Paul Finebaum on ESPN radio today talks Lincoln Riley Dallas Cowboys future

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Urban Meyer?

I disagree with TX having more advantages vs OU. Mack Brown ruined that team in the end and Strong was called in to clean up his mess. Not only did Strong start off with a weak and messy roster, he had zero recruiting contacts in TX like he did in the SE which is a big deal.

Since Mack also left him with a heap, he didn’t have recruits banging down his door like they used to at TX or any big program that has actually been winning.
Texas still had as much or more talent according to recruiting rankings in every school in the Big 12 from 2012-18 as they and OU are 1-2 in conference rankings. Some years Texas was 1 and others OU was. In fact in 2013, Texas was No. 2 nationally. So yes Texas did have prime talent and wasted it showing it takes talent to win.

Bottom line is yes Lincoln has had a plethora of talent to use, but he’s also taken that talent and made it better. Jalen Hurts was not this type of QB at Alabama and Baker was not going to be a #1 pick based off his work at Texas Tech.

and while most of the Big 12 is terrible defensively, TCU is typically top 15 in the country if not better due to Gary Patterson. He shuts just about everyone down, including some of Bob Stoops OU teams and Lincoln still is able to confuse him and make him look like a Conference USA team.

Rajveer

Reaction score
He's turning Jalen Hurts into a Heisman candidate.

That takes some doing.
That process had already started in Alabama. Hurts was much better throwing the ball later on in his career than when he first started.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Here’s why Lincoln Riley is overrated: When OU takes the field every Saturday, Riley usually has a talent advantage he will NEVER have in the NFL. It’s a lot easier to look like a genius against Kansas and Kansas State than against the Eagles. The talent disparity in college is HUGE compared to the NFL.

bingo!

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I’d love this but here is my issue...well not my issue but Jerry’s issue. He loves his own moves. Even if he is over JG, he loves him some Kellen Moore. So does he try and force a coach to take him?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
It might take considerably more than Jerry wanting him, imho.

It would also require him to be quite willing to work with Jerry.
If Jerry can bring arrogant pricks like Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcels to coach the Cowboys. Lincoln Riley would a piece of cake. Garrett has been here for almost 15 years. Working with Jerrah is not a problem.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If Jerry can bring arrogant pricks like Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcels to coach the Cowboys. Lincoln Riley would a piece of cake. Garrett has been here for almost 15 years. Working with Jerrah is not a problem.

Lincoln Riley would have to be willing to work for an arrogant and neutering dick in Jerry Jones. Let's consider that!

DoubleJHeat

Reaction score
If Riley wants to make the jump to the pros, it will be in Dallas. We got it all. He will have the QB,RB,WRs, Best O-line in football when healthy. There isn't a better place he could land. Jerry is gonna get the deal done. I find is so funny when Commander fans think he would go to Washington and ruin his career. Riley offense in Dallas will be legendary.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Lincoln Riley would have to be willing to work for an arrogant and neutering dick in Jerry Jones. Let's consider that, while we're at it.
We will see. The SEC guy would not make stuff up without hearing things.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
We will see. The SEC guy would not make stuff up without hearing things.

Hearing things and being correct about them are oftentimes two different things. 'We'll see' is just about right, though.

cwbyfn88

Reaction score
Heard Paul Finebaum on Golic and Wingo today, also Stephen A Smith: On Golic and Wingo he said he was "100% certain that Riley would be coaching the Dallas Cowboys this time next year". He was asked the question by Golic and Wingo. On Stephen A Smith without prompting he said "he would be shocked if Riley wasn't the head coach in Dallas after this season". Take it FWIW, gotta think Finebaum has his share of contacts.
It's definitely dang time for a change.

aria

Reaction score
Texas still had as much or more talent according to recruiting rankings in every school in the Big 12 from 2012-18 as they and OU are 1-2 in conference rankings. Some years Texas was 1 and others OU was. In fact in 2013, Texas was No. 2 nationally. So yes Texas did have prime talent and wasted it showing it takes talent to win.

Bottom line is yes Lincoln has had a plethora of talent to use, but he’s also taken that talent and made it better. Jalen Hurts was not this type of QB at Alabama and Baker was not going to be a #1 pick based off his work at Texas Tech.

and while most of the Big 12 is terrible defensively, TCU is typically top 15 in the country if not better due to Gary Patterson. He shuts just about everyone down, including some of Bob Stoops OU teams and Lincoln still is able to confuse him and make him look like a Conference USA team.
Still no mention of Urban Meyer, why not?

Hardline

Reaction score
Double good hire.
He's coaching my favorite NFL team
And not coaching against my favorite college team .

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Reilly would be a dream. The guy is a QB Guru in every sense of the word.

He would do wonders for this franchise

Is he a QB guru or does OU have a system in place since Stoops got there 2 decades ago that can make any QB look like a star? College is such a different game than the pros. Especially when you coach at top programs like OU where 3/4 of your schedule are gimme wins and you just out talent every team. You can't do that in the NFL week to week. Every team has a lot of talent. Yes some more than others but the discrepancy is not even close to what it is in college. Look at Baker and Murray in the pros. The last 2 heisman winners Riley coached at OU. They look like junk, especially Baker. Watching college games, especially when OU plays teams, there are soooo many WRs running free. Those QBs make minimal reads or decisions. They are just playing pitch and catch against vastly inferior teams.

I'd definitely want anyone at this point to replace Garrett because he should have been fired years ago but I am very hesitant on these college coaches and expecting them to be saviors.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1st comment on this site in general. #1 goal is for the cowboys to win the super bowl this year. I was foolish to believe a Garrett coached team could do that. He is not a leader and not a winner and almost never has his team prepared for a game against average to above average opponents. Period. After 12 years this is now a fact.

Personally, I believe this team has the talent in all three phases (minus Maher) to win the super bowl, but is lacking the leader to get them there. I also believe that Jerry is starting to see the deficiencies in this team, evident with the hire of Kellen Moore. I think he thinks that Moore can be a special offensive coordinator (polar opposite of what this team had in quite some time), and saw that Linehan’s offense was disgusting to watch and archaic. The jury is out for me on Moore, but I loved Boise State’s offense in college and think he can be a very creative coordinator who can maximize the potential of this offense. I think we have still not seen his real potential because Garrett is the head coach and constraining him in at least some way. If this defense continues to struggle, I don’t see Jerry having any issues with getting rid of Rod and Richard and will go after a big time coach this offseason if that’s how this thing turns out. Our defense is timid and passive, and is almost never the aggressor. They have the main pieces to be successful, they are just not coached correctly and are put in an awful position to make plays. The lack of turnovers on this team over the years is a joke in such a pass happy league. I’m not stupid though, those players, and the entire defense, need to step up and play with their heads on fire.

With that said, #2 goal this year is for Garrett and almost this entire staff to be fired. I don’t care about early playoff exits (again) under his tenure anymore or not reaching the conference title game. Sadly, I’ve seen nothing this year to suggest that this team will win the super bowl. Yes it’s early, but Garrett has no record of ever being the difference maker (which is exactly what a head coach needs to be) for this team. I have a feeling Jerry will consider Saban. For some reason, I think these two could work well together and Saban is the type of coach that will have this team prepared to compete for championships. I’m well aware of Sabans history as a coach in the NFL, but he has lately shown a great willingness to adapt with the times and be successful at it. Alabama has stud players, but their scheme on offense is fun to watch when it’s running on all cylinders. And we know what he brings to the defensive side of the ball. Given the times, and the SEC, he knows how to have his defense defend the attacks we see today. I don’t care what kind of contract he signed at Alabama, if the cowboys come calling, you don’t turn that down. This is the pinnacle job in coaching for football, either pro or college, in my opinion. Jerry seems like he is going to go all in on Lincoln and make sure he hires a defensive coordinator whose been successful and will start to be the aggressor this defense needs. I like Riley a lot as a coach. What he has done at Oklahoma in the past three years and counting as head coach is fun to watch. Say what you want, but two Heisman winners and #1 overall picks in a row (and Hurts is in the running this year, and should be) is exactly what this offense needs. I cannot imagine what he would do with Dak (I’m a believer in Dak, but also think he’s being held back by Garrett in general and has the talent to play like he did in weeks 1-3 consistently when put in the right position against any level of competition), Zeke, pollard, Jarwin, Gallup and Cooper, and the O-line when healthy. Those are my top two candidates. Sorry for the lengthy post but when I start talkin the Dallas Cowboys I won’t stop. People question whether I’m a fan if I root for them to lose (I actually wanted them to lose as much as possible last year after the 3-5 start because I really thought that would have been it for Garrett). I care about the long term future of this team with the talent we have and the way we have been drafting, and I think they can get to the top, at least 1-3 times in the coming years. Garett is the only thing standing in the way. But I will never not be a cowboys fan. I couldn’t imagine rooting for another team.
Welcome to the forum!

HungryLion

Reaction score
Honestly, it would piss me off. Imagine wasting the career of the most prolific passer in franchise history on a coach-in-training who didn’t work out.

Keeping Garret around isn’t going to make it work out.

This team is not going to win a super bowl with Garret as head coach.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news