Parson needs to stay on the line

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Micah got his sack against the Panthers from the LB position.

I like what the team is doing with Parsons, although I do agree that his greatest impact comes when he’s playing forward and applying pressure to the QB. However, just putting him at DE will allow the offense to know where he’ll be and account for him on every play. Moving him and sending him from all over the formation puts a lot of pressure on the QB to locate him and adjust the protection.

I’d like to see him continue to get snaps as an edge player and when he does play an off-ball LB position, I still want to see him sent after the QB a lot. I mean, sure mix it up a little and let him drop off in coverage now-and-then… but more often than not he needs to be applying pressure to the backfield. Parsons has a knack for slipping blocks, just like he did against the Panthers when he avoided the RB block, kept his balance, and was on top of Darnold before he could get rid of the ball. That needs to be used often.

Parsons is a very unique weapon that can be deployed against QB’s in a variety of ways. If the Cowboys continue to use him right, he will absolutely impact every single game they play this year. He’s going to be a nightmare for offenses and he’s going to win some games for Dallas this season. His impact can be that big.

In coverage though, he just won’t effect the outcome nearly as much. He will be great, no matter how they use him… but he’s a game changer and a game wrecker when he’s sent after the QB. If they keep him going forward, he’s going to be one of the greats of the game, IMO.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Your not understanding what you are seeing. You are seeing him blitz from the linebacker position.
Whether he is lined up as a lb or dl is moot to my point. Just saying that when he played up on line whether as a lineman in a 4-3 formation or as a lb in a hybrid 3-4 scheme, he was very disruptive and most effective. When he had to play as LB in the flats from side to side, not so much. I get it, we want him to play up to his potential in all the positions we are asking him to play and I think he will only get that much better at doing just that.
I was just saying that he does the most damage 'right now' with his skillset on or real dang close at the line of scrimmage.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
The fact we're talking about a rookie linebacker moving between 2 very different positions and which one he is better at shows his talent level. The story they told on the broadcast yesterday about him saying he was a WR when he got to PSU and getting to play there further reinforces his talent. They joked the coach said he may have been the best WR on the team too, lol.

At one point I heard he was returning punts.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
WTH???

What are you watching?

Go rewatch the game(s). Micah is definitely more efficient by rushing the QB from the edge, than playing LB.

There was one time he rushed up the middle and took on 3 blockers while forcing Darnold to move to his right. Thus it ended up with a sack with Goldston.

visionary

Reaction score
Micah got his sack against the Panthers from the LB position.

I like what the team is doing with Parsons, although I do agree that his greatest impact comes when he’s playing forward and applying pressure to the QB. However, just putting him at DE will allow the offense to know where he’ll be and account for him on every play. Moving him and sending him from all over the formation puts a lot of pressure on the QB to locate him and adjust the protection.

I’d like to see him continue to get snaps as an edge player and when he does play an off-ball LB position, I still want to see him sent after the QB a lot. I mean, sure mix it up a little and let him drop off in coverage now-and-then… but more often than not he needs to be applying pressure to the backfield. Parsons has a knack for slipping blocks, just like he did against the Panthers when he avoided the RB block, kept his balance, and was on top of Darnold before he could get rid of the ball. That needs to be used often.

Parsons is a very unique weapon that can be deployed against QB’s in a variety of ways. If the Cowboys continue to use him right, he will absolutely impact every single game they play this year. He’s going to be a nightmare for offenses and he’s going to win some games for Dallas this season. His impact can be that big.

In coverage though, he just won’t effect the outcome nearly as much. He will be great, no matter how they use him… but he’s a game changer and a game wrecker when he’s sent after the QB. If they keep him going forward, he’s going to be one of the greats of the game, IMO.

agree

to me he’s the next Ray Lewis with better pass rush skills

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Just me, but this kid has a lot on his plate, especially considering he's only played 4 games. He has the talent to be the best defensive player in the league but it's going to take time.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think moving him around is good. He won’t last as long playing constantly at that level on the line. Too brutal on the body. Getting some reps in at LB will preserve and extend his career.

Seems this is getting overlooked by some but you're exactly right ....100%

Last edited:

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Micah is too light in the pants to play DE full time. He’s going to wear down.. if he puts on weight then he loses some speed and quickness. Jaylon and LVE are trash. I’d bring in a veteran quick.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Micah is too light in the pants to play DE full time. He’s going to wear down.. if he puts on weight then he loses some speed and quickness. Jaylon and LVE are trash. I’d bring in a veteran quick.

No question .........I mean would you rather have him linning up EVERY PLAY against some of the best LTs or RTs in the league or move him around to find the best mismatch.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
No question .........I mean would you rather have him linning up EVERY PLAY against some of the best LTs or RTs in the league or move him around to find the best mismatch.

He’s facing a 320 pound man full time. Plus getting doubled by a RB and TE. I rather have him move around and Blitz of the edge.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Well I am good with seeing him moved around but he is better lined up as a DL. He is frustrating opposing lines/qbs double teamed or not anyways
I know everyone wants him to replace Jaylon or they feel he is a better linebacker but I think you are right. He is very disruptive on the DL. I think you are spot on and not "nuts" at all.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
[QUOTE="Vinnie2u, post: 11247962, member: 1617"]He’s facing a 320 pound man full time. Plus getting doubled by a RB and TE. I rather have him move around and Blitz of the edge.[/QUOTE]

No question ....there's a reason one of the common injuries to DEs is back issues, takes it toll

J-man

Reaction score
I'm from the Harrisburg area of PA just like Parsons and if you go back and read my posts before the draft I told ya'll I watched him play football his entire life. And I said then, that he was a freak athlete who's best trait was attacking the line, qb or rb, it makes no difference. He is so quick and slippery that he can create havoc getting into the back field. I also said that he could run super fast, but that his pass defense "instincts" weren't great and I worried about him being a MLB for a 4/3 defense.

I said he will best fit in as a 3/4 OLB (think Von Miller) attacking the line most of the time, but picking up RB's out of the back field and in the flat.
And because of that I questioned taking him top 10 in the draft. I questioned him as a LB prospect for this team, in this scheme. I just wasn't sure how he would fit this defense.

Well, so far, he is exactly what I said he was, a flat out disrupting play buster creating havoc in the backfield. I still think his best NFL position is OLB on a 3/4 defense. If we don't switch schemes and keep doing what we're doing I don't much care if they play him as a LB or a DE, as long as they let him attack the line.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Micah switch played LB yesterday against the Panthers. He was not effective when he played LB. WHEN WILL YOU LEARN???
Sack, tfl, 2 pressures? If that’s not effective I’ll take it all day. They also had him blitzing up the middle which really affected darnold.

educate yourself.

Majic

Reaction score
I'm from the Harrisburg area of PA just like Parsons and if you go back and read my posts before the draft I told ya'll I watched him play football his entire life. And I said then, that he was a freak athlete who's best trait was attacking the line, qb or rb, it makes no difference. He is so quick and slippery that he can create havoc getting into the back field. I also said that he could run super fast, but that his pass defense "instincts" weren't great and I worried about him being a MLB for a 4/3 defense.

I said he will best fit in as a 3/4 OLB (think Von Miller) attacking the line most of the time, but picking up RB's out of the back field and in the flat.
And because of that I questioned taking him top 10 in the draft. I questioned him as a LB prospect for this team, in this scheme. I just wasn't sure how he would fit this defense.

Well, so far, he is exactly what I said he was, a flat out disrupting play buster creating havoc in the backfield. I still think his best NFL position is OLB on a 3/4 defense. If we don't switch schemes and keep doing what we're doing I don't much care if they play him as a LB or a DE, as long as they let him attack the line.

Spot on