Per Ed Werner - Garrett wanted Linehan gone last year

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Practice makes perfect and I would def say that Dak has improved as a pocket passer and which he is going to have to do once in a while to succeed in this dam league

Fans didnt want LVE either lol....Dak just cant run all the dam time that will be stopped by good defenses and he will get injured. Idc what anyone says, but practice makes perfect and Dak has def made an improvement at pocket passing which he is going to have to do once in a while to succeed in this league..

Dak has average at best talent as a power. What can separate him is his ability to move. He doesn’t have to run all the time but moving out of the pocket and sometimes running is needed.

Wood

Reaction score
I'd like to hear about the history on support for Linehan from the team.
Reports from the Fake News mean nothing to me.

Linehan was Garrett's guy. Perfect for Garrett's assistant, as there was no credibility to him ever becoming a HC again. No threat to Garrett.

And once Linehan is dumped, all of a sudden a story comes out that Garrett had wanted to dump Linehan, but Jerry forced Garrett's guy on Garrett.

Could be true, but sounds like BS to me.

I wouldn't be so sure. After Jerry increased Linehan power last year he fired three of Jason coaches.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Last off-season Jason Garrett attempted to move on from Linehan and Jerry not only denied that request but increased Linehan responsibility & power. Also, Garrett was more involved with play calling duties late in year and if Dallas doesn't get OC they want....Garrett will call plays in 2019.

BS - garrett said linehan is coming back. clearly his choice.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Last off-season Jason Garrett attempted to move on from Linehan and Jerry not only denied that request but increased Linehan responsibility & power. Also, Garrett was more involved with play calling duties late in year and if Dallas doesn't get OC they want....Garrett will call plays in 2019.
wood how do you know Garrett wanted him gone?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure. After Jerry increased Linehan power last year he fired three of Jason coaches.

"he"?

The changes on the offensive coaching staff were Linehan's call? I've never heard that. Who on the team has said that?

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
BS - garrett said linehan is coming back. clearly his choice.
He sure did. Than Stephen said it was too early to make any coaching changes. Then Garrett changed his tune and said he "doesn't even remember saying that". REALLY?! It hasn't even been a week and all of a sudden Garrett has a case of Amnesia? :angry:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Source?

waldoputty

Reaction score
He sure did. Than Stephen said it was too early to make any coaching changes. Then Garrett changed his tune and said he "doesn't even remember saying that". REALLY?! It hasn't even been a week and all of a sudden Garrett has a case of Amnesia? :angry:

instead of amnesia, he needs a coronary

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
That is possible. Like I said above, he may have been a scapegoat. I'm not as excited about getting rid of Linehan like most are. Not that I think he's replaceable....but just because I expect the same thing we got with him that we got with Callahan.

I've always thought that Linehan was here to be the guy Garrett throws under the bus. Scapegoat for hire. Garrett brought him in. Linehan takes the fall for the guy who brought him in. The usual corporate move.

I do wonder just how much control Linehan had over the offense, from running Dak, to changing the scheme. How much was he constrained by Garrett? How much did he control himself?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did Werder bother to source this rumor this time? Or are we just good? Was it a Cowboys source, at least? Or do we know? Who'd win a credibility fight between Werder and Rapoport? I say Werder. No, wait. Rapoport.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Yo gotta be kidding me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That's doesn't add up to me at all.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

All teams are run this way.

cowboyec

Reaction score
but didn't werder say Linehan had his involvement in game plans reduced late in the year...by Garrett???

werder is all over the map.
JG wanted to fire him...JJ over-ruled and gave him more.
JG late in the year decreases Linehan's game planning duties....sooo...JJ what??? just let it happen???
if thats true then why over rule Garrett...what changed???
is werder trying to fill in gaps that he isnt really privy to??

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
as someone correctly said. You coach the Dallas Cowboys and they know your name in China (might have been Sean Payton who said that). I truly think Garrett bleeds blue and wants to see this team win Super Bowl and is willing to put his ego aside to see it happen.
For 5 million plus I would eat my ego.