Patriots TE Ben Watson discloses failed drug test

joseephuss

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...iots-te-ben-watson-discloses-failed-drug-test

Patriots TE Ben Watson discloses failed drug test

In a Facebook post Sunday afternoon, New England Patriots TE Benjamin Watson disclosed the result of a failed drug test administered in March.

"As a professional athlete for the last 15 years I know very well the limitations on what can be prescribed for my overall health," Watson explained on his Facebook page. "After my contract expired last March I told my doctors I was finished playing, went through a series of medical tests and was prescribed Bio Identical Testosterone Cypionate to assist in healing my body and mind.

"On March 29, nine days after I started therapy, I was randomly tested under our substance policies. I complied out of habit, never thinking in that moment I'd want to come back. In late April, some clubs expressed interest in me playing and after much deliberation and prayer, I decided I wanted to return. Considering myself previously retired, I had forgotten all about my test in March until I got a letter on May 3rd saying my results were positive."

Watson, 38, retired soon after the 2018 season but the team that initially drafted him in 2004 came calling in wake of Rob Gronkowski's own retirement.

sean10mm

Reaction score
He's a weird case because he retired and then got his drugs legitimately prescribed by a doctor, but the league probably HAS TO suspend him for it anyway because otherwise they're creating an easily abused loophole.

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
I think it's a ridiculous suspension that is not done because of Watson as much as others that others would abuse it.

revospeed

Reaction score
A 38 year old taking testosterone and getting suspended? Not as ridiculous as Wade Wilson, as a coach, taking testosterone to help with his diabetes and getting suspended.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Didn’t think they could identify the testosterone itself. It’s bio identical. Perhaps his levels were to high..

Pape

Reaction score
Didn’t think they could identify the testosterone itself. It’s bio identical. Perhaps his levels were to high..

yup... spot on ... its all about the ratio. T/LH or T/ET in the urine, what ever one the currently use.