Per Ed Werner - Garrett wanted Linehan gone last year

InTheZone

Reaction score
Last off-season Jason Garrett attempted to move on from Linehan and Jerry not only denied that request but increased Linehan responsibility & power. Also, Garrett was more involved with play calling duties late in year and if Dallas doesn't get OC they want....Garrett will call plays in 2019.
if this is even true then no real HC would ever want to come here. If I'm HC I have control over all players, QB included, and assistant coaches. And judging by how Linehan planned around what JG wanted I still believe JG is the problem.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We are talking about Stephen who tight with the money. I hope he is not this year in FA but history says otherwise. I want the Cowboys to spend wisely.
Being tight with money on free agents....fair enough. Those contracts have a history of biting teams in the but. But for coaches? That's a all-time low.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Last off-season Jason Garrett attempted to move on from Linehan and Jerry not only denied that request but increased Linehan responsibility & power. Also, Garrett was more involved with play calling duties late in year and if Dallas doesn't get OC they want....Garrett will call plays in 2019.
I actually think Ed Werner is full of ****.
So there’s that

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I heard this too. Garrett wanted him gone but Stephen and Jerry didn’t want to pay him and another coach.
Weird, how Jerry is "penny-pinching" with coaches.

So Jerry***
JERRY! JERRY? Are you reading this? Be cool if you did...
This is to your business side:

Let's spend millions on talent and penny-pinch on their instructors/strategists, yes?
Why not?

There are some things that make me just...
Walk away from this team...

And then I hear old Mr. Campbell...
We watch the Cowboys, son! They every Sunday! It's a battle! A battle of wits and guts!
Winning... losing... that's not the point!
The point is that we made this time together.
That we shared this time together.
Not just you and me, but those we're with!
It's those moments!

And one day... we'll be together again.
And we will root for our Cowboys together! Again!

Shoot... I started ranting again, didn't I?
Apologies.
Just thinking about how I became a fan of this team and how I'll stay.

Reaction score
Well yes and no. Hiring him to begin with was the problem.

idk man.. he wasnt the best, but is the only guy I heard the dudes on T.V giving props to. No one else saw the wide open play designs with Dak missing them? Don't think we're gonna find anyone who calls a QB draw on 3rd and 14

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
idk man.. he wasnt the best, but is the only guy I heard the dudes on T.V giving props to. No one else saw the wide open play designs with Dak missing them? Don't think we're gonna find anyone who calls a QB draw on 3rd and 14

He was terrible in Detroit too with Calvin Johnson there.

He may not even deserve the blame but this team went out of its way to not play to its strengths. From Dak to Zeke. This team was adamant on playing one way and not using their streets. I'm not asking for 20 runs from Dak but its clear he plays well outside of the pocket. No RPO's.....no nothing. LInehan may be the scapegoat but we know Garrett isn't going anywhere so all we can do is hope that getting a new OC does SOMETHING.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

I'd like to hear about the history on support for Linehan from the team.
Reports from the Fake News mean nothing to me.

Linehan was Garrett's guy. Perfect for Garrett's assistant, as there was no credibility to him ever becoming a HC again. No threat to Garrett.

And once Linehan is dumped, all of a sudden a story comes out that Garrett had wanted to dump Linehan, but Jerry forced Garrett's guy on Garrett.

Could be true, but sounds like BS to me.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
That's just a damn shame a head coach having no control of his ball club. Just how did those contract talks go anyway... Jason you get the title of head coach but I run the ball club and I hold your balls in my hand. Don't know if I could stand on the NFL sideline clapping after I've been neutered.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He may not even deserve the blame but this team went out of its way to not play to its strengths. From Dak to Zeke.

I'm interested in knowing who was making the call to keep Dak in the pocket and not really use his running skills.

At least some of the criticism of Linehan may be unfair. He may have been constrained on the play calling by others.

Reaction score
He was terrible in Detroit too with Calvin Johnson there.

He may not even deserve the blame but this team went out of its way to not play to its strengths. From Dak to Zeke. This team was adamant on playing one way and not using their streets. I'm not asking for 20 runs from Dak but its clear he plays well outside of the pocket. No RPO's.....no nothing. LInehan may be the scapegoat but we know Garrett isn't going anywhere so all we can do is hope that getting a new OC does SOMETHING.

Ya i suppose that makes me feel slightly better for next season, but I just dont think its the cancer of this team. Also, I hope it wasnt done because of fans as i've seen all of us been wrong on here way too many times.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm interested in knowing who was making the call to keep Dak in the pocket and not really use his running skills.

At least some of the criticism of Linehan may be unfair. He may have been constrained on the play calling by others.
That is possible. Like I said above, he may have been a scapegoat. I'm not as excited about getting rid of Linehan like most are. Not that I think he's replaceable....but just because I expect the same thing we got with him that we got with Callahan.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ya i suppose that makes me feel slightly better for next season, but I just dont think its the cancer of this team. Also, I hope it wasnt done because of fans as i've seen all of us been wrong on here way too many times.
It probably was. Fans want Garrett gone.......they took the approach of getting rid of the bigger of two evils.

Bigdog

Reaction score
And btw, I wasn't disagreeing with. I hope they aren't being cheap but I Don't even know anymore especially with Stephen. I think I dislike Stephen more than Jerry.
I know you weren’t. I like Stephen’s approach sometimes but there are times where you don’t need to be so frugal and spend some money to win.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
living with Jerry's meddling is pre-requisite for any HC in dallas. its very surprising that Garrett has been able to last with Jerry and not leave earlier.

Reaction score
Practice makes perfect and I would def say that Dak has improved as a pocket passer and which he is going to have to do once in a while to succeed in this dam league
It probably was. Fans want Garrett gone.......they took the approach of getting rid of the bigger of two evils.

Fans didnt want LVE either lol....Dak just cant run all the dam time that will be stopped by good defenses and he will get injured. Idc what anyone says, but practice makes perfect and Dak has def made an improvement at pocket passing which he is going to have to do once in a while to succeed in this league..