Paul Finebaum on ESPN radio today talks Lincoln Riley Dallas Cowboys future

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That process had already started in Alabama. Hurts was much better throwing the ball later on in his career than when he first started.

Eh, not really. Hurts lost his job to Tua and he should have lost that job long before he did. He was putrid throwing the ball. I still can't believe its the same guy at OU. Clearly, he had the ability but Bama loses a coaching staff every off season and Saban is no Qb coach. Riley did the same thing with Baker who was a Texas Tech washout and Kyler Murray who made people miss Johney Manziel at A & M. So, Its not like Hurts is the first guy Riley has turned around.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
So you think Riley's offense wont work in Dallas?

If he Runs a Hybrid of AirRaid and incorporates some NFL concepts i think it can Succeed... but if you look at True Air Raid Mike Leach or what Kliff is running, i dont think it will work. Linemen are split wider which opens bigger gaps for dline penetration which is why Kyler Murray is getting killed in NFL. running a-lot of bubble screens crossing routes etc as running plays... will not work in nfl DL and LB are too fast.

Rajveer

Reaction score
Eh, not really. Hurts lost his job to Tua and he should have lost that job long before he did. He was putrid throwing the ball. I still can't believe its the same guy at OU. Clearly, he had the ability but Bama loses a coaching staff every off season and Saban is no Qb coach. Riley did the same thing with Baker who was a Texas Tech washout and Kyler Murray who made people miss Johney Manziel at A & M. So, Its not like Hurts is the first guy Riley has turned around.
I am not denying that Riley is a good QB coach. All I said was Hurt's turn around started in Alabama itself. I am not sure if you follow this team, but Tua got hurt in one of the playoff games and Hurts went in and started throwing the ball around and got the win. He was a different QB in that game. His progress had started in Alabama itself and went to another level in Oklahoma.

erod

Reaction score
Honestly, it would piss me off. Imagine wasting the career of the most prolific passer in franchise history on a coach-in-training who didn’t work out.

Most prolific passer?

LOL, you mean other than Meredith, Staubach, White, Aikman, and Romo.

LOL, wow.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Most prolific passer?

LOL, you mean other than Meredith, Staubach, White, Aikman, and Romo.

LOL, wow.

I’m talking about Romo. Wouldn’t it suck to waste Romo’s career on a coach-in-training who ends up leaving before ever getting past the divisional round?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not denying that Riley is a good QB coach. All I said was Hurt's turn around started in Alabama itself. I am not sure if you follow this team, but Tua got hurt in one of the playoff games and Hurts went in and started throwing the ball around and got the win. He was a different QB in that game. His progress had started in Alabama itself and went to another level in Oklahoma.

I haven't missed an Alabama game in 17 years. So, yeah, I kinda know the player. The performance against UGA to which you refer had more to do with what UGA was doing than what Hurts was doing.

Rajveer

Reaction score
I haven't missed an Alabama game in 17 years. So, yeah, I kinda know the player. The performance against UGA to which you refer had more to do with what UGA was doing than what Hurts was doing.
Well I am no football guru, so I will take your word for it. :) Roll Tide!!

erod

Reaction score
I’m talking about Romo. Wouldn’t it suck to waste Romo’s career on a coach-in-training who ends up leaving before ever getting past the divisional round?
Ah, gotcha.

Yeah, that would be sad. I will say this for Garrett....he did finally convince Jerry to stop ignoring the offensive and defensive lines early in the draft and build a younger roster. That will be Garrett's positive legacy amidst a bunch of failure.

Mannix

Reaction score
--------2 shots at the National tittle and lost both times!

Really? He had no where near the team that Alabama, Georgia, or Clemson did....you really faulting him for not winning a NC???

alicetooljam

Reaction score
Heard Paul Finebaum on Golic and Wingo today, also Stephen A Smith: On Golic and Wingo he said he was "100% certain that Riley would be coaching the Dallas Cowboys this time next year". He was asked the question by Golic and Wingo. On Stephen A Smith without prompting he said "he would be shocked if Riley wasn't the head coach in Dallas after this season". Take it FWIW, gotta think Finebaum has his share of contacts.

Bold, hollow, proclamations...what else is SAS good for? Lincoln isnt going anywhere....book it.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
Okay, that is something. He's had a few good College QBs, a pretty impressive record(29-4 as a HC is what I've found)..but his teams seem to fall short of the big ones. 0-2 in bowl games and 0-2 in the Playoffs.

I just have seen his name thrown about over the last couple of years, and literally had no idea why folks are obsessed with him

He inherited Stoops brother as D coordinator...he just hired his own and theyll get better players/results on that side of the ball, give him another year or 2....having said that, hes not leaving Oklahoma any time soon....Dallas vacancy or not.