Twitter: Payton on Cowboys final play

75boyz

Reaction score
I was just joking.

I do think Payton may be an slight upgrade over MM. The whole "I am an analytics guy, watch me elect to receive every game" was enough to show he can just BS Jerry.

I really want them to dedicate to have an identity and stick to it. If it is strong trenches, have the best coaches and talent in the trenches, if it is emulating the greatest show on turf or the 2013 Broncos, you better have elite skill players, etc.

They get wrapped up in people versus philosophy.

Totally understood ya bro. My hope was in response to Risen that the CZ population that knows that nothing will ever change as long as there's a Jones in charge, still needs to have something to post about or why have a Forum?

Baby steps I guess you'd call it.

And for entertainment purposes only from here on out at this point.

Plus, I just don't like McCheese too.

jmo

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Anyone that still defends the play call to run the ball is a lost cause. The coaching staff is braindead for calling that play. End of story.

shabazz

Reaction score
But MM said that was the correct way to do it and that's how they practice it twice every week.

they should have stationed the practice ref 20 yards behind the play to allow for the time for him to show up to the party

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They had the timeouts. Different situation, but agreed , we didnt have a play to throw and complete a pass to the sideline to move the ball or our QB couldnt do it
Did you see the defensive alignment. The DB's were aligned to prevent the pass to the sideline. The middle was open, which is why the run up the middle was called. It really wasn't a bad call with the goal being to move the ball closer for an easier throw rather than a deep throw it up for grabs, but the execution was bad.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone that still defends the play call to run the ball is a lost cause. The coaching staff is braindead for calling that play. End of story.
I can defend the play call, I just can't defend the execution. The play call should have had the same result as a 10 yard sideline pattern, but the sideline pattern wasn't available because the DB's were positioned to prevent it. The team (Dak mainly) just did a terrible job of executing it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And that’s been my question all along. Why didn’t we look to hand ball to a ref. We weren’t even looking for one . There was enough time if we had.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, if Payton was here that play wouldn't have happened and we still be playing :thumbup:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And that’s been my question all along. Why didn’t we look to hand ball to a ref. We weren’t even looking for one . There was enough time if we had.
Either they weren't coached well on the play, or they just choked it on the field. If Dak had gone down a few yards earlier and they had handed the ball to the ref after the slide they would have clearly had time.

Blackrain

Reaction score
…….agree with his assessment, but having to run 15 yards back to where you came from just to hand it to a ref that suddenly figured he was supposed to actually follow the play, can be a bit time consuming

All true if that was the official that was responsible for spotting the ball he needed to keep up with the freaking play.

He showed a total lack of urgency with only a few seconds left and squandered our opportunity as slim as it may have been

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Either they weren't coached well on the play, or they just choked it on the field. If Dak had gone down a few yards earlier and they had handed the ball to the ref after the slide they would have clearly had time.
Right

Not even sure he needed to slide sooner. There was 8 seconds.

No one looked for a Ref. And even got in his Refs way costing a couple more seconds .

Blackrain

Reaction score
So when exactly does Prescott no longer have to learn to be an NFL QB? Year 10? 12?

Hard to say must be something with this franchise because it sure took Romo a while before he got it down.

And by that time his body was done

lostar2009

Reaction score
The details of the game is what KM is missing. Being promoted up so quickly someone will not recieve that knowledge.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
This dude obviously is all in on coaching here.

He just isn't better than what we already have. He's proven that.

Payton is a football guy. He calls the offense and dictates just about everything when it comes to the team. This is exactly what the Cowboys need. I coach that won't have to dictate to Jerry.

McCarthy is nothing more than a "YES" man. Play Zeke more over Pollard. DONE. Put back Collins at RT over Steele. DONE. Don't tell Moore what to do. He's the OC. DONE.

If Payton was here any bad call the refs make he will make it known his pissed. McCarthy just goes on his merry way like Santa during Christmas.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The most infuriating part is you know Kellen drew that idiotic play up thinking it was some genius and innovative move, and McCarthy signed off on it. And both of those guys are coming back here next season.

For the life of me, I just can’t find excitement or optimism for this team right now.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Maybe because he was in the next zip code when he should have been on top of the play

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right

Not even sure he needed to slide sooner. There was 8 seconds.

No one looked for a Ref. And even got in his Refs way costing a couple more seconds .
Definitely was time even with Dak running as far as he did, but there wasn't any room for error with him running that far. 5-6 yards shorter would have allowed the team to get lined up faster and for the ref to get there a little quicker.

Of course, they still needed to hand the ball to the ref. That was the biggest goof.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe because he was in the next zip code when he should have been on top of the play
The ref isn't supposed to be running on Dak's hip for 17 yards. He starts several yards behind to begin with and watches for penalties. Dak just ran away from him.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Was not a bad play call. Was just at the wrong time.. mid 3rd quarter it would have been a good call. Then roll him out and if he has open field take it again. Get them up to the line and hit a seam route..