Paul Finebaum on ESPN radio today talks Lincoln Riley Dallas Cowboys future

jblaze2004

Reaction score
I can't believe u can spend unlimited amount of resources on the coaching staff and this is the staff we came up with? Isn't Garrett being paid top coach money for someone who is middle of the pack at best?

Its like we forget that their is a cap on the players not the coaches. Get the best coaches money can buy Jerry.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
I can't believe u can spend unlimited amount of resources on the coaching staff and this is the staff we came up with? Isn't Garrett being paid top coach money for someone who is middle of the pack at best?

Its like we forget that their is a cap on the players not the coaches. Get the best coaches money can buy Jerry.
Tell me who the great coaches that had proven success and have been available are.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
You Garrett haters are making up your own BS and passing it on to other Garrett haters as if it's a real possibility. It's really quite fascinating to watch you BS each other as if it's real. You just want your fantasy to come true so bad. I'm laughing at all of you. :lmao::laugh::lmao2:

aria

Reaction score
Chip Kelly experiment 2.0. Riley inherited a team and pipeline stacked with talent thanks to Bob Stoops, he’s never worked in the NFL on any level. His offense is good as are a lot of teams in the Big 12 because there is zero defense. His offenses will come down to earth when he’s not putting up video game scores against defenseless Big 12 teams.

This infatuation with him is mind boggling. Some fans just want the newest, shiniest toy available. First it was Shaw, then that died down now it’s Riley. I wouldn’t mind seeing what he could do as an OC but HC? I’d look to someone with a little more experience on the pro level.

How did the Saban experience work out? What about Chip Kelly? Are there any college HC’s that have gone directly from college to HC in the NFL with no prior NFL experience and had any success? Kingsbury hasn’t had much success as of yet. Serious question.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Chip Kelly experiment 2.0. Riley inherited a team and pipeline stacked with talent thanks to Bob Stoops, he’s never worked in the NFL on any level. His offense is good as are a lot of teams in the Big 12 because there is zero defense. His offenses will come down to earth when he’s not putting up video game scores against defenseless Big 12 teams.

This infatuation with him is mind boggling. Some fans just want the newest, shiniest toy available. First it was Shaw, then that died down now it’s Riley. I wouldn’t mind seeing what he could do as an OC but HC? I’d look to someone with a little more experience on the pro level.

How did the Saban experience work out? What about Chip Kelly? Are there any college HC’s that have gone directly from college to HC in the NFL with no prior NFL experience and had any success? Kingsbury hasn’t had much success as of yet. Serious question.
I assume you mean recently and not taking Jimmy into account. Does Harbaugh count? He was a player in NFL not a coach before going from Stanford to the 49ers

texbumthelife

Reaction score
RS12, if this doesn't happen now I am holding you personally responsible. I've developed a special set of skills over the years that makes me very dangerous for someone like you. I hope I don't have to use them.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Tbh, the Romo thing will always be a thorn in my side. Garrett was essentially gifted the two most difficult to find positions—quarterback and edge rusher—and he could do nothing with them.
Oh. I thought you were referring to Dak as the franchise quarterback. That's why I thought you were employing sarcasm. :laugh:

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I think I left too much unsaid. I meant Garrett essentially wasted Romo’s career. It would suck if Garrett never developed into a good head coach. In other words, we wasted Romo’s career and got nothing in exchange.
You could make the argument that Romo covered Garrett's deficiencies so well he wasted his own career. I'm of the opinion that if Romo ran the offense the way Garrett wanted Garrett would've been fired years ago.

aria

Reaction score
I assume you mean recently and not taking Jimmy into account. Does Harbaugh count? He was a player in NFL not a coach before going from Stanford to the 49ers
Yup, forgot about both of them. I’d argue it’s harder now then it was for Jimmy though.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Heard Paul Finebaum on Golic and Wingo today, also Stephen A Smith: On Golic and Wingo he said he was "100% certain that Riley would be coaching the Dallas Cowboys this time next year". He was asked the question by Golic and Wingo. On Stephen A Smith without prompting he said "he would be shocked if Riley wasn't the head coach in Dallas after this season". Take it FWIW, gotta think Finebaum has his share of contacts.
Yuck. That would suck. Then we have to write off the next two years....

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Yup, forgot about both of them. I’d argue it’s harder now then it was for Jimmy though.
It’s actually probably easier because NFL teams are using so many college concepts and visiting college coaches during offseason to learn nuances of spread scheme that’s matriculated.

College coaches don’t have to come up with completely new playbook of going from pure shotgun to under center.

Zordon

Reaction score
I am a fan of the power run game, and being able to work the ball down the field on crossing routes in the passing game. Both Shaw and Chryst's offenses would work well in the NFL, and are well suited to the personnel already on the roster.
OU is #1 right now in yards per run.

Plankton

Reaction score
OU is #1 right now in yards per run.

OU gets elite talent. Wisconsin and Stanford do not. I think Shaw and Chryst fit better with the Cowboy personnel, and their personalities would work well in the NFL.