Per Ed Werner - Garrett wanted Linehan gone last year

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So your saying that Garrett simply gave up because he didn't get what he wanted last year? Figured he wouldn't get it again?

And you think this paints Garrett in a good light? That confirms that he is nothing but a puppet. A puppet that has given up and doesn't even bother to keep pushing to make the team better.
Anyone can push for just so hard and for so long. One thing posters commented on during the season that I noticed as well was Garrett's change in demeanor on the sideline. He seemed to be faking the happiness or maybe that was real and the only good thing was interacting with the players. But he changed from 2017 to 2018 and had a better season with a turnaround, he should have been much happier.

One thing that is interesting about this is that every player knows how all of this is working behind the scenes and the situation Garrett is in with the Joneses. They see the interaction and involvement of Booger & Son. But what's important, I believe, is that they see the problem is not their HC but the people he works for and that is why they seem to rally to him. I think they do see him in a puppet role and since most have never had real jobs do not understand how that works because this is the only NFL team with so much hands on by the owner.

I wonder if Garrett wouldn't just as soon pack up and ride away or does he have a much stronger attachment to Booger than just his boss? Has he really become one of the family?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Anyone can push for just so hard and for so long. One thing posters commented on during the season that I noticed as well was Garrett's change in demeanor on the sideline. He seemed to be faking the happiness or maybe that was real and the only good thing was interacting with the players. But he changed from 2017 to 2018 and had a better season with a turnaround, he should have been much happier.

One thing that is interesting about this is that every player knows how all of this is working behind the scenes and the situation Garrett is in with the Joneses. They see the interaction and involvement of Booger & Son. But what's important, I believe, is that they see the problem is not their HC but the people he works for and that is why they seem to rally to him. I think they do see him in a puppet role and since most have never had real jobs do not understand how that works because this is the only NFL team with so much hands on by the owner.

I wonder if Garrett wouldn't just as soon pack up and ride away or does he have a much stronger attachment to Booger than just his boss? Has he really become one of the family?

Anyone with any stones would have left already. But Garrett the puppet continues to get embarrassed and stay anyway.

And lets not talk about this notion that Garrett wanted him fired last year like its fact. The only person that report this was Werder. Those that support Garrett are holding onto it like it gospel.

zekecowboy

Reaction score

His strong attachment is $6 million dollars per year. I could put up with a lot on my job for that kind of compensation!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And Linehan was obviously a Garrett guy...
Not so obvious, remember the Joneses do the hiring and firing of coaches, that is painfully clear now. Knowing Booger's relationship with his QB at the time, Linehan could have been a Romo guy because of his having called the most pass plays the previous 5 years in DET.

If Garrett has been in on the job training, when is that complete in the eyes of the owner? And remember, this is an owner that wants his own ring worse than all of the others. Think he didn't blink at letting the public know he's still the man, calls all the shots? HC's do as their told or they don't coach the Cowboys.

khiladi

Reaction score
Not so obvious, remember the Joneses do the hiring and firing of coaches, that is painfully clear now. Knowing Booger's relationship with his QB at the time, Linehan could have been a Romo guy because of his having called the most pass plays the previous 5 years in DET.

If Garrett has been in on the job training, when is that complete in the eyes of the owner? And remember, this is an owner that wants his own ring worse than all of the others. Think he didn't blink at letting the public know he's still the man, calls all the shots? HC's do as their told or they don't coach the Cowboys.

Linehan was the compromise with Garrett per Jerry after Jason kept interfering with Callahan. He basically said they don’t want to change the offense and Linehan allows them to do that. Jerry also mentioned specifically that a Linehan would actually run the ball and pointed out that coaches claim they feel it is important, but don’t do it. I’m pretty sure he was alluding to Garrett.

Jerry was willing enough to give Callahan the shot after one year here.

Jason coaches under Linehan in Miami.

One thing is pretty obvious and that is, the OC changed were obviously done when Romo got the new contract and Garrett proved himself incompetent. Romo probably led to these changes and Garrett probably resented it. And ironically in Dallas first year with Linehan and Romo together they threw the least amount of pass attempts and were the top rushing team.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone with any stones would have left already. But Garrett the puppet continues to get embarrassed and stay anyway.

And lets not talk about this notion that Garrett wanted him fired last year like its fact. The only person that report this was Werder. Those that support Garrett are holding onto it like it gospel.
Agree, that's why I am not putting a lot in this being gospel. Most of it doesn't make sense but since when has that stopped us?

And it might not be stones, it might be something stronger than that for Garrett. He's known this family for 25 years, he connected with them more than anyone associated with the team back then and his wife is best friends with Boogerette, he is part of the family. If that is true, then his actions would not be based on ego or hurt feelings but on his feelings for them and especially Booger. We really don't know the depth of their relationship but we hear Garrett being denied changing out his OC and Booger actually going one step further and then he says Garrett would have at least 5 job offers for HC. Does any of this make sense?

One thing I do know, Roy, when I've watched Garrett on the dais with Booger & Son, if I didn't know which was the son, I couldn't tell from the way they both look at him.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Linehan was the compromise with Garrett per Jerry after Jason kept interfering with Callahan. He basically said they don’t want to change the offense and Linehan allows them to do that. Jerry also mentioned specifically that a Linehan would actually run the ball and pointed out that coaches claim they feel it is important, but don’t do it. I’m pretty sure he was alluding to Garrett.

Jerry was willing enough to give Callahan the shot after one year here.

Jason coaches under Linehan in Miami.

One thing is pretty obvious and that is, the OC changed were obviously done when Romo got the new contract and Garrett proved himself incompetent. Romo probably led to these changes and Garrett probably resented it. And ironically in Dallas first year with Linehan and Romo together they threw the least amount of pass attempts and were the top rushing team.
Is that why Garrett and Romo were seen out in public together? Garrett resented him.

The riff didn't take place until Romo felt Garrett didn't back him in getting his job back. That was never Garrett's call and Romo knew that but he didn't feel that Garrett fought hard enough for him.

Think back on that. Have you ever heard of the QB1 not being able to have the chance to regain his job except with Bledsoe in NE? Romo wasn't a Booger guy, he was a Garrett guy. And Booger resented Romo's agent taking advantage of the old fool shooting his mouth off during the negotiation and forcing him to draft OL in the 1st as part of the deal. Booger loved having Romo as the center ring attraction and willingness to sell out on every play but when the chance came to move on from him with the super find and bragging rights to drafting superiority fell into his lap, he seized that opportunity and denied Romo the chance to even compete for his old job.

khiladi

Reaction score
Is that why Garrett and Romo were seen out in public together? Garrett resented him.

The riff didn't take place until Romo felt Garrett didn't back him in getting his job back. That was never Garrett's call and Romo knew that but he didn't feel that Garrett fought hard enough for him.

Think back on that. Have you ever heard of the QB1 not being able to have the chance to regain his job except with Bledsoe in NE? Romo wasn't a Booger guy, he was a Garrett guy. And Booger resented Romo's agent taking advantage of the old fool shooting his mouth off during the negotiation and forcing him to draft OL in the 1st as part of the deal. Booger loved having Romo as the center ring attraction and willingness to sell out on every play but when the chance came to move on from him with the super find and bragging rights to drafting superiority fell into his lap, he seized that opportunity and denied Romo the chance to even compete for his old job.

Garrett followed Romo around, because of the latter’s growing influence in the organization. He was a politician.

The fact Garrett stopped following Romo around after Dak got the job is a proof against your argument. As soon as he saw his ticket in Dak, he wasn’t seen anywhere around Romo.

Garrett didn’t even have a Romo in game-planning meetings until Jerry forced it from on top. Jerry is the guy that gave Romo more power, not Garrett thus the term “Peyton-like” responsibilities. Garrett himself had to sell this by saying it makes sense that the QB be involved in it. Wade Wilson himself said that Romo’s concepts would now be implemented more in the offense.

Garrett is the one that was losing out with more responsibility with Romo.

And Garrett was feuding with Callahan and interfering with him and Romo was on good terms with Callahan. Jerry himself said that he chose Frederick because of Romo’s input. And Frederick was personally worked out by Callahan and Jason and Stephen still thought that Floyd was going to be picked first.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
There's no image of dysfunction.

It became apparent the Cowboys were a dysfunctional organization the day Jerry forced a two-time defending SB champion head coach out the door and replaced him with Barry bleepin' Switzer.
C’mon Switzer wasn’t completely hammered when he got the call like sources claimed

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So your saying that Garrett simply gave up because he didn't get what he wanted last year? Figured he wouldn't get it again?

And you think this paints Garrett in a good light? That confirms that he is nothing but a puppet. A puppet that has given up and doesn't even bother to keep pushing to make the team better.
Maybe. Picking and choosing your battles can be seen as a puppet....it depends.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Jerry was forced to make this move due to public outcry. I have been fan of Cowboys for long time and I can't remember a time where there was such level of hostility toward a coach.
Wade Phillips

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Garrett followed Romo around, because of the latter’s growing influence in the organization. He was a politician.

The fact Garrett stopped following Romo around after Dak got the job is a proof against your argument. As soon as he saw his ticket in Dak, he wasn’t seen anywhere around Romo.

Garrett didn’t even have a Romo in game-planning meetings until Jerry forced it from on top. Jerry is the guy that gave Romo more power, not Garrett thus the term “Peyton-like” responsibilities. Garrett himself had to sell this by saying it makes sense that the QB be involved in it. Wade Wilson himself said that Romo’s concepts would now be implemented more in the offense.

Garrett is the one that was losing out with more responsibility with Romo.

And Garrett was feuding with Callahan and interfering with him and Romo was on good terms with Callahan. Jerry himself said that he chose Frederick because of Romo’s input. And Frederick was personally worked out by Callahan and Jason and Stephen still thought that Floyd was going to be picked first.
:laugh::lmao::lmao::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao::lmao2::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: