Parsons in Man Coverage vs WR Kenny Stills

rambo2

Reaction score
Weird play overall. Would be nice to see the All-22 on that play. I don't know why a defensive coordinator would have a LB covering a WR one-on-one. Makes no sense. Yeah, I know Parsons is fast but LBs don't cover WR. Something seemed off on that play. Also, why were there 3 Cowboys near Stills? Diggs, Kearse, and Parsons are all in close vicinity of Stills and I don't see any other Saints' players near the ball.

It looked to me like Stills should have caught the ball. I need to look at it in slow motion again.
Take a look. It was an incredible play by Parsons.

khiladi

Reaction score
Parsons is a beast. That being said, it was Horrible throw into solid coverage…

We played a mediocre passing QB, though I’m not sure he hurt his finger at that point, that hurt his finger on his throwing hand and had them taped up..

rambo2

Reaction score
Parsons is a beast. That being said, it was Horrible throw into solid coverage…

We played a mediocre passing QB, though I’m not sure he hurt his finger at that point, that hurt his finger on his throwing hand and had them taped up..
It would have taken a perfect throw to get it in there.

khiladi

Reaction score
It would have taken a perfect throw to get it in there.

Yep. Even though he had a few steps on Parsons, which is why Hill threw it in the first place, and Parsons still shows elite recovery speed, there were TWO DBs waiting right there.

The window was incredibly tight. If Hill threw it any harder, assuming he knew Parsons had that elite speed, the ball would have been at where the two defenders were sitting waiting anyways.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Agreed That’s what was so crazy about it. A lot of corners don’t have recovery speed like that.

Just incredible.
If you see the replay though....Stills had to let up which is why Parsons recovered. If there was no safety there and if the ball was thrown better he's cooked.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Parsons made a great play, considering he's a LB covering a WR, but the real story is that friggin' catch by Kearse. That was a catch most WRs wouldn't have made while dragging their toes. Big props to him for that interception.

HungryLion

Reaction score
If you see the replay though....Stills had to let up which is why Parsons recovered. If there was no safety there and if the ball was thrown better he's cooked.

Correct. But that’s also one of the holes in that defense. Parsons was in trail technique knowing he had safety help over the top.

Hill had to throw it into a small window over Parsons with his speed and before the safety.

Hill can’t make that throw.

Parsons recovery speed makes that window even smaller than it would be with a “normal” LB too.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Parsons was baiting Hill just to make it look like Stills had beaten him.

After all, we are talking about Parsons.

(some silly emoticon)

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
LBs end up in coverage on WRs occasionally. More likely to happen when the defense is playing a 2-deep Safety look which was the case on this play.

NCB Lewis stayed on the other side to cover WR Lil'Jordan Humphrey.
- Humphrey was lined up tight to the formation like a TE.

The WR on the outside left was covered by Diggs. That WR ran straight down the left sideline.

The WR covered by Parsons was in the slot and did a double move then ran down the left sideline.

Diggs was nearby due to his WRs route.

Kearse was nearby because they were in a 2-deep Safety alignment.

The QB had to throw it high enough to clear Parsons. It ended up being just a few inches too high for Stills.
- Even if it was lower, Parsons had his hand between the arms of the WR and likely would have prevented the WR from maintaining possession.
And the receiver had to do a double move to get away from Parsons initially. I wonder how that would've gone if he didn't do a double move. The point is, Parsons' is a problem on defense for opposing offenses. We need one more of him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The reason they had a LB covering a WR is because they were playing a 2-deep Safety alignment.

The LB is just expected to stay close enough to force the QB to throw over him.
- The general expectation is for the Safety to make the play if the WR goes deep.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yep. Even though he had a few steps on Parsons, which is why Hill threw it in the first place, and Parsons still shows elite recovery speed, there were TWO DBs waiting right there.

The window was incredibly tight. If Hill threw it any harder, assuming he knew Parsons had that elite speed, the ball would have been at where the two defenders were sitting waiting anyways.

Right. Stills had to slow up for the pass because if Hill had thrown it to him in stride, it would have led him right into Diggs and Kearse and probably resulted in an interception anyway. He tried to fit it into the hole between Parsons and the DBs and toward the sideline and Parsons closed well to make it a more difficult catch.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yeah can we stop using him in coverage please?

Id prefer our elite pass rusher not chasing wideouts 20 yards down field.
Yet, Micah covering the Saints' fastest WR actually worked. Micah got beat early, recovered and actually was right on Stills when the ball arrived, close enough to stick his hand in between both arms. Seems better than what our DBs have been able to do lately.