Penalties & Team Winning

speedkilz88

Reaction score

EC6lFGGU8AAWgPo

EC6lFVYVUAAsh8o

AdamJT13

Many fans already knew that Dallas' opponents had the fewest penalty yards and second-fewest penalties last season. But despite being 22nd in penalty yards and 21st in penalties themselves, the Cowboys were hurt by their own penalties more than any other team. (Via @NinerStatsR)

This is based on Win Percentage Added (WPA). Essentially, the Cowboys' penalties hurt their chances of winning more than any other team's penalties hurt their chances, even though Dallas was called for fewer penalties (and for fewer yards) than most teams.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
So why did our penalties hurt worse? The time they occurred? Yardage lost/not gained? What was it?

I’ll guess they were game changing penalties like the illegal pretend fake sub and the false start on the long snapper.

GenoT

Reaction score
Lack of preparation + lack of accountability = lotsa soul-sucking penalties.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Simply put it's the refs.

I'm not sure the reason, but we have had the least amount of penalties called against our opponents since 2013.
So true. I don't care what people say. After that 2016 loss to the green bay packers. That was the most one sided screw job I've ever seen. Saints fans are mad and everything but it was one call. The playoff loss to the packers was 4 calls that if any one of them were called correctly we would have won the game.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Refs have been attacked with accusations of a bias against the Cowboys. A counter attack is being planned as we speak.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Lack of preparation + lack of accountability = lotsa soul-sucking penalties.

Blaming lack of preparation and accountability as the reason for other teams not getting penalties called on them is....... about as ****ing stupid as you can sound

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
So true. I don't care what people say. After that 2016 loss to the green bay packers. That was the most one sided screw job I've ever seen. Saints fans are mad and everything but it was one call. The playoff loss to the packers was 4 calls that if any one of them were called correctly we would have won the game.

We've had what? 3 penalties/ruling in the last four seasons called against us that hadn't heard of in 20+ years

GenoT

Reaction score
Blaming lack of preparation and accountability as the reason for other teams not getting penalties called on them is....... about as ****ing stupid as you can sound
With your own lame-axx/no-nothing expertise being employed in judgement, I consider this a compliment.

Thanks!

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
With your own lame-axe/no-nothing expertise being used as judgement, I consider this a compliment.

Thanks!

It's know* nothing lmao

I take it back, you've now one upped yourself on sounding stupid.

You're welcome! Do better

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
We've had what? 3 penalties/ruling in the last four seasons called against us that hadn't heard of in 20+ years
Man I watched that 2016 game with a bunch of the homies. Most were giants fans. 1 falcons fan, an eagles fan, and a couple cowboys fans. Not one person heard of that huddle penalty.

cern

Reaction score
The 2019 season has not yet begun. Stats about last year are interesting, but not necessarily relevant.