Twitter: Payton on Cowboys final play

FTWayne

Reaction score
Anyone that still defends the play call to run the ball is a lost cause. The coaching staff is braindead for calling that play. End of story.
how do we know they called it? has anyone come out and said it was a QB run?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the ref has to be aware of situational football, just like the players. He has to know that with mere seconds left on the clock that he has to be nearer than he was…..just the the official were in the Rams game

I don’t believe it was intentional and part of a conspiracy against the Cowboys. I merely believe that a ref failed to realize the urgency that was required at this time of the game and got caught trying to leap frog over Dakota to get into position…..he should be just behind the 350 pound lineman at worst.

no doubt the Officials leadership and NFL front office discussed this prior to the Rams game and they made sure that it was done in a more efficient way……again I’m still not making excuses for the Cowboys level of play. Just critical of this one specific incident.
It's the job of the offense to understand the refs duties and plan accordingly. The ref doesn't know the play or plan, and he can't just abandon his duties based on an assumption of what the offense will do.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For the great majority of the game I can agree with that but when there's 14 seconds left and he knows it's his job to spot the ball and the offense is trying to clock it the circumstances alter the case and he should have made it a point to be closer to the ball so time would not run out
The ref's responsibility to be in a certain place looking for certain things, and that doesn't change. The offense has to know that and plan accordingly, and of course the ref has no way to know what the offensive play call will be. That said, he was trying to hurry to spot the ball when Dak went down, but during the play he had to fill his duties first.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
I'm all in in Payton if he can fix the cowboys front running mentality. That's been an issue since 19.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The ref's responsibility to be in a certain place looking for certain things, and that doesn't change. The offense has to know that and plan accordingly, and of course the ref has no way to know what the offensive play call will be. That said, he was trying to hurry to spot the ball when Dak went down, but during the play he had to fill his duties first.

You mentioned that "R" word the conspiracy crowd doesn't take kindly to: responsibility. Always someone else's fault for things not working out.