Twitter: PFF - Bryon Jones solidified himself as one of the NFL's best CB in 2018

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He reminds me of T-New.....will never lead the league in interceptions but top 5 CB otherwise. Like T-New, he rarely gives up six points. I'm guessing if we can get Coop signed prior 2020, Stephen may consider tagging Byron. From what I tell though, his stock in FO is a lot higher than many fans realize.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
PFF’s own metrics suggest he’s a fringe top 10 CB in the league. That’s probably about right. If he can just generate more turnovers he’ll become truly elite.

That's his struggle and he knows it. He talked about it a couple of years ago......getting more interceptions. Say he was close many time but .....

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He will absolutely get resigned.

Not because Jerry likes CB's but because he is a solid Pro Bowl player (under appreciated by most fans) and that is a critical position.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
He's a good man corner because he is very athletic and has the size and length. But he will never be elite due to his lack of instincts. He's average at best in zone coverage. Doesn't make plays on the ball because he can't anticipate. He's a good corner but some things just can't be taught.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
what was I saying about how being a cowboy gets you a little more praise than you might otherwise desrve? and that make sit harder to keep players. Another prime example of what I was talking about. Jones had a good season. How many picks did he have>? For the first time Ive heard people mentioning letting him go because he is going to need big dollars..... yep, this is another example of what im talking about.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he, as the other DB's learn to turn toward the ball instead of just sticking their hands in the face of the WR. They will get more INT's than PI's.

This is where Richard and Jackson as coaches are failing. They need to fix that.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Jourdan Lewis is the best defensive back on this team but you'd never know it if I wasn't here to educate you.
Fair (playmaker wise), it should be Jones and Lewis as starters with him moving to slot for nickel.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I like BJ;)and hope he has a great season, but let's be clear, he's no racing lizard:laugh:

lostar2009

Reaction score
I would like to but still feeling some type of way about his playoff mistakes. I wonder what his asking price would be? I think he may be better off going into FA.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
He's a good man corner because he is very athletic and has the size and length. But he will never be elite due to his lack of instincts. He's average at best in zone coverage. Doesn't make plays on the ball because he can't anticipate. He's a good corner but some things just can't be taught.

Yep was going to say the same. You're not going to learn instincts suddenly playing at the highest level of competition. Still a good player nonetheless.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fair (playmaker wise), it should be Jones and Lewis as starters with him moving to slot for nickel.

There is nothing to validate that Lewis should be starting over the other 3.

I posted an extensive review of Brown and Lewis from my study of the all-22 footage from 2017 and 2018.

There was nothing conclusive in regards to Lewis being better than Brown; although, there also was nothing conclusive with regards to Brown being better than Lewis.

Many people claiming Lewis shutdown Kamara but Lewis only played 8 snaps on defense in that game.
It was great to have solid 4th CB to to play Dime against Kamara but that's the extent of it.

Lewis carries himself in a way that makes him appear to fans; however, the other 3 CBs are very talented.

I was a huge fan of Lewis after he was shown standing up to Dez on the All-or-Nothing series.

It's possible that he could become better than Brown but as I said, there is nothing to indicate that Lewis definitely should have been starting over any of the other 3.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
what was I saying about how being a cowboy gets you a little more praise than you might otherwise desrve? and that make sit harder to keep players. Another prime example of what I was talking about. Jones had a good season. How many picks did he have>? For the first time Ive heard people mentioning letting him go because he is going to need big dollars..... yep, this is another example of what im talking about.
He is expected to be expensive because he made the Pro Bowl and was All-Pro in his 1st year as a full time CB. That would make him expensive regardless of what team the played on.

Starting CBs play over 1000 snaps in the regular season.

A really good number for INTs is 7 which lead the league in 2018.

Being one of if not the top coverage CB on over 1000 snaps is going to result in a sizable contract regardless of INTs.

Other GMs will blame part of the lack of INTs on the Cowboys defensive scheme. The bend-don't-break style does not encourage taking risks to get INTs like some defensive scheme would.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He reminds me of T-New.....will never lead the league in interceptions but top 5 CB otherwise. Like T-New, he rarely gives up six points. I'm guessing if we can get Coop signed prior 2020, Stephen may consider tagging Byron. From what I tell though, his stock in FO is a lot higher than many fans realize.

They need to sign 2 of Dak, Cooper and Jones in 2019 in order to keep the Franchise tag for the other one.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
There is nothing to validate that Lewis should be starting over the other 3.

I posted an extensive review of Brown and Lewis from my study of the all-22 footage from 2017 and 2018.

There was nothing conclusive in regards to Lewis being better than Brown; although, there also was nothing conclusive with regards to Brown being better than Lewis.

Many people claiming Lewis shutdown Kamara but Lewis only played 8 snaps on defense in that game.
It was great to have solid 4th CB to to play Dime against Kamara but that's the extent of it.

Lewis carries himself in a way that makes him appear to fans; however, the other 3 CBs are very talented.

I was a huge fan of Lewis after he was shown standing up to Dez on the All-or-Nothing series.

It's possible that he could become better than Brown but as I said, there is nothing to indicate that Lewis definitely should have been starting over any of the other 3.
He's the only one who seems to have a nose for the ball or plays with anticipation. Looks back for the ball, etc.Maybe not head and shoulders above Brown, but he seems to make plays when allowed to be on the field. Brown did imp a lot last season to his credit.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

The final 5 games the team played including playoffs the secondary gave up 5 tds. Jones gave up 3 of them. On the yr the secondary gave up 8 tds. So basically he gave up almost half of the scores the secondary was credited for giving up.