Parnell to start this year?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Thank erod for posting this quote from Jerry in his conference call to season ticket holders.

erod;5074129 said:
1. Parnell is going to start at RT, and Free has the option to take a paycut to remain as the top backup or be released. That seemed to be Jerry's cryptic message.

We signed Parnell off of the Saints practice squad. He was more of a Basketball player in College. I believe he only played 1 year of football prior to the NFL.

I gotta say he looked solid against Pittsburgh last year but worried me a little more against 4 man fronts.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
He was a converted TE when he was on the Saints PS. I am not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I guess we will see how it pans out.

honyock

Reaction score
I'm all for this. I thought he showed enough in his four game audition late last year to be given the chance to start.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
honyock;5074186 said:
I'm all for this. I thought he showed enough in his four game audition late last year to be given the chance to start.

I'm with ya.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
So no Winston or Clabo?

So all we did to fix this abomination of an oline was to add a center we had a 2nd round grade on. Seriously, that's it.

Thanks Jerry:rolleyes:

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
Fine with me. A great OLine doesn't require a bunch of high picks, but rather cohesion, and Parnell had a ton of upside,

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;5074199 said:
So no Winston or Clabo?

So all we did to fix this abomination of an oline was to add a center we had a 2nd round grade on. Seriously, that's it.

Thanks Jerry:rolleyes:

I got a feeling they may still be in the mix ,but since they aren't on the roster yet, then this may be the current status of that situation.

tm1119

Reaction score
Really hope not. Jerry needs to open the checkbook and get either Clabo or Winston here. Just too much of a risk for me to go into the season with Parnell as the starter.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
tm1119;5074212 said:
Really hope not. Jerry needs to open the checkbook and get either Clabo or Winston here. Just too much of a risk for me to go into the season with Parnell as the starter.

And yet everyone was clamouring for a rook tackle? Constantly buying band aids is not how you build a line.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
TheRomoSexual;5074216 said:
And yet everyone was clamouring for a rook tackle? Constantly buying band aids is not how you build a line.

Hoping a practice squad guy sticks isn't either. This team's record of developing offensive lineman over the last 10 years is putrid.

I have no problem with giving Parnell a shot. But Winston or Clabo must be brought in to compete. If Parnell is good enough, he'll beat them out. If he's not.. well, good thing we signed Winston/Clabo then, right?

We've got to stop kicking the can down the road and hoping these longshots pan out.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
If Free isn't off this ing roster by June 1 I will lose faith in the entire organization. I'm hanging on by a thread as it is. Get that hack out of Dallas.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I'm actually more worried about RG, not RT........unless costa starts at center and Fredrick at guard.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
DOUBLE WING;5074224 said:
Hoping a practice squad guy sticks isn't either. This team's record of developing offensive lineman over the last 10 years is putrid.

I have no problem with giving Parnell a shot. But Winston or Clabo must be brought in to compete. If Parnell is good enough, he'll beat them out. If he's not.. well, good thing we signed Winston/Clabo then, right?

We've got to stop kicking the can down the road and hoping these longshots pan out.

Calling Parnell a "practice squad guy" is completely disengenuous. He started for us last year and played enough to give the coaches an idea of what they have with him.

By the by, a lot of people were high on M. Watson, but really, is there much difference between Watson's and Parnell's respective backgrounds?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
theranchsucks;5074232 said:
I'm actually more worried about RG, not RT........unless costa starts at center and Fredrick at guard.

But I thought the entire purpose of drafting Frederick was to have a foundation in the center of the line that would allow Romo to step up into the pocket?

Isnt that what Jerry said at his presser, that LT can C had to be studs and they could fill in the rest later?

Playing Fredrick at guard would pretty much make all this just BS.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;5074244 said:
But I thought the entire purpose of drafting Frederick was to have a foundation in the center of the line that would allow Romo to step up into the pocket?

Isnt that what Jerry said at his presser, that LT can C had to be studs and they could fill in the rest later?

Jerry also said Wilcox was going to start.

I kinda just roll my eyes when he starts announcing starters. Especially rookies.

From what i've seen Frederick looks much better as a guard although he only played center 1 year.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I'm happy to here about Parnell starting. As long as free isn't close to the field. Hopefully he refuses a pay cut and gets his butt canned.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
Beast_from_East;5074244 said:

That's not at all what was said. He said having a guy like Fred who can play guard or center solidifies the interior, which makes sense in light of our injury issues last season.