Pass Rush Takes Center Stage

waving monkey

Reaction score
Bryan Broaddus Football Analyst/Scout
5-6 minutes
OXNARD, Calif. – We’re not quite done here in California, but the padded practices are a wrap.

As the Cowboys get ready for their preseason game against Cincinnati, Thursday’s work will be game prep with limited contact. The heavy lifting portion of this year’s Oxnard camp is done.

Things ended on a high note, though, as we once against saw a competitive practice on Wednesday night. Here are my notes

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/scout-s-notebook-pass-rush-takes-center-stage

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It doesn’t happen often, but a tip of the cap to Randy Gregory getting around Tyron Smith twice in a span of three plays during team period. Smith’s pass set wasn’t poor, it was just Gregory’s first step that gave him problems. Once Gregory was able to get to that shoulder, he did the smart thing to dip -- which kept Smith’s hands off him. With no hitting surface, Smith was never able to slow Gregory’s rush down, resulting in the sacks.
:omg:

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
Forget about Demarcus Lawrence's Hot Boyz:facepalm: these are Rods-Rushmen, and behind them will be active, athletic linebackers and aggressive corners. I hope the safeties play up to the level of trust the coaches have put in them. I'm really looking forward to the maturation if this defense as the season plays out.

Gridiron Man

"I AM GRIDIRON MAN"
Reaction score
Trying not to be a homer here, but it's hard not to get excited. I realize the anointing oil overfloweth this time of year, so we should keep our expectations in check.

The regular season cant possibly come soon enough.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Trying not to be a homer here, but it's hard not to get excited. I realize the anointing oil overfloweth this time of year, so we should keep our expectations in check.

The regular season cant possibly come soon enough.

what is wrong with being a little bit of a homer? DL players have been holding their own vs one of the best OL in the league we should be excited about the prospect of this defensive front. Nothing wrong with being a fan. lol

Gridiron Man

"I AM GRIDIRON MAN"
Reaction score
what is wrong with being a little bit of a homer? DL players have been holding their own vs one of the best OL in the league we should be excited about the prospect of this defensive front. Nothing wrong with being a fan. lol

Little bit yes. Unfortunately, this time of year is notorious for "We're Super Bowl bound" etc. etc.. Then when the first loss comes our way, those same people go into meltdown and wreak havoc on the forum. You can be a fan without acting in the above said manner.

After a loss, I tend to stay away from the forums for a day or two until people get a grip on reality.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Little bit yes. Unfortunately, this time of year is notorious for "We're Super Bowl bound" etc. etc.. Then when the first loss comes our way, those same people go into meltdown and wreak havoc on the forum. You can be a fan without acting in the above said manner.

After a loss, I tend to stay away from the forums for a day or two until people get a grip on reality.

and so what, they are fans. People want to act as if I keep my expectations low losing will not hurt so bad? Hell with that. Myself I don't predict SB but I will back my team and so what if someone calls me a homer. Winning is great and losing sucks but at the end of the day it is a game that we have no control over we either back our team or not. If I can't get excited about football why bother watching it

Gridiron Man

"I AM GRIDIRON MAN"
Reaction score
and so what, they are fans. People want to act as if I keep my expectations low losing will not hurt so bad? Hell with that. Myself I don't predict SB but I will back my team and so what if someone calls me a homer. Winning is great and losing sucks but at the end of the day it is a game that we have no control over we either back our team or not.
It's not about keeping your expectations "low" it's about keeping them reasonable. It's not about whether you back your team or not. It's about not being hyperbolic. I think you're misinterpreting my comments.

Tell me that fans on these forums don't overreact after a loss.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It's not about keeping your expectations "low" it's about keeping them reasonable. It's not about whether you back your team or not. It's about not being hyperbolic. I think you're misinterpreting my comments.

Tell me that fans on these forums don't overreact after a loss.

Of course they do, fans tend to overreact when Dallas starts winning people jump ahead to the SB, lose a game and you would think Dallas was the second coming of the Cleveland Browns every player sucks and so do the coaches. My point is fans have every right to get excited about their team. DL has looked good thus far and has stirred up some buzz with people who follow them so why not give them some love. lol

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm thinking that our newly invigorated pass rush will be useful training for the offense to have available in practice. They'll be getting trained to be more aware of an impending pass rush when we're playing the highly elite teams. Also, Dak will get acclimated to having more awareness of the pass rush. He'll be ready to do whatever it takes to either get rid of the ball in a timely fashion or be prepared to avoid it with movement.

Gridiron Man

"I AM GRIDIRON MAN"
Reaction score
My point is fans have every right to get excited about their team. DL has looked good thus far and has stirred up some buzz with people who follow them so why not give them some love. lol

I don't think I ever said "fans don't have a right to get excited". I was speaking mostly for myself if you read my original post.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Bryan Broaddus Football Analyst/Scout
5-6 minutes
OXNARD, Calif. – We’re not quite done here in California, but the padded practices are a wrap.

As the Cowboys get ready for their preseason game against Cincinnati, Thursday’s work will be game prep with limited contact. The heavy lifting portion of this year’s Oxnard camp is done.

Things ended on a high note, though, as we once against saw a competitive practice on Wednesday night. Here are my notes

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/scout-s-notebook-pass-rush-takes-center-stage

This camp has gone about as well as could have possibly expected. No major injuries thus far and these pass rushers on the right side are looking promising. Smith looking amazing.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm thinking that our newly invigorated pass rush will be useful training for the offense to have available in practice. They'll be getting trained to be more aware of an impending pass rush when we're playing the highly elite teams. Also, Dak will get acclimated to having more awareness of the pass rush. He'll be ready to do whatever it takes to either get rid of the ball in a timely fashion or be prepared to avoid it with movement.

Dak has been great against the pass rush since he has been here.

Gridiron Man

"I AM GRIDIRON MAN"
Reaction score
This camp has gone about as well as could have possibly expected. No major injuries thus far and these pass rushers on the right side are looking promising. Smith looking amazing.
So true. Our pass rush was improving last season and looks to be even better this year.

Gridiron Man

"I AM GRIDIRON MAN"
Reaction score
Armstrong and the return of Gregory are whats boosted it. Too bad about our starting DT's. If Irving could come back sober and in shape this could be one heck of a pass rush.
There has to be a way to set these young players straight. Gregory and Irving need to do themselves and the team right by cleaning up their personal lives. It's really frustrating for everyone.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
There has to be a way to set these young players straight. Gregory and Irving need to do themselves and the team right by cleaning up their personal lives. It's really frustrating for everyone.

We shouldnt be relying on guys like this. I have a little more sympathy for Gregory, but I honestly would have cut ties with him after his 2nd suspension.