Peter King: Jadeveon Clowney won't play for less than $15 million

joseephuss

Reaction score
This all seems illogical to me. If he sits out an entire season he obviously misses out on any money this year. Even if it were only $9 million, that is a significant amount that he will never get back. Teams next year may pursue him, but I doubt anyone is going to want him at $20 million per season or anything close to that number. He may find it difficult to get $15 million per season next year. He must have a good investment portfolio because he is costing himself NFL money right now.

https://titanswire.usatoday.com/202...-15-million-tennessee-titans-browns-seahawks/

Peter King: Jadeveon Clowney won't play for less than $15 million

NBC Sports’ Peter King relayed a bit of information about Jadeveon Clowney during an appearance on The Midday 180 show on Wednesday.

King believes that Clowney wants at least $15 million in 2020, and if he doesn’t get it, he won’t play this season.

.@peter_king told @Midday180 he thinks @clownejd wants $15 million and if he doesn't get it he won't play. #Titans

— Paul Kuharsky (@PaulKuharskyNFL) August 19, 2020

ESPN’s Kimberley A. Martin reported on August 14 that Clowney had turned down offers of $15 million or more and his initial asking price was upwards of $20 million. It isn’t clear how long ago he rejected those offers, though.

Martin also noted that teams believe Clowney could end up with “half his asking price” if he continues to wait, and him sitting out the season isn’t being ruled out as a possibility.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Considering he hasn't done much that jumps off a FO scouting report, sitting a year could make it worse and could pretty much make him a "pariah".

kskboys

Reaction score
Yup. This was already known.

SEA offered him around 15 for a one year deal and he turned it down.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
its an ego thing

and some of you guys complain about Dak... Dak at 35 is a better deal than clowney at 10, let alone 15

In his first 80 games JJ Watt had 80 sacks. In 75 games Clowney has 32 sacks. Watt's contract is for about $16.7 mil a year.

No way Clowney is worth $15 mil...

Rayman70

Reaction score
SO HE WONT PLAY. He's a punk, all about HIMSELF. Then again, this is a nonstory by King. We on the zone kinda already figured this out a month ago.

Flamma

Reaction score
I think he just wants to take the season off for whatever reason. No other way to explain it.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Awfully bold move for a guy with 32 career sacks. Offer him a minimum contract with a performance bonus of $1M per sack. I bet he wouldn't take it.

Flamma

Reaction score
Awfully bold move for a guy with 32 career sacks. Offer him a minimum contract with a performance bonus of $1M per sack. I bet he wouldn't take it.

Of course he wouldn't take it. This is his way of opting out but would consider a high pay day to go through the trouble.

John813

Reaction score
Someone with a big head and getting bad advice = sitting out the 2020 season with no contract.

Oh and 2021 may have a stagnant/slightly reduced cap ceiling.

CapnB

Reaction score
Yeah cause sitting out this year is going to have teams just lining up next FA period. Dude is getting horrible advice. Hes more known for the hit on the Michigan kid than anything hes done in the pros.

kskboys

Reaction score
Since he's already turned down 15 mil, of course not. That would be a weird contract.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
hes part of the All-Name, No-Game team...

Clowney is basically living off that one play where he blew a blocker back into the backfield, can't remember if it was in college or the pros, but like Doug Flutie's "hail mary" throw, one play can lead to a fairly long career in the NFL, teams think that one play means he "must" have what it takes to be a top flight quarterback.:laugh:

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Since he's already turned down 15 mil, of course not. That would be a weird contract.

The point was he won't play for a contract that requires production. Yes, it's an odd contract for sure, but wants to be paid like guy who gets to the QB about twice as often as he really does.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Man how can you walk away from 15 million for a season? he probably gets less on the open market next year as well. I think it’s a dumb move for him.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Well, he ended up getting 13 million plus 2 million in incentives.