Twitter: Parsons moving to DE

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Man you got to do something....DQ doesn't have many choices.....Chargers have a rookie at LT and back up at RT......I say roll the dice and put PARSONS ...in BEAST MODE....

Well it should be interesting.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I think he will be a fish out of water at DE. I think the problem is he won't have the strength to bull rush a Tackle and will therefore only try to run around the outside and get pushed further outside by the tackle. Now if we get a push up front and the QB has to flee the pocket then he might be able to destroy a play or two. How he does it pretty much depend on whatever push we get up front. Above said, I understand the move. We have depth at LB and we have no quality depth on the D Line.

I don't think they'd put him there if he was really going to be a "fish out of water". I think he just might do better than we think. I might be mistaken, but if he was that out of place, I don't believe they'd risk getting their best LB wiped out if he couldn't handle himself.
He's probably been practicing against Tyron Smith, and they don't come much better than Tyron Smith.

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don’t know about this move . Seems it puts him at a disadvantage limiting him . Play the ends you have leave him at LB but move him around send him on blitzes etc . Any chance Cox takes some snaps this game ?

I love it.

It shows how important the position is and how talented they think he is to even ask him to do it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I’m also wondering if Dallas is going to run more of a 3-4 look or 4-3 over and under.

Id honestly like to see what Jaylon can do as a pass rush guy.

Blake

Reaction score
It’s a smart move.

playing Neal/Parsons 80 percent of the time was ridiculous.

we need Jaylon/Lve on the field more.

play our best 3.

You are clueless and your ratio confirms it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Should just run a 3-4 front.

I think putting Parsons hand in the dirt isn’t smart. Plus, now this guarantees Smith starts and plays the entire game.

Parsons was a DE before Penn State. So it’s not like he’s moving to a position he never played. However, he wasn’t facing 300+ offensive lineman that are in the NFL
Quinn has the DEs play standing up more often than hand-down.

They normally only play 2 LBs. Neal & Parsons each played about 50 snaps.

LVE and Jaylon played each played about 15 snaps.

Hopefully LVE plays more snaps and Jaylon less.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not sure I like this move. This may make running the ball easier and more attractive for the Chargers. Parsons can rush the passer and he’s a great tackler. But that’s been when he’s not being engaged immediately by an OL.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We agree. If he is an effective pass rusher off of the edge it will change are defense dramatically. Especially if LVE/Jaylon/Cox can man the middle. I am not a hater of Jaylon or LVE but both seem to be slow read/react. I am hoping Cox is at the very least gets a few reps this game.
The majority of the time, they will be in the nickel, pretty sure Lve and even Cox is ahead of Jaylon against the pass. Actually like a DC who thinks outside the box and plays the best players. If Lve is better then Armstrong why force the latter on the field. Not worried about Parsons playing in essence the Leo position.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Should just run a 3-4 front.

I think putting Parsons hand in the dirt isn’t smart. Plus, now this guarantees Smith starts and plays the entire game.

Parsons was a DE before Penn State. So it’s not like he’s moving to a position he never played. However, he wasn’t facing 300+ offensive lineman that are in the NFL
Nobody said they will have him playing like a 4-3 DE with his hand in the dirt. By the way Justin Tuck was awfully good as a nickel DT going against bigger lineman due to his speed/quickness, he was about the same size/weight as Parsons

blueblood70

Reaction score
anyone on here saying this is bad decision are NOT plucking coaches , scouts, or gms.

shut up already..im sure he wont be playing a traditionally hand in the ground DE, not many snaps anyway

..DQ will have plan to use him like hybrid OLB/DE and pass rush him more all up and down the line wherever they find weak spot..heck id like to see Jaylon have few of these ..they wont bash him into a Tackle all game but if they try and block him with TE or RB chip they will regret it..its who Parsons is not just traditional LB you use his skill set..i remember when ours staff would never think outsdie the box and so far the OC and now the DC has broke from transitional calls and trying to match an opponent with wrinkle or two to cover up a weakness..It a great how many hybrid S/LB and interchangeable LBs we have,

so LVE, cox and some jaylon can take up some snaps when Parsons is used as pass rusher..its nice change that we have some options..

man this place if full of the knowitall egomaniacal fan base with all the negative replies, as its mistake, its stupid and the fun one we should have drafted slater right that it we have two healthy tackles now one happened to get suspended, chit happens..draft slater and give up who exactly..defense was the way to go..

it was then it is now no backtracking and hindsight , i told you so crowd..i got my one finger salute for you all right here..shut up!! you aren't NFL PLayer evaluators, stop acting like it..

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought Armstrong was some supposed stud? Lol… the LAC are throwing out a backup RT— if our backups can’t beat their backups— then, well, we suck

Agree with just playing more 3-4. We are short on DL, long at LBer— so just dip more into the 3-4 playbook and let Micah and Basham rush as OLBs— LVE and Neal as inside backers.

Lastly, why do we announce these moves before the game? Why not at least help Micah a bit by leaving a little element of surprise? Lol…

They played 3-4 and a 4-3 that looks like a 3-4 routinely in the preseason.
- The 3-4 had Armstrong and Gregory as the OLBs (DLaw was out).
- The 4-3 that looks like a 3-4 had Gregory and Parsons as the edge rushers.

The 3-4 is a run defense formation. They didn't use it against Brady because they were always in Nickel or Big-Nickel.
- They did use the 3-4 "look" often in the Bucs game with Parsons as one of the edge players.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not much confidence in our remaining DE's then?
Based on game footage review, they really like the "threat" of Parsons as an edge rusher.
- I say threat because he does not always rush when lined up on the edge.
- It makes reading the defense more difficult for offenses because Parsons might be anywhere after the snap.

If Parsons played DE full time he would definitely be better than Anae/Armstrong/Basham, IMO and probably not a liability against the run.
- I don't think it would be the best utilization of his diverse skillset, but he could do it.
- Parsons has an uncanny ability to play with leverage against OLinemen despite the weight difference.
- He has an intuitive "feel" for hitting them just when they're taking a step which can get them off-balance.
- There was a run play in the 4th quarter of the Bucs game where Parsons shoved the 338 pound LT back by more than arms length and then stepped inside to hit the RB.
- Randy Gregory was 235 pre-draft but has never been a liability against the run. He the best run defender of the quality edge rushers in his draft class.