Paul Finebaum on ESPN radio today talks Lincoln Riley Dallas Cowboys future

stilltheguru

Reaction score
i think you said it best "using some of Kliffs plays" they are not running it completely and watching AZ games thinking no way this system will work full time in NFL.
So you think Riley's offense wont work in Dallas?

aria

Reaction score
It’s actually probably easier because NFL teams are using so many college concepts and visiting college coaches during offseason to learn nuances of spread scheme that’s matriculated.

College coaches don’t have to come up with completely new playbook of going from pure shotgun to under center.
I was thinking more in regards to salary cap vs no salary cap. As I said in my original post, he inherited a boatload of talent, deep recruiting pipeline and plays in one of the worst (if not the worst) defensive conference in the country. It would be very, very hard for him not too succeed.

I think a lot of coaches who were put in that position would have similar success. This isn’t knocking Dak but what would he do with a QB like him? He wouldn’t be able to run his same style offense, can he adapt or would we have to draft a new QB? Look what AZ did to accommodate Kingsbury.

I’m just very skeptical because this isn’t a guy like Urban Meyer who started near the bottom and built a smaller team that achieved great success and eventually moved up to coach the bigger teams, Riley was literally put in a perfect situation to succeed.

Speaking of coaching...why doesn’t Urban Meyers name get thrown around? Everyone knows he’ll be back at some level, he has a much better resume and more experience.

Zordon

Reaction score
OU gets elite talent. Wisconsin and Stanford do not. I think Shaw and Chryst fit better with the Cowboy personnel, and their personalities would work well in the NFL.
I probably would have agreed with you a few years ago when this oline in 12 personnel + leary was truly imposing its will on opponents. I don't see that dominance anymore.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
I was thinking more in regards to salary cap vs no salary cap. As I said in my original post, he inherited a boatload of talent, deep recruiting pipeline and plays in one of the worst (if not the worst) defensive conference in the country. It would be very, very hard for him not too succeed.

I think a lot of coaches who were put in that position would have similar success. This isn’t knocking Dak but what would he do with a QB like him? He wouldn’t be able to run his same style offense, can he adapt or would we have to draft a new QB? Look what AZ did to accommodate Kingsbury.

I’m just very skeptical because this isn’t a guy like Urban Meyer who started near the bottom and built a smaller team that achieved great success and eventually moved up to coach the bigger teams, Riley was literally put in a perfect situation to succeed.

Speaking of coaching...why doesn’t Urban Meyers name get thrown around? Everyone knows he’ll be back at some level, he has a much better resume and more experience.
Lincoln Riley first made a name for himself as an OC at East Carolina at 29. Ever since he left their offense went in the tank.

He’s not just been at P5 programs his whole life

aria

Reaction score
OU is #1 right now in yards per run.
It’s the BIG 12 and they’ve played Houston, South Dakota, UCLA, Texas Tech and Kansas. That’s like us throwing around stats and pumping our chest from the first 3 games playing all losers, BIG LOSERS!

aria

Reaction score
Lincoln Riley first made a name for himself as an OC at East Carolina at 29. Ever since he left their offense went in the tank.

He’s not just been at P5 programs his whole life
Ok, and the rest of what I said?

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Ok, and the rest of what I said?
Well doing it at East Carolina negates the rest of the argument of just having every advantage where its easy to succeed. And Texas has had many down years the last 10 years where they have even more advantages than OU.

it’s not just Madden where you roll the players out there and win by 50

Beaker42

Reaction score
Th
That would be nice.

But I'll believe it when I see it.
at would be more than nice - it would be fan-freaking-tasting. No more Clapper. Yes please - sign me up. Garrett sucks and so do Marinelli and Richard.

gmb1

Reaction score
This will probably happen unless the Cowboys win the Superbowl. I do predict us losing to Aaron Rodgers in the playoffs again tho.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Here’s why Lincoln Riley is overrated: When OU takes the field every Saturday, Riley usually has a talent advantage he will NEVER have in the NFL. It’s a lot easier to look like a genius against Kansas and Kansas State than against the Eagles. The talent disparity in college is HUGE compared to the NFL.

I do think Riley is a good young coach. But what evidence do we have he would have success in the NFL? He never played or coached in this league. Look at Nick Saban’s Short stint in Miami. When he didn’t have a huge talent advantage, somehow his “genius” wasn’t as great. Same for Chip Kelly’s “genius”.
And why would Riley want to work for Jerry? In Norman, OK, he has a ton of freedom and recruiting for a top 5 program isn’t as hard as at some Podunk U. He’s already making huge money and is super popular in Norman. Why come to the circus here where the owner comes to every coaches meeting and tells you who you can’t discipline?

Finally, what evidence do we have Jerry is giving up on his red headed puppet? He said this summer he wanted Garrett around for 10 more years. Unless this team has a complete collapse, I can’t see Jerry making a change. I would like to see Garrett gone, but there’s no evidence he’s even on a hot seat.

:hammer:There's a reason why your Spurriers and Chip Kelly's couldn't translate their college success to the pros. College systems are never tested with the type of defenses they'll see in NFL ( every Sunday ).

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here’s why Lincoln Riley is overrated: When OU takes the field every Saturday, Riley usually has a talent advantage he will NEVER have in the NFL. It’s a lot easier to look like a genius against Kansas and Kansas State than against the Eagles. The talent disparity in college is HUGE compared to the NFL.

I do think Riley is a good young coach. But what evidence do we have he would have success in the NFL? He never played or coached in this league. Look at Nick Saban’s Short stint in Miami. When he didn’t have a huge talent advantage, somehow his “genius” wasn’t as great. Same for Chip Kelly’s “genius”.

And why would Riley want to work for Jerry? In Norman, OK, he has a ton of freedom and recruiting for a top 5 program isn’t as hard as at some Podunk U. He’s already making huge money and is super popular in Norman. Why come to the circus here where the owner comes to every coaches meeting and tells you who you can’t discipline?

Finally, what evidence do we have Jerry is giving up on his red headed puppet? He said this summer he wanted Garrett around for 10 more years. Unless this team has a complete collapse, I can’t see Jerry making a change. I would like to see Garrett gone, but there’s no evidence he’s even on a hot seat.

Too hard on Saban. He had a huge handicap. Garret was his QB coach. That man never stood a chance. lol

smitty313

Reaction score
Side note:

Sumlin did not do any favors for Murray, that entire season was a disaster which ultimately lead to Sumlins demise. Funny thing, both Aggie QBs ,that were passed around like a kleenex, are both starting in the league..one for Arizona and one for Carolina. Now, back on track..my apologies
As an Aggie who watched all that unfold you're totally right, Sumlin totally mismanaged Kyler and Kyle

aria

Reaction score
Well doing it at East Carolina negates the rest of the argument of just having every advantage where its easy to succeed. And Texas has had many down years the last 10 years where they have even more advantages than OU.

it’s not just Madden where you roll the players out there and win by 50
Urban Meyer?

I disagree with TX having more advantages vs OU. Mack Brown ruined that team in the end and Strong was called in to clean up his mess. Not only did Strong start off with a weak and messy roster, he had zero recruiting contacts in TX like he did in the SE which is a big deal.

Since Mack also left him with a heap, he didn’t have recruits banging down his door like they used to at TX or any big program that has actually been winning.

Cowboys1996

Reaction score
1st comment on this site in general. #1 goal is for the cowboys to win the super bowl this year. I was foolish to believe a Garrett coached team could do that. He is not a leader and not a winner and almost never has his team prepared for a game against average to above average opponents. Period. After 12 years this is now a fact.

Personally, I believe this team has the talent in all three phases (minus Maher) to win the super bowl, but is lacking the leader to get them there. I also believe that Jerry is starting to see the deficiencies in this team, evident with the hire of Kellen Moore. I think he thinks that Moore can be a special offensive coordinator (polar opposite of what this team had in quite some time), and saw that Linehan’s offense was disgusting to watch and archaic. The jury is out for me on Moore, but I loved Boise State’s offense in college and think he can be a very creative coordinator who can maximize the potential of this offense. I think we have still not seen his real potential because Garrett is the head coach and constraining him in at least some way. If this defense continues to struggle, I don’t see Jerry having any issues with getting rid of Rod and Richard and will go after a big time coach this offseason if that’s how this thing turns out. Our defense is timid and passive, and is almost never the aggressor. They have the main pieces to be successful, they are just not coached correctly and are put in an awful position to make plays. The lack of turnovers on this team over the years is a joke in such a pass happy league. I’m not stupid though, those players, and the entire defense, need to step up and play with their heads on fire.

With that said, #2 goal this year is for Garrett and almost this entire staff to be fired. I don’t care about early playoff exits (again) under his tenure anymore or not reaching the conference title game. Sadly, I’ve seen nothing this year to suggest that this team will win the super bowl. Yes it’s early, but Garrett has no record of ever being the difference maker (which is exactly what a head coach needs to be) for this team. I have a feeling Jerry will consider Saban. For some reason, I think these two could work well together and Saban is the type of coach that will have this team prepared to compete for championships. I’m well aware of Sabans history as a coach in the NFL, but he has lately shown a great willingness to adapt with the times and be successful at it. Alabama has stud players, but their scheme on offense is fun to watch when it’s running on all cylinders. And we know what he brings to the defensive side of the ball. Given the times, and the SEC, he knows how to have his defense defend the attacks we see today. I don’t care what kind of contract he signed at Alabama, if the cowboys come calling, you don’t turn that down. This is the pinnacle job in coaching for football, either pro or college, in my opinion. Jerry seems like he is going to go all in on Lincoln and make sure he hires a defensive coordinator whose been successful and will start to be the aggressor this defense needs. I like Riley a lot as a coach. What he has done at Oklahoma in the past three years and counting as head coach is fun to watch. Say what you want, but two Heisman winners and #1 overall picks in a row (and Hurts is in the running this year, and should be) is exactly what this offense needs. I cannot imagine what he would do with Dak (I’m a believer in Dak, but also think he’s being held back by Garrett in general and has the talent to play like he did in weeks 1-3 consistently when put in the right position against any level of competition), Zeke, pollard, Jarwin, Gallup and Cooper, and the O-line when healthy. Those are my top two candidates. Sorry for the lengthy post but when I start talkin the Dallas Cowboys I won’t stop. People question whether I’m a fan if I root for them to lose (I actually wanted them to lose as much as possible last year after the 3-5 start because I really thought that would have been it for Garrett). I care about the long term future of this team with the talent we have and the way we have been drafting, and I think they can get to the top, at least 1-3 times in the coming years. Garett is the only thing standing in the way. But I will never not be a cowboys fan. I couldn’t imagine rooting for another team.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Heard Paul Finebaum on Golic and Wingo today, also Stephen A Smith: On Golic and Wingo he said he was "100% certain that Riley would be coaching the Dallas Cowboys this time next year". He was asked the question by Golic and Wingo. On Stephen A Smith without prompting he said "he would be shocked if Riley wasn't the head coach in Dallas after this season". Take it FWIW, gotta think Finebaum has his share of contacts.
OU sucks!!!

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1st comment on this site in general. #1 goal is for the cowboys to win the super bowl this year. I was foolish to believe a Garrett coached team could do that. He is not a leader and not a winner and almost never has his team prepared for a game against average to above average opponents. Period. After 12 years this is now a fact.

Personally, I believe this team has the talent in all three phases (minus Maher) to win the super bowl, but is lacking the leader to get them there. I also believe that Jerry is starting to see the deficiencies in this team, evident with the hire of Kellen Moore. I think he thinks that Moore can be a special offensive coordinator (polar opposite of what this team had in quite some time), and saw that Linehan’s offense was disgusting to watch and archaic. The jury is out for me on Moore, but I loved Boise State’s offense in college and think he can be a very creative coordinator who can maximize the potential of this offense. I think we have still not seen his real potential because Garrett is the head coach and constraining him in at least some way. If this defense continues to struggle, I don’t see Jerry having any issues with getting rid of Rod and Richard and will go after a big time coach this offseason if that’s how this thing turns out. Our defense is timid and passive, and is almost never the aggressor. They have the main pieces to be successful, they are just not coached correctly and are put in an awful position to make plays. The lack of turnovers on this team over the years is a joke in such a pass happy league. I’m not stupid though, those players, and the entire defense, need to step up and play with their heads on fire.

With that said, #2 goal this year is for Garrett and almost this entire staff to be fired. I don’t care about early playoff exits (again) under his tenure anymore or not reaching the conference title game. Sadly, I’ve seen nothing this year to suggest that this team will win the super bowl. Yes it’s early, but Garrett has no record of ever being the difference maker (which is exactly what a head coach needs to be) for this team. I have a feeling Jerry will consider Saban. For some reason, I think these two could work well together and Saban is the type of coach that will have this team prepared to compete for championships. I’m well aware of Sabans history as a coach in the NFL, but he has lately shown a great willingness to adapt with the times and be successful at it. Alabama has stud players, but their scheme on offense is fun to watch when it’s running on all cylinders. And we know what he brings to the defensive side of the ball. Given the times, and the SEC, he knows how to have his defense defend the attacks we see today. I don’t care what kind of contract he signed at Alabama, if the cowboys come calling, you don’t turn that down. This is the pinnacle job in coaching for football, either pro or college, in my opinion. Jerry seems like he is going to go all in on Lincoln and make sure he hires a defensive coordinator whose been successful and will start to be the aggressor this defense needs. I like Riley a lot as a coach. What he has done at Oklahoma in the past three years and counting as head coach is fun to watch. Say what you want, but two Heisman winners and #1 overall picks in a row (and Hurts is in the running this year, and should be) is exactly what this offense needs. I cannot imagine what he would do with Dak (I’m a believer in Dak, but also think he’s being held back by Garrett in general and has the talent to play like he did in weeks 1-3 consistently when put in the right position against any level of competition), Zeke, pollard, Jarwin, Gallup and Cooper, and the O-line when healthy. Those are my top two candidates. Sorry for the lengthy post but when I start talkin the Dallas Cowboys I won’t stop. People question whether I’m a fan if I root for them to lose (I actually wanted them to lose as much as possible last year after the 3-5 start because I really thought that would have been it for Garrett). I care about the long term future of this team with the talent we have and the way we have been drafting, and I think they can get to the top, at least 1-3 times in the coming years. Garett is the only thing standing in the way. But I will never not be a cowboys fan. I couldn’t imagine rooting for another team.

Good first post.