calvin 'Lucky-to-have-a-job' Watkins says it's doubtful makes me confident that he'll be reinstated.

I wouldn't underestimate how much of a tool Goodell is and his willingness to make an explain of Pacman.....

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
I would only welcome him back as a punt returner...he can not be trusted or counted on for anything else. If he screws up again then we plug Crayton in...no real loss. I do not want him playing more then Jenkins or Scandrick...they WILL be here.

FCBarca

Reaction score
stasheroo;2426188 said:

That's pretty much my take exactly, as well...Yeah, Watkins does need to wear that dunce cap too

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
Goodell is a fool so who knows what will happen but if the suspension being lifted was based on how Pacman would cooperated with the league's mandates by behavior and getting into the alcohol abuse program then it appears Pacman has done what has been asked of him and hey just the fact that we have heard nothing from him the last month is a great sign!